EUROPE!!!

because everything is US-centric as it is

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

EUROPE!!!

Postby Marvin D. » Mon May 18, 2020 3:52 pm

so i feel slightly in the minority here since i live in Europe (mostly in amsterdam, although i did live in madrid last year), and i feel like most ToOers are either in the US or Canada (with the exception of aussie aio fan and Jennifer from Sweden, as far as I can remember), so given that this is probably the most active the ToO will be in a long time...

...what was your favorite european country that you've all been to?? has anyone been to amsterdam? \:D/
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
i haz xpirenancee!!1
User avatar
Marvin D.

and now i see daylight, i only see daylight

 
Posts: 19496
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:24 am
Location: Amsterdam
Age: 23
Gender: Female

Cash on hand: 168.72
Bank: 10,500.00
Blog: View Blog (27)

Re: EUROPE!!!

Postby Sparrow » Mon May 18, 2020 3:54 pm

Europe doesn't exist. YOU'RE NOT REAL.
Image
Why am I even here?
User avatar
Sparrow

You misspelled "Weltanschauung."

 
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:42 am
Age: 24
Gender: Female

Cash on hand: 387.50

Re: EUROPE!!!

Postby Marvin D. » Mon May 18, 2020 3:56 pm

Sparrow wrote:Europe doesn't exist. YOU'RE NOT REAL.

she says, with a status using a german word :noway: IF EUROPE ISN'T REAL HOW IS WELTANSCHAUUNG REAL????
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
i haz xpirenancee!!1
User avatar
Marvin D.

and now i see daylight, i only see daylight

 
Posts: 19496
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:24 am
Location: Amsterdam
Age: 23
Gender: Female

Cash on hand: 168.72
Bank: 10,500.00
Blog: View Blog (27)

Re: EUROPE!!!

Postby Sparrow » Mon May 18, 2020 4:00 pm

Marvin D. wrote:
Sparrow wrote:Europe doesn't exist. YOU'RE NOT REAL.

she says, with a status using a german word :noway: IF EUROPE ISN'T REAL HOW IS WELTANSCHAUUNG REAL????


I'm sick of all this "sensibility" and "logic" and "you're using a German word in your status!" Ridiculous, I say. Ridiculous. :noway:

However, if Europe were real I would naturally love to visit Germany. And Amsterdam, of course, where I would hope to receive free food and lodging and extensive and highly dedicated tour guide services offered by a certain ToOer. \:D/
Image
Why am I even here?
User avatar
Sparrow

You misspelled "Weltanschauung."

 
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:42 am
Age: 24
Gender: Female

Cash on hand: 387.50

Re: EUROPE!!!

Postby Marvin D. » Mon May 18, 2020 4:03 pm

the first part of your post reminds me of Joey from Friends using air quotes far too liberally...such as when he says "'I'm 'sorry'!"

i'm honestly not the biggest fan of Germany, i've been in passing a few times since it's so close to the NL, and i went to cologne a few years ago. i was gonna go to berlin 2 months ago but then coronavirus happened :(

i actually do bike tours in amsterdam! so if you're here (and can handle a bike), you can get a tour :-
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
i haz xpirenancee!!1
User avatar
Marvin D.

and now i see daylight, i only see daylight

 
Posts: 19496
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:24 am
Location: Amsterdam
Age: 23
Gender: Female

Cash on hand: 168.72
Bank: 10,500.00
Blog: View Blog (27)

Re: EUROPE!!!

Postby Sparrow » Mon May 18, 2020 4:33 pm

Marvin D. wrote:the first part of your post reminds me of Joey from Friends using air quotes far too liberally...such as when he says "'I'm 'sorry'!"

