A Day in the Life

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

A Day in the Life

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

I was just listening to A Day in the Life, the episode where a Hollywood movie crew comes to Odyssey to make a movie. I've heard it before, but this was the first time I realized there were references to the Adventures in Odyssey movies. When they said they combined all the kids into one child, I almost started laughing. And I did start laughing when Connie complained that her character was cut completely.

Probably most of you knew this already, but I never watched the videos when I was a kid. We didn't have a TV. I watched a few of them for the first time a couple years ago when they were on the jelly telly website.

I thought the ending of the episode was particularly fitting for comparing the Odyssey movie to...well...the Odyssey movies. Whit says at the end that he hopes people don't think that what the movie portrayed was the real Odyssey. I don't know how many times I've cringed when I mention Adventures in Odyssey and someone responds "Oh yeah, I used to watch those." I've taken to saying "Adventures in Odyssey movies are NOT real Odyssey."

Anyone else have this problem? Meeting people who think Odyssey is just a few cheesy kids movies?
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

I grew up listening to the audio and watched a handful of the videos, but never really liked them. But I JUST listened to that episode a couple days ago and then read in one of the guides that it was a spoof on the videos. So, I didn't notice on my own. I just found out a couple days ago. And then I told pretty much everybody I've seen since then.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

I watched them when I am bored to death [or when I couldn't be on the computer because Tina was watching them :evil: ] Kinda of cheesy. They are okay for cartons
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

I grew up listening on the radio, and watching the movies since my church had all of them. I'm not even sure which one I experienced first. I loved both series, and really, as a kid saw them as equals.
Now, as I've long outgrown the videos, but have yet to 'outgrow' the radio show, I can easily say which is better.

And yes! I have totally had that where someone only knows Odyssey based on the movies. It always becomes this awkward moment, as they believe I have just admitted to daily watching movies they watched when they were eight. I'll always tell them the radio show is way better, but they still look at me skeptically.

"Have you ever heard of Adventures in Odyssey?"
"Yeah, I used to watch those, when I was seven"
"Oooh. That hardly counts. There's a radio show that's way better."
"For older kids?"
"Uh... Not technically. They just have way better storylines... Like, there's this whole really good story arc where a company tries to take over people's minds and then...."
(Very skeptically) "Well... That's.... Very nice for you. See you later."

Ahh, alas, the sad world we live in.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

I am afraid that I used to be one of those "Only knows about the movies" people. I didn't end up having one of those conversations that Dallas mentioned, for two reasons. One: The friend that introduced me to Odyssey(the radio show) didn't tell me about it, he showed me, or rather, he showed my ears. Two: Even though I was older than the age range(for the movies), I still enjoyed them. Not anymore, but two years ago, I still enjoyed them, so I wasn't skeptical of the radio show because of the movies.

But thankfully, I am now a HUGE fan of the radio show.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

Dallas R. wrote: "Have you ever heard of Adventures in Odyssey?"
"Yeah, I used to watch those, when I was seven"
"Oooh. That hardly counts. There's a radio show that's way better."
"For older kids?"
"Uh... Not technically. They just have way better storylines... Like, there's this whole really good story arc where a company tries to take over people's minds and then...."
(Very skeptically) "Well... That's.... Very nice for you. See you later."

Ahh, alas, the sad world we live in.
So true!! And people wonder why I'm so excited to go to a live recording of a kids radio drama. They just don't understand.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

In "I Slap Floor," Whit starts talking about making a flying boat, with balloons and nets, "...and we can use it to rescue people!" And then, when everyone says it's a bad idea, he says, "Fine, but don't come to me the next time someone gets stuck on a clock tower!" It made me laugh tremendously. :D :D :D
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

~JCGJ~ wrote:In "I Slap Floor," Whit starts talking about making a flying boat, with balloons and nets, "...and we can use it to rescue people!" And then, when everyone says it's a bad idea, he says, "Fine, but don't come to me the next time someone gets stuck on a clock tower!" It made me laugh tremendously. :D :D :D
"It's made out of a boat with oars! And big helium balloons! And a propeller! We can use it to rescue people!"
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

There's a very conservative family in our church, as in, they don't watch or read anything non-Christian, and they don't do video-games etc. I once talked to the younger kids about AIO, and the guy that's 2 or 3 years older than me, and they thought they were stupid and silly, because they watched the videos. And one of the kids was 6! But we have two families in our church that listen to it, and one that used to. :)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Hmmm. It makes sense but for some reason I thought that episode pre-dated the video series.

But yeah, they were pretty bad. I always wished they would just take the audio from popular episodes and animate them. :(
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Some of the videos are based on episodes. For instance, "Escape From the Forbidden Matrix" is based on "Gloobers!". ;)
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Joy wrote:anything non-Christian, and they don't do video-games etc.
Not even Super 3D Noah's Ark? :shock:
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

LOL @ Super Noah's Ark 3D. Literally the same game as Wolfenstein 3D but with animals instead of Nazis.
rickyderocher
My posts are revolutionary

Post by rickyderocher »

"We combined all the kids into one - David Darling - a fun loving precocious ten year old."

David Darling = Dylan Taylor