Favourite children's book

Childhood memories

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Favourite children's book

Post by Catspaw »

I can't remember the name of one of the books that I loved when I was little, but it was about a cat who got tired of living with her owner and ran away. The cat had a good time for a while, but she got lonely, so she went back home and was happy again. Most of Dr. Suess's books qualify as happy memory-inducers as well. And, of course, there was The Poky Little Puppy. I used to adore that book, and now I have trouble remembering what it was about. I think that the poky little puppy was late for dinner because he was too slow and his mom got upset, or something like that. But there was a happy ending, I'm sure!

Tell all - no book is too silly or too trite to qualify as your favourite!
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

There was a Sesame Street book that liked I to read. Grover says at the beginning that a monter's at the end of the book, so DON'T TURN THE PAGE!! Of course you turn it anyway, and Grover gets mad and tries to stop you from turning the page. At the end, the "monster" is Grover himself.

But now, I am a dignified doctor and never, ever read such things. :^o

Cheerio,

DW
Andrea Meltsner
I've been working out

Post by Andrea Meltsner »

I used to read the Dictonary and the Encyclopedia, really I loved them! of course it was the Seseme street encyclopedia and the children's encyclopedia...

tiny font tiny font! hehehehe amok :amok amok
Last edited by Andrea Meltsner on Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor Who is Awesome

I couldn't stay away

Nerdfighter for Life!
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Dr. Watson wrote:There was a Sesame Street book that liked I to read. Grover says at the beginning that a monter's at the end of the book, so DON'T TURN THE PAGE!! Of course you turn it anyway, and Grover gets mad and tries to stop you from turning the page. At the end, the "monster" is Grover himself.

Cheerio,

DW
Ooh, I loved that book. Especially whenever my mom read it to me. 8-[

:: laugh ::

Although all-time favorites included a Dr. Seuss book that include five or six stories. I'd read them over and over again.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

My mom used to read me "Bitsy Bunny"- some others were Corduroy, I'll love you forever,....

When i was in elementary school....Charlotte's Web, Mr. Popper's Penguins, The borrowers(which i loved so much that for a while i imagined that there really were little people living in my house!!!), and the MANDIE books!!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I used to read the Mandie books! I still own the first 30 or so, but I gradually outgrew them as I got older. I was definitely over the target age range when I stopped reading them, though. One of the problems that I had was that nothing ever progressed enough. Book after book led to many different situations, but Mandie and Joe's relationship, for example, remained stagnant. As I got older and read other books, I got tired of wondering if anything would ever happen!
Sunday
Popsicle kid

Post by Sunday »

Peach and Blue by Sarah S. Kilbourne. It's worth a trip to the library to find out what its about.
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

There was a little story book I loved called "Fernando" or something. And I really loved the Sadie Rose books, I still do, but they're a little too young for me now.
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

I loved the Beatrix Potter books. I remember when I was first learning how to read and I would challenge myself by trying to read them. The stories may be simple, but the vocabularly is fairly advanced. I remember when I got the book featuring the entire collection of stories. Probably the best thing about them is their superb artwork.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Ferder wrote:I loved the Beatrix Potter books. I remember when I was first learning how to read and I would challenge myself by trying to read them. The stories may be simple, but the vocabularly is fairly advanced. I remember when I got the book featuring the entire collection of stories. Probably the best thing about them is their superb artwork.
I remember attempting to read her books. I remember screaming my head off at some of the crazy things the characters would do. Especially Peter Rabbit. That rabbit. :: shakes head ::
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

So many of those books are ones I used to read! :D Favorites... I enjoyed so many it's hard to name one.
Dr. Watson wrote:There was a Sesame Street book that liked I to read. Grover says at the beginning that a monter's at the end of the book, so DON'T TURN THE PAGE!! Of course you turn it anyway, and Grover gets mad and tries to stop you from turning the page. At the end, the "monster" is Grover himself.

Cheerio,

DW
Haha! :lol: I used to read that book too. It was so funny to me when I was young. :roll:
Catspaw wrote:I used to read the Mandie books! I still own the first 30 or so, but I gradually outgrew them as I got older. I was definitely over the target age range when I stopped reading them, though. One of the problems that I had was that nothing ever progressed enough. Book after book led to many different situations, but Mandie and Joe's relationship, for example, remained stagnant. As I got older and read other books, I got tired of wondering if anything would ever happen!
I read those too but you’re right about them getting stagnant. Mandie was fun for awhile. :)
Fenix
The Rich

Post by Fenix »

I didnt read all that much when I was little but those books by Dr. Suez (sp?) were really funny at the time. Pretty much because of the pictures of weird people, or whatever it is that they are. They made really little sense to me but they looked great. And in class all the students would compete over who got to take those books out from the library. I dont know why but I think the only reason I liked it was becasue everyone else did. If i think more clearly now I dont really like it at alll.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I can remember these books: Magic School Bus, Boxcar Kids, pokey little puppy, Clifford, hm, I think that's all. I did a lot of reading when I was little, so it's safe to say I missed some.

-Jonathan
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

4-6 years old:curious george, bernsatan bears, dr.suess
7-9 years old:Goosebumps,Beverly clearly books, and assorrted stuff
9-13 years old:LOTR,ernest hemmingway,Jhon grisham,and MANGA,SoUE,and others
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

The Cat in the Hat, the Little House books and Nancy Drew.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

My favorite kid's book of all time is Mike Mulligan and His Steamshovel. I like a ton of other ones, but that is the best.
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

Cheerio,

DW
I loved that book! (Which is called "The mOnster at the end of this book". I had a big hardback version and I've tried finding it on eBay lately--but they only have these little wimpy editions.....

My fave book was Pickle Chiffon Pie...which I've also tried finding on eBay but it sells for like $70.00....

There was a nother really good book where this town had food fall fromt eh sky, but I don't remember the name of it. I also loved Mrs. Pigglewiggle.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

jessicado wrote:I also loved Mrs. Pigglewiggle.
Those were great books. :lol:
Bandit Squirrel
OK

Post by Bandit Squirrel »

Whenever I was sick, I would get out all of our Berenstein Bear books and read them when I was five or six. I loved the books: Wait for William and Who'll Mind Henry, and a lot of others.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Cheerio,

DW
Yep. "The Moster at the End of the Book". I used to love that one!

I liked any Dr. Suess books, esp. "Marvin K. Moony, would you please you now?"

And I also read the Mandie books. I have all of them, since the series stopped after 40 books, and I figured that it doesn't make sense to have just part of a series of books. I just recently bought the last 6 or so. Haven't read them yet, though.