I made it about five episodes into Friends before realizing it was not the show for me, so this is an unfamiliar reference. :-

Marvin D. wrote:i'm honestly not the biggest fan of Germany, i've been in passing a few times since it's so close to the NL, and i went to cologne a few years ago. i was gonna go to berlin 2 months ago but then coronavirus happened :(

Yeah, I'd mainly want to visit Germany because that's where a lot of my family's originally from (though I don't know any relatives who still live there). I'd love to see Greece for similar reasons! I'm sorry you missed out on your trip to Berlin, though. I feel awful for everyone who missed out on travel because of COVID. :(

Marvin D. wrote:i actually do bike tours in amsterdam! so if you're here (and can handle a bike), you can get a tour :-

LIMOUSINE OR BUST, MAN. :x I want to see the city in style!
Image
Why am I even here?
User avatar
Sparrow

You misspelled "Weltanschauung."

 
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:42 am
Age: 24
Gender: Female

Cash on hand: 387.50

Re: EUROPE!!!

Postby Marvin D. » Mon May 18, 2020 4:45 pm

why did you hate friends if i can ask? :-k although over the years i don't like it as much as when i was younger tbf

ooh well it's not a terrible place either! i'm just hatin' but i loved cologne and bonn, and berlin is a must-see for sure even tho i haven't been yet >.>

WHEN IN AMSTERDAM, BIKE LIKE THE AMSTERDAMMERS :x here's a video of one of the busier crossing in amsterdam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqQSwQLDIK8 fun fact: the street running lengthwise is where i used to work, 200m up or so. this is also during rush hour so MOST OF THE CITY IS NOT THAT BAD, however this crossing is probably one of the worst :p
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
i haz xpirenancee!!1
User avatar
Marvin D.

and now i see daylight, i only see daylight

 
Posts: 19496
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:24 am
Location: Amsterdam
Age: 23
Gender: Female

Cash on hand: 168.72
Bank: 10,500.00
Blog: View Blog (27)

Re: EUROPE!!!

Postby Sparrow » Tue May 19, 2020 8:22 pm

Marvin D. wrote:why did you hate friends if i can ask? :-k although over the years i don't like it as much as when i was younger tbf
You know, it's been a while since I watched any of it, but probably it was just that I tend to have a hard time watching anything with a laugh track. :anxious: I also remember not finding any of the plot points terribly interesting and thinking that everyone on the show was really loud when they talked, which I found quite unpleasant. Parts of it are funny for sure! But overall I didn't think it was interesting enough to watch more than a few episodes.

Marvin D. wrote:WHEN IN AMSTERDAM, BIKE LIKE THE AMSTERDAMMERS :x here's a video of one of the busier crossing in amsterdam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqQSwQLDIK8 fun fact: the street running lengthwise is where i used to work, 200m up or so. this is also during rush hour so MOST OF THE CITY IS NOT THAT BAD, however this crossing is probably one of the worst :p
I am a fragile country flower and I do not do heavy traffic, especially on a bicycle. :noway: I am sorry that it had to end like this but it seems like it must.
Image
Why am I even here?
User avatar
Sparrow

You misspelled "Weltanschauung."

 
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:42 am
Age: 24
Gender: Female

Cash on hand: 387.50

Re: EUROPE!!!

Postby jelly » Tue May 19, 2020 9:43 pm

I've been not-so-secretly in love with Denmark from afar for about eight years and I'm very, very excited to visit one day soon. :pray:
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob
User avatar
jelly

the guy who used to watch a lot of films

 
Posts: 9224
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 4:39 pm
Location: Western Canada
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash on hand: 1,315.50
Bank: 4,500.00

Re: EUROPE!!!

Postby snubs » Wed May 20, 2020 12:13 am

Marvin D. wrote:here's a video of one of the busier crossing in amsterdam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqQSwQLDIK8 fun fact: the street running lengthwise is where i used to work, 200m up or so. this is also during rush hour so MOST OF THE CITY IS NOT THAT BAD, however this crossing is probably one of the worst :p
So how many people get hit by cars on the reg? :-k or are in bike accidents in general? :-k Also, what is even the point of driving a car when the road was clearly made for the bikes! The cars look so awkward trying to get through. xD

They are also in need of some traffic lights, jeez, settle down.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
Image
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | AIO T-Shirts |
Ultimate side-character!
User avatar
snubs

is Kaida's friend.

