Summer 2020 Plans

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Bren
Be positive!

Summer 2020 Plans

Post by Bren »

In light of recent events, a lot of my usual summer plans have been cancelled. The youth conference I attended for years was cancelled for the first time in at least 10 years. In recent years I have listened online and taken a staycation. But, with that not happening I cancelled my time off. Today it was announced that our county fair is cancelled as well. With all that said, what are you guys doing to make the most of summer? Personally, I have no idea what I'm gonna do.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

That's too bad about the fair, although I understand (depending on the state) that its either entirely impossible or the rules and guidelines would be more than they could handle and actually have it going. I don't think they've officially decided what is going on here, they technically are allowed to still have a fair, although the State Fair and numerous county ones have already cancelled because of the headaches of staying within regulations.

But yeah we never really do summer vacations, since we don't have school to schedule around, we usually go in spring (which, uh, didn't work out this year) or fall, if we do anything at all, which we don't always do. I just wanted to go to a zoo or something, which technically is possible but I'm not sure how they are managing social distancing, etc, so not sure if it'll be worth the effort of driving to one since none are super duper close.

Otherwise my plans are to like... go to work. \:D/
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

I'm personally very excited about the possibility of doing a road trip around my local area this year. It's been on my to-do list for years, but it's proved impossible to get the time free for that kind of holiday... I also quite like the idea of spending a few days focusing on various creative projects, as that's how I like to spend my time when I'm not busy with school work or friends. Honestly, I'm happiest when I have an excuse not to go to big social events, so this hasn't been such a bad time for me. :p
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Hey Smaug! :D It's great to see you! I totally relate to not being too upset about a lack of big social events. ;) For some things, I sympathize and feel bad for other people that I know enjoy some of the things that can't be done this summer, but I'm not too upset for my own sake.

I don't have any special plans yet for the summer. I spent a lot of time with my two little nieces last summer, and I'm not sure if I will be able to this summer if my sister is worried about the increased COVID risk. One of my nieces has some health issues, so they are being very cautious with their contact with others.

I do plan to read, watch movies, go out for ice cream with friends...that kind of regular stuff.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The Top Crusader wrote:a zoo or something, which technically is pawsible
nice.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
radgeek
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by radgeek »

Our plans were moving to FL. But the financial situation could benefit from me getting hospital experience before we move since I have a career that is essential and will keep going even if there is a second wave of Carona.
I have the best signature ever!

ToO mother of Merlin J. Marvin, iluvsns, ric, TKD, Alyssa, Garrett, ID4J and Monty and the other siblings that I've yet to find. ToO sister of Whitty Whit.

In the market for a Reformers Unanimous Signature Banner

Blitz: You Americans are lost. As missionaries, we generally hate stereotypes.
Jelly: Was this meant to be ironic? ;)
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Catspaw wrote:Hey Smaug! :D It's great to see you!
Hi Catspaw! Nice to see old friends again! :highfive:

Anyone got any big tv show/book binges planned? I've always wanted to watch Hunter x Hunter and feel like this could be my chance!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Smaug the Dragon wrote:
Catspaw wrote:Hey Smaug! :D It's great to see you!
Hi Catspaw! Nice to see old friends again! :highfive:

Anyone got any big tv show/book binges planned? I've always wanted to watch Hunter x Hunter and feel like this could be my chance!
Definitely! \:D/

I guess I was thinking about big plans, so I'm glad that you brought up everyday kind of plans, Smaug! I do have stacks of books to read, and also a stack of new puzzles to set. I started setting puzzles during the pandemic (despite not having set any since I was a kid) and loved it, so I bought a bunch more, only to discover that no longer working from home meant a lot less time and energy for puzzles. Adding in my two commute (round trip) and additional work stresses etc. means that I've barely been setting anything lately. I definitely plan to set more puzzles again over the summer!
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

What is summer even? People who work full time don't have summer. Not truly. :(
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

I would like to go hiking more this summer! \:D/ Hiking/backpacking is starting to really appeal to me. It's very peaceful.
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Parakeet
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Parakeet »

Danadelfos wrote:I would like to go hiking more this summer! \:D/ Hiking/backpacking is starting to really appeal to me. It's very peaceful.
You should totally do it! We just got back from backpacking/hiking two fourteeners and it was hard work but so worth it.
We went to the lake yesterday.. Other than that I have no plans.
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

my biggest plan is to graduate and get my bachelor's :anxious:

after that, start making some money, apply for jobs maybe in london or dublin (but that depends on the whole virus situation), bike around the country a bit, maybe go to the gym ( :mecry: ), and hopefully make it to berlin and maaaaybe to santorini \:D/
Last edited by Marvin D. on Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

We are planning on visiting my family in VA so they can see my new baby. Multiple birthdays to celebrate in my husband's family. Bringing the kids outside to play more.
Nothing too big, really. I'm at the stage where it is just too much work to bring 3 toddlers and a newborn out to do something "fun." It's so much more fun to stay home! \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I hope you have a nice trip, Laura! I'm sure that every outing is quite the production with four little ones! A cute production, though. :D

Home is a good place to be. I've always thought so, and I'm thinking it more than ever the last few months!
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Marvin D. wrote:my biggest plan is to graduate and get my bachelor's :anxious:

after that, start making some money, apply for jobs maybe in london or dublin (but that depends on the whole virus situation), bike around the country a bit, maybe go to the gym (:mecry:), and hopefully make it to berlin and maaaaybe to santorini \:D/
Come to Dublin! We could hang. 8-)
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

i want to go to dublin but the housing shortage and pricing is not attractive :anxious: amsterdam is pricy but dublin is too :(

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I decided to continue a "tradition" and once again have a WodFamChocSod to chase the blues away.

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Nice! That looks so yummy, Bren. :drool:
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Marvin D. wrote:my biggest plan is to graduate and get my bachelor's :anxious:

after that, start making some money, apply for jobs maybe in london or dublin (but that depends on the whole virus situation), bike around the country a bit, maybe go to the gym ( :mecry: ), and hopefully make it to berlin and maaaaybe to santorini \:D/
i did get my bachelor's, but no jobs outside of amsterdam :noway:

and also no traveling so far :mecry:

but I've started going to the gym \:D/

TheDinosaurPlanet
Processing
Post by TheDinosaurPlanet »

Summer plans? Finish Staining the deck. I've finished doing the lamp-posts and a door so all that is left is the deck as of now.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TOO!

Other places are okay
And some are fine
But as far as hometowns go
Well, Odyssey is mine
Oh, it's the place to be
I'm sure you will agree
Have you ever been to Odyssey?