577: "The Business of Busyness"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

Your rating for this show.

5 Stars-Awesomeness!
15%
4 Stars-Really Good!
38%
3 Stars-Average Episode.
44%
2 Stars-Not so good.
3%
1 Star-Awful!
No votes

Total votes: 34

Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Laurie wrote:
mr.whit wrote:yeah but eugenes never acted like one
lol
Connie hasn't either, especially around Eugene.
And I'm going to have disagree with both of you. Like all of us, they have their good days and bad.
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

i guess youre right at that
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Jonathan wrote:
Laurie wrote:
mr.whit wrote:yeah but eugenes never acted like one
lol
Connie hasn't either, especially around Eugene.
And I'm going to have disagree with both of you. Like all of us, they have their good days and bad.
True enough.
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

you're only a kid once, but you can be immature the rest of your life. Not that Connie and Eugene are immature.
Anyway, I really liked the episode. For some reason I didn't notice any of the flaws everyone else did when I listened to it. I gave it a 5/5.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Here I thought the episode was pretty good and then I come here and find the negative reviews. ](*,)

I, for one, thought the storyline with the Washingtons did a good job of conveying a family image that's been lacking for too long. The storyline of families having too many activities taking up their time is very common and overused today. But it's also true. I know many families just like that so the topic is relevant. Shows like this and "Sunday Morning Scramble" are making me appreciate the Washingons as a family.

After reading some of these reviews, I am thinking more about the negative aspects of the show. It is true that sometimes the comedy takes over... like we are always supposed to be laughing. Sometimes things can border on the ridiculous. However, little comments like Ed talking to the chicken are cute.

I was surprised to hear Connie's radio show again, since it seems to be used a lot now, but I guess it works. They tried to make Connie her typical self, but she's getting pretty annoying. I do picture her as a blonde, but she's getting positively ditzy. The Connie in early years had some character flaws and some growing to do, but she was heading the right way and working on it. Now she seems stuck in a perpetual silliness.

Like others, I wondered where Katrina was in the show. It made no sense after hearing Eugene and Katrina's "big decision" at the end of "Back to Abnormal," that Eugene was doing this all alone. It also seems crazy that he'd just offer "help" and not expect to be overrun with the ridiculous. All I could guess is that the AIO team either didn't want to bring in Katrina's actress for the recording or she just wasn't available. :shrug:

It was good to hear on this show that Eugene's organization is based in Whit's End and is funded by the Armitage Shanks Foundation (I think that's what it was called). That makes a little more sense. I'm wondering, though, if Eugene considers his organization Christian or if he's just doing general philanthropy. :-k

I'm terrible at giving new episodes a ranking... usually I have to sit on them over time and see how they stand the test.
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

i am listening to it now
Robert Mitchell
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Robert Mitchell »

I haven't heard this ep yet, but plan to.
Vote RM for the *Unofficial*! | You Need to See This!
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

I liked the ep. I gave it 4 stars.
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

"The Business of Busyness" is average. Two separate storylines revolving around the same theme somehow merge-- classic, but not outstanding.

I am glad the Meltsners' organization changed its name from PLEASE; that was corny, not that I don't like corny acronyms. I really like the new name, Hand Up. It's clever, and well, I'm a sucker for Latin (even though I don't recall the name!).

This episode involved the Meltsners' philanthropic organization, great! It's nice to see a progression.

The verdict: 2.5/5. Nothing stood out.
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

it was an average ep. i like it but isn't my new favorite.
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

I gave it 3 stars. I enjoyed it all right.
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

The NO Factor anyone??

This sounded a lot like a repeat value from an old episode
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I enjoyed this episode! Tying Marvin up was a bit much, but it was nice to see the Washington family interacting and trying to make time for devotions, which is something that a lot of families struggle with as everybody's lives get busy.

It was good to see Eugene and his organization be featured, since I had been worried that it would just fall off the face of the planet. I agree with those who found it odd that Katrina wasn't there to help him out, but perhaps she was away visiting her mother, or perhaps with Maude, with both of them visiting both of their mothers. ;)

This get a 3 or a 4 - I find it hard to choose a rating, so I'll be wishy-washy and not actually choose one. ;)
spiderman
insert dash here

Post by spiderman »

i though it was good but last 3 weeks have been better. i gave it 4 stars
Aslan
Smile for the camera

Post by Aslan »

great episode

Life is worth living, so live the best life that you can
Kenric
If posts were pigs...