 
Posts: 8410
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:39 am
Location: Loserville
Age: 28
Gender: Female

Cash on hand: 16.94
Bank: 15,900.00

Re: EUROPE!!!

Postby Marvin D. » Wed May 20, 2020 3:41 am

Sparrow wrote:
Marvin D. wrote:why did you hate friends if i can ask? :-k although over the years i don't like it as much as when i was younger tbf
You know, it's been a while since I watched any of it, but probably it was just that I tend to have a hard time watching anything with a laugh track. :anxious: I also remember not finding any of the plot points terribly interesting and thinking that everyone on the show was really loud when they talked, which I found quite unpleasant. Parts of it are funny for sure! But overall I didn't think it was interesting enough to watch more than a few episodes.

Marvin D. wrote:WHEN IN AMSTERDAM, BIKE LIKE THE AMSTERDAMMERS :x here's a video of one of the busier crossing in amsterdam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqQSwQLDIK8 fun fact: the street running lengthwise is where i used to work, 200m up or so. this is also during rush hour so MOST OF THE CITY IS NOT THAT BAD, however this crossing is probably one of the worst :p
I am a fragile country flower and I do not do heavy traffic, especially on a bicycle. :noway: I am sorry that it had to end like this but it seems like it must.

fair enough! i'm not a big fan of laugh tracks tbh, so i do get what you mean. and yes, they can be a bit loud. if i didn't grow up watching it i wouldn't have cared anymore.

well, it was a fun run while it lasted :noway:

jelly wrote:I've been not-so-secretly in love with Denmark from afar for about eight years and I'm very, very excited to visit one day soon. :pray:

i still haven't been :( a good friend of mine is from there and could take us to copenhagen or aarhus but still no dice :(

snubs wrote:
Marvin D. wrote:here's a video of one of the busier crossing in amsterdam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqQSwQLDIK8 fun fact: the street running lengthwise is where i used to work, 200m up or so. this is also during rush hour so MOST OF THE CITY IS NOT THAT BAD, however this crossing is probably one of the worst :p
So how many people get hit by cars on the reg? :-k or are in bike accidents in general? :-k Also, what is even the point of driving a car when the road was clearly made for the bikes! The cars look so awkward trying to get through. xD

They are also in need of some traffic lights, jeez, settle down.

the city center is NOT car friendly at all, very few people own a car and there's no point to, honestly, unless you commute far out where there's bad public transit. none of my friends own a car, it's just not needed, and parking is upwards of 50 euros a day, so around 60 dollars, and a parking spot you rent out if you own a car would be a few hundred a month. accidents are very minimal! mostly tourists sometimes, but honestly everyone is used to how the flow of traffic is. most places do have traffic lights, just not that crossing. in the beginning it was overwhelming for me to cycle around but there haven't been any major incidents \:D/
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
i haz xpirenancee!!1
User avatar
Marvin D.

and now i see daylight, i only see daylight

 
Posts: 19496
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:24 am
Location: Amsterdam
Age: 23
Gender: Female

Cash on hand: 168.72
Bank: 10,500.00
Blog: View Blog (27)

Re: EUROPE!!!

Postby Danadelfos » Wed May 20, 2020 8:27 am

My favorites based off of memories are probably Bavaria, although not a country, I just love that area. I also really had fun in Belgium. Very pretty countryside. And then maybe Austria? We stayed at a farm, and I really loved the country feel.

In terms of cities, I think I liked Bern, I didn't really enjoy any of the big cities like London or Paris, however Roma is really interesting, and Praha is really beautiful! I just don't like busy and crowded cities. Most of my hobbies are outdoor/exercise related and not people related so I think that's a big part of it.
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Image
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic
User avatar
Danadelfos

Learning. :-)

 
Posts: 6882
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:58 pm
Location: Colorado
Gender: Male

Cash on hand: 832.88
Bank: 54.06

Re: EUROPE!!!

