ToO Fantasy Football - Year Nine: Overtime

Get off the sideline & join us for year number nine.

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The new ESPN interface is awful.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Thursday is fine here
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Based on the best consensus possible:

THE DRAFT IS SCHEDULED. Thursday, August 22 at 9PM EST.

It's always fun when as many people can join as possible! If you can't make it live, don't forget you can always edit your pre-draft rankings.

To new players, this means that the opportunity to join for 2019 has closed. Welcome back, everyone! \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I will be on if I'm able, otherwise I'm prepared for autodraft to find a way to fail me yet again.
Seriously, how hard is it to know you shouldn't waste a pick on someone who isn't playing for half the season? >_>
Monty_Whittaker
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Monty_Whittaker »

lol
I got Aaron Rodgers.
Resident JRPG nut
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Well yeah if you pick him #1 picking #1 that's going to happen.
I actually had him the lowest I think I ever have this year though, wouldn't have been my first round pick whatever order we had, so even if I had been picking before you if you had him #1 you would have still got him.

I'm very glad I could finally make it live! It was really fun, and I overrode multiple picks autodraft would have made. I had set up my rankings, but so much depends on the context at the exact moment of the pick based on your draft order. I wouldn't have been happy with how several of the picks would have shaken out if I hadn't been online.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

Uhh so who had andrew luck? It seems he may be about to retire
I am confused
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Wow. Just saw the headlines.

Edit: Lamar Miller probable torn ACL too.
Last edited by Knight Fisher on Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

These kind of season altering developments were what I was trying to mitigate by moving the draft later than we used to do it, apparently it wasn't quite enough. Make a note for next season: think about drafting right after Preseason Week 3 concludes.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

I mean how season altering are these really? Because luck was probably out for a decent part of the season anyway, and miller is a very middle of the road running back these days. Like yeah them not playing this season might cause some minor issues but I dont think it's the worst people who could have not played this year. Idk maybe i would feel differently if i had drafted one, but those are my feeling not having them.
I am confused
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

hahaha.

Anyone need a proven, successful, high-upside quarterback from Indianapolis? Andrew Luck is no longer part of the American Eagles. :lol:

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

E II wrote:I mean how season altering are these really?
Extremely? Neither will play in a single game this year, that's as season altering as it gets. I'm not implying it's going to make or break someone's overall fantasy performance necessarily, but it definitely alters the season by permanently changing the roster before a single game is played. It's a completely wasted draft pick, something no one wants to experience so we should attempt to avoid if reasonably possible which it is by simply waiting a couple more days.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

One could also argue that even if we wait later, there is still the possibility of injury. Injury is unfortunately a part of the nfl, and they can happen pretty much any time. It just so happens that 2 major injuries took place at this point this year. It does waste a draft pick, yes, but what if someone get injured week one? That would also waste a draft pick? I'm not opposed to drafting later I'm just saying injury can and will happen any time before the season, so unless we draft like right before the season starts, this will always be an issue
I am confused
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Of course injuries will happen during the season, but those don't waste a pick because the player has at least suited up, even if just for a short time. There's a huge difference between those, which are part of what this game is about, and these kind of injuries where we can draft after they occur because real games haven't started yet.

Starters don't play in Preseason Week 4 so if we wait until right after Week 3 draft strategies can be based on players' definite availability which is how it's supposed to be. If something sudden comes up after that or a player has a lingering issue that's fair play, but we remove the entirely avoidable situation of a team experiencing 'hey, that guy you used an important pick on and had a plan for in your lineup because there was absolutely no indication he wouldn't be playing, he's suddenly out before we even get going' which I know has happened to at least one of us in at least three of our seasons, including the last two in a row, and I suspect even more times than that which I just don't recall offhand.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Staleys vs Cheeseheads seems a fitting pairing alongeside Bears vs Packers.

Laura's roster is looking scary.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

With my gut getting echoes of the Bell fiasco last year I intentionally passed on Elliott; looks like the right move. Even if he ends up signing something some time I don't want to deal with that drama.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

Zeke's back! Melvin Gordon appears to be holding out for the year though
I am confused
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Cross-promotion time:

Please consider entering the Football Pool; you guys are following the games every week for this, you may as well play that too! :)

Also if anyone can be on for some of the Sunday Night live game chats that would be awesome! The times in the past we've had fantasy owners come were really fun because we got to react to how their players were doing as well as the actual game going on! \:D/
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Aaaaand Antonio Brown has been cut from the Raiders. Sorry, GIA99. :anxious:
Last edited by American Eagle on Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I also intentionally stayed away from that situation; trusting my instinct pays off again.