Suggestion Box/Public Opinion Poll: Hillingdale Haven

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!

Should We Rename Hillingdale Haven?

Poll ended at Sun May 10, 2020 9:04 pm

Yes!
85%
No!
15%

Total votes: 27

EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Suggestion Box/Public Opinion Poll: Hillingdale Haven

Post by EK »

Hey guys! Your new interim mayor here! Some people may know me, some people may not, but HERE I AM deal with it! :x

I hope all of you are doing well during these UNCERTAIN TIMES!

As some of you may know May is Mental Health Awareness Month! During a time where a lot of us are apt to have bouts with anxiety or depression during this pandemic, the discussion about mental health becomes an even more important and ubiquitous thought. I sincerely hope that all of us are taking steps to stay physically and mentally healthy during this whole thing, if anyone you know is going through bouts of depression or anxiety, remember to give your friends a call!

So this all brings me to my next point, it was pointed out by Knight Fisher that naming a forum of ours after a mental institution as a place to have fun and act "zany" with no repercussions, particularly having a "padded room", is a cause to pause, especially in a time where we give more credence or validity in concern to mental health issues. The ToO has always been regarded as a place where we can all go to talk about whatever is on our minds and trivializing something many of our members have experienced just isn't cool. Adventures in Odyssey itself treats Hillingdale Haven as a very somber and serious place, I remember "Welcome Home" being one of the first AIO albums I owned, and the episode "The Other Woman" being a very emotional episode that takes mental health seriously. I for one think we should honor our namesake and take the issue as seriously as FotF did back in 1996.

So, in true ToO democratic fashion, I've decided to leave it up to a community vote, as well as use this thread for suggestions as to what we could rename it.

Danadelfos has suggested The Electric Palace which I like! As someone in the chat pointed out, its apropos as the Electric Palace was full of junk. ;) I also thought Campbell County might be a good one (though I do like Electric Palace a bit more), both are inadvertently tributes to now defunct spin off boards of the ToO created by Bren, so that's cool, I know we have some members here from those forums.

Anyway, let's put this to a vote and if it passes, we'll decide what the next course of action is from there! \:D/ I'll leave the poll up for 5 days!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

For some reason these thoughts have never occurred to me, to the best of my admittedly poor memory, and now I'm wondering why not. You're right that the name comes across poorly, now that I actually think about it. I like The Electric Palace as an alternative more than Campbell County just because it does give off a bit more of a goofy vibe.
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

The Electric Palace is better since the Town of Odyssey is technically within Campbell County and it should be a place within the Town of Odyssey.
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

The Electric Palace is so iconic to Odyssey, it would be great to have a forum dedicated to it!

I also never thought anything of it.. But in a way, it carries a rather dark sense of humor, which is why I am for changing the name. *nods*
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

It had never crossed my mind either until today. I am not the least bit surprised that these are the kind of thoughtful responses there have been once it was brought up.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Parakeet
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Parakeet »

I was actually thinking about this the other day... I think we should change it. I vote Electric Palace as well.
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I could see making the two forums The Electric Palace and something like The Back Room fitting with both the forum content and the board theme.

Campbell County doesn't make sense, that's a general area not a location in town.
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

It's a brilliant suggestion and it's hard to believe nobody ever thought of this before (either the problem or the proposed new name).
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

As much as I like things to not change, I have to say, that is a very good reason to change it.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Eugene
Official Brainiac
Official Brainiac

Post by Eugene »

Can we rename The Padded Room to "Bart's Pork Rind Closet"?? :-k :-

"Don't fuss with me." WHY;
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Bahaha, Eugene. xD That's a good one.

Here's a list of the possible names for The Padded Room (so far).

• The Back Room
  • The Clearance Section
  • Bart's Pork Rind Closet
[/b][/size]
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

i'm down for bart's pork rind closet \:D/
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

It's weird and embarrassing that my first instinct was "woah wait, it's just a name, why be so sensitive?"

This must be what early-onset boomer syndrome looks like. :(

In other news I love the fresh energy here and I love the Electric Palace for a name. \:D/
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

jelly wrote:It's weird and embarrassing that my first instinct was "woah wait, it's just a name, why be so sensitive?"

In other news I love the fresh energy here and I love the Electric Palace for a name. \:D/
tbh i felt a little bit like this, but also because i don't remember so much about Hillingdale haven anymore :p

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Marvin, imagine if HH was just deleted, how much would your post count take a hit? ;)
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

jelly wrote:It's weird and embarrassing that my first instinct was "woah wait, it's just a name, why be so sensitive?"

It's only insensitive if you let yourself be sensitive to it. Like, I would be perfectly fine with it staying, but I also agree with the concerns being brought up. *nods* And I also think it would make for a fun change. \:D/
KnittingFun14
Processing
Post by KnittingFun14 »

I love the ideas "Bart's Pork Rind Closet" and "The Electric Palace". Awesome ideas! \:D/
I normally go by N on the chat, but it's actually short for...
"No, John, I can't marry you. Why? Because my father won't let me. He says you're not good enough for me, John.
Yes you have big muscles and know how to run a farm, but I need a man that can give me the moon.
You are not the sun. I am." -Pengwin
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

jelly wrote:Marvin, imagine if HH was just deleted, how much would your post count take a hit? ;)
ok no need for a personal attack jelly :(

i already lost quite a few posts during the deletion a few years ago, back in 2010 i lived in HH \:D/

shnoodlec
Tallying up

Post by shnoodlec »

I've had this thought before but never knew who to talk to about it :O Everyone has been so thoughtful :) I think it's a great idea
High wellborn Lady shnoodlec Knight of the Order of Augustine, formally known as Queen of the Monkeys. now enjoying an era of peace between the Monkeys and Vampires. permanent n00b. Q&A thread HERE. come find me on the ToO chat if you dare.
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

85% is a fair majority..

I look forward to seeing this reform!