Postby Termite » Wed May 20, 2020 9:16 am

So far, I have been to Ireland and England. One of my good friends is a missionary youth pastor in the former, so I got to finally see her FIVE YEARS after graduation, and WOW what a place to have to visit, you know?? And, honestly, I know the rest of Europe is beautiful - the alps, the lakes; all the wonderful things - but Ireland will probably always be my favorite. To stereotype, it's so green. Heaven on Earth.

Danadelfos wrote:I didn't really enjoy any of the big cities like London or Paris, however Roma is really interesting, and Praha is really beautiful! I just don't like busy and crowded cities. Most of my hobbies are outdoor/exercise related and not people related so I think that's a big part of it.

:o I enjoyed London. My friend and I popped over there from Limerick, so we were only there a couple days, but I really liked walking around. Of course, we did more of the touristy thing, which is really all there is to do in London, buuut I still enjoyed it.

(it didn't hurt that the van Gogh exhibit was there and I spent two hours wandering around crying I was so happy)

We also spent a day out in the countryside with a mutual friend there; that was absolutely fantastic!

I am planning to be in France for three months at the end of this year working for a pastor there, and so that's exciting \:D/ We'll be in easy reach of Switzerland and Italy. If things are a bit more okay in the world at that point, I'll be going over to serve and hopefully seeing the homeland, as well.
Last edited by Termite on Wed May 20, 2020 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image
Love you always, SnC
"Satan can't take your joy unless he disturbs your sense of right-standing with God." -Roy H Hicks
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
"Stop boring me and think. It's the new sexy." -Sherlock
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance
User avatar
Termite

was eaten by a dinosaur.

 
Posts: 6643
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:34 pm
Location: *running from Tate Realtors*
Age: 25

Cash on hand: 22.46
Bank: 1,958.80
Blog: View Blog (4)

Re: EUROPE!!!

Postby Marvin D. » Wed May 20, 2020 9:31 am

i'm a HUGE london fan, although in general i love cities :p I really love the hustle and bustle, although living there long-term wouldn't work out because i wouldn't be a big fan of commuting on the Tube/Underground because it's so busy :( but there's a lot going on in London always and that's why I love it

dublin is probably the top place i want to go and yet still haven't made it after so long :noway:

also where in France will you be? \:D/
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
i haz xpirenancee!!1
User avatar
Marvin D.

and now i see daylight, i only see daylight

 
Posts: 19496
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:24 am
Location: Amsterdam
Age: 23
Gender: Female

Cash on hand: 168.72
Bank: 10,500.00
Blog: View Blog (27)

Re: EUROPE!!!

Postby Termite » Wed May 20, 2020 9:47 am

I definitely wouldn't like commuting, but I enjoyed riding the Tube while I was there \:D/ #tourist
Of course, there isn't just tourism in London. I could have worded that a lot better, hah. That was all we could do for the few days we were there. I feel like I would need help from a local to get into the heart of the city without just the tourism aspect though, you know? I need more practice in finding my way around foreign cities.

And I went back and edited, because my friend is in LIMERICK not DUBLIN :anxious: (in my defense sleep has been elusive these some weeks lolol)
I loved Limerick. I saw a bit of Dublin, but not a lot. Definitely on the exploration list the next time I get to Ireland. Also, if you can get out to the Ring of Kerry DO IIIT. So gorgeous.

(there's also a pub called The Shire in Killarney, and when I tell you I had the best tea I have ever tasted in my life there...)

I'll be near Douvaine!
Image
Love you always, SnC
"Satan can't take your joy unless he disturbs your sense of right-standing with God." -Roy H Hicks
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
"Stop boring me and think. It's the new sexy." -Sherlock
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance
User avatar
Termite

was eaten by a dinosaur.

 
Posts: 6643
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:34 pm
Location: *running from Tate Realtors*
Age: 25

Cash on hand: 22.46
Bank: 1,958.80
Blog: View Blog (4)

Re: EUROPE!!!