Post by Kenric »

I didn't mention it before, but I too found it odd that Katrina was here. "Lucy, you got some 'splainin to do!!" I'll leave you sitcom lovers to figure out which show that quote alludes to...:P
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Witness4Jesus wrote:I didn't mention it before, but I too found it odd that Katrina was here. "Lucy, you got some 'splainin to do!!" I'll leave you sitcom lovers to figure out which show that quote alludes to...:P
Uh... I love Lucy? :-k
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Witness4Jesus wrote:I didn't mention it before, but I too found it odd that Katrina was here.
But...she...wasn't... :-k

BC
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

The BC wrote:
Witness4Jesus wrote:I didn't mention it before, but I too found it odd that Katrina was here.
But...she...wasn't... :-k

BC
I'm sure Witness4Jesus just overlooked a "not" when he was writing that. :)
Nathan Hoobler
AIO Writer

Post by Nathan Hoobler »

Reviews from AIOHQ

Review from Alex, age 11
Rating: 4 stars
This is a good episode. It's funny when Marvin falls asleep on his pancakes. Marvin sounds older. Still a great episode

Review from SManBeyond, age 19
Rating: 3 stars
I should say this now so I can get it out of the way: I am not a fan of the direction AIO has taken in the past six years. Aside from the usual complaints, my beef with AIO episodes now is that each of them inevitably involves what I will call a "sinker." A "sinker" is some kind of situation or plot twist that is either so bad, badly written, over the top or unbelievable that it kills the episode.

Take, for instance, "Odyssey Sings!" where Cryin' Bryan Dern chews out his own mother in a scene with less than realistic dialogue. Or take the episode where Bart takes a vacuum cleaner from the trash and gives it away in an Electric Palace contest with perhaps the most ridiculous rules ever invented. Harlow Doyle is perhaps the only exception to this rule, given his continuity and the fact that he's actually funny.

Similarly, in "Back to Abnormal", I was particularly flabbergasted by Eugene's decision to found a philanthropic corporation specific to Odyssey ALONE with no particular structure, vision or goal besides "helping people." Perhaps if Eugene was single, this would make more sense. But Eugene is married to a woman from a rich background and with knowledge of the business world. You think her knowledge and experience would have helped Eugene develop a stronger organization with a set plan and course of action.

I say all this because "The Business of Busyness" feels more like a sequel to "Back to Abnormal" rather than a good followup to "Prisoners of Fear." In this sense, I think it was badly placed in terms of scheduling.

But it at least points out and solved (to a limited extent) the very problem I was worried about at the end of "Back to Abnormal" when Eugene announced his decision: If you don't know HOW you're going to help people, you'll end up stretched beyond your resources. Eugene finally paid the consequences for his organization having no set vision, structure or goal. My misgiving is that Eugene's organization still exists at the end of the episode and that it still has no set plan for HOW to teach people how to help others, but at least he's on a step in the right direction. Where Katrina was in all this, I don't know, but I didn't mind: Eugene not being able to map out his organization is far more believable than Eugene and Katrina both being unable to map out their organization.

In terms of dialogue, Eugene was well written in about 90% of his scenes. I particularly enjoyed the scene where the phone is ringing off the hook and he loses his cool.

Unfortunately, Connie (and to some extent, Whit) were subpar. Take, for instance, the scenes where Eugene and Connie are on the air. Those was great comic potential in both those scenes, but instead they were given very basic and bland dialogue. This came across also in the delivery: Katie Leigh didn't sound like she had much of a fun time reading those scenes. Those two scenes, by the way, are where the missing 10% of Eugene's dialogue score went.

So why am I giving it 3 stars? Aside from my complaints about Eugene's organization, this episode did provide a fairly decent storyline that didn't have a "sinker." Also, while I complained about Connie's and Whit's dialogue, they appeared so infrequently that it wasn't felt. I also liked the storylines with the Washingtons. They are well-acted and have good (although not distinctive) dialogue. I do hope, however, that AIO will use them to touch on racial issues and tensions. Kids need to be taught it, as ethnic cliques are visible in both schools and adult social circles alike.

Next week's review will be all the more harder and all the more interesting to write, given that the episode is written by the webmaster of this site (AIOHQ) himself...
[/b]