Postby Marvin D. » Wed May 20, 2020 9:53 am

yeah again i don't mind it whilst i'm there, i also don't mind commuting here just cuz it's nowhere as busy or as spread-out (amsterdam is suuuuper compact). for a week i don't mind but if i had to commute 60 minutes one-way every day as my friends do, transferring a few times, i wouldn't like it. but i do get it, it's not just the tourism but if you're just visiting for a few days that's what it'll primarily be ;)

if i do go to dublin i've got a few friends there so i'd be travelling around hopefully \:D/ ive wanted to go for THREE years now but never made it
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
i haz xpirenancee!!1
User avatar
Marvin D.

and now i see daylight, i only see daylight

 
Posts: 19496
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:24 am
Location: Amsterdam
Age: 23
Gender: Female

Cash on hand: 168.72
Bank: 10,500.00
Blog: View Blog (27)

Re: EUROPE!!!

Postby Termite » Wed May 20, 2020 10:01 am

Bless them O.O that is a LOT.

\:D/ there are castles and old churches (like the rest of Europe, I know, BUT STILL) and all cool things. You'll love it when you do make it over.
Image
Love you always, SnC
"Satan can't take your joy unless he disturbs your sense of right-standing with God." -Roy H Hicks
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
"Stop boring me and think. It's the new sexy." -Sherlock
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance
User avatar
Termite

was eaten by a dinosaur.

 
Posts: 6643
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:34 pm
Location: *running from Tate Realtors*
Age: 25

Cash on hand: 22.46
Bank: 1,958.80
Blog: View Blog (4)

Re: EUROPE!!!

Postby Marvin D. » Wed May 20, 2020 10:16 am

the thing is it's just a huuuge city so people live all over the place and then considering how packed it is...i just cant be bothered to have to deal with that every day :anxious:
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
i haz xpirenancee!!1
User avatar
Marvin D.

and now i see daylight, i only see daylight

 
Posts: 19496
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:24 am
Location: Amsterdam
Age: 23
Gender: Female

Cash on hand: 168.72
Bank: 10,500.00
Blog: View Blog (27)

Re: EUROPE!!!

Postby Danadelfos » Wed May 20, 2020 8:31 pm

Termite wrote:
Danadelfos wrote:I didn't really enjoy any of the big cities like London or Paris, however Roma is really interesting, and Praha is really beautiful! I just don't like busy and crowded cities. Most of my hobbies are outdoor/exercise related and not people related so I think that's a big part of it.

:o I enjoyed London. My friend and I popped over there from Limerick, so we were only there a couple days, but I really liked walking around. Of course, we did more of the touristy thing, which is really all there is to do in London, buuut I still enjoyed it.

(it didn't hurt that the van Gogh exhibit was there and I spent two hours wandering around crying I was so happy)

We also spent a day out in the countryside with a mutual friend there; that was absolutely fantastic!

I am planning to be in France for three months at the end of this year working for a pastor there, and so that's exciting \:D/ We'll be in easy reach of Switzerland and Italy. If things are a bit more okay in the world at that point, I'll be going over to serve and hopefully seeing the homeland, as well.


Ah, that's a good point. I did love the National Gallery and the British Museum. I generally love art museums, so I guess I liked the Louvre in Paris as well. :-k I had forgotten about all this. #-o
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Image
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic
User avatar
Danadelfos

Learning. :-)

 
Posts: 6882
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:58 pm
Location: Colorado
Gender: Male

Cash on hand: 832.88
Bank: 54.06

Re: EUROPE!!!

Postby Monty » Fri May 22, 2020 10:30 pm

My favourite place was a small village in Switzerland. But as far as more traditional tourist places go, I really loved Berlin. Was only there two days, but I couldn't get enough.
It's been awhile, hasn't it?
I post like Shadowpaw
User avatar
Monty

 
Posts: 2807
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:00 pm
Location: Right in front of you! Puzzle that one through.

Cash on hand: 1,279.22
Bank: 0.00


Return to Finneman's Market

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests