What do you wear to church?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.

What do you think?

It's the House of God! We must always look our best.
41%
I think we should look decent when going to church.
35%
We're just getting together with other Christians. There's no need to impress God.
6%
I have an alternative opinion!
12%
It. Doesn't. Matter. Dude.
6%

Total votes: 17

American Eagle
Chief of Police
What do you wear to church?

Post by American Eagle »

This is what I typically wear to church:
Sunday morning: Dress pants, dress shirt with sleeves rolled up, tie if I'm working in Jr. Church, and occasionally a sweater or suit.
Sunday night (youth group): Jeans and a t-shirt or polo.
Wednesday night: a polo/dress shirt with jeans or dress pants.

What about the rest of you? Do you always go in fancy clothes, or do you dress in your everyday apparel? Why?
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Basically the same as AE except the sleeves part. And the tie part. And the suit part. Not there on Sunday Night. And casual on Wednesday. (Youth group.)
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I wear jeans... all the time. :P On Sunday morning I wear nicer shirts, but on Wednesday night I'll wear whatever shirt I like.

As to why: I'm always in the presence of God, day in day out. Why make it ceremonious? I mean, some people in my church dress fancy (heck, I can even go styling myself if I'm in the mood and look really girly) but when I dress like that I'm usually less comfortable. Worshiping God isn't supposed to be this once a week special thing but a daily recurrence. But I don't like wearing t-shirts Sunday morning because I do want to look "nicer" for being in the house. If you get my point. :-k
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Termite wrote:As to why: I'm always in the presence of God, day in day out. Why make it ceremonious? I mean, some people in my church dress fancy (heck, I can even go styling myself if I'm in the mood and look really girly) but when I dress like that I'm usually less comfortable. Worshiping God isn't supposed to be this once a week special thing but a daily recurrence. But I don't like wearing t-shirts Sunday morning because I do want to look "nicer" for being in the house. If you get my point. :-k
Yeah this, except the girly part. ;)
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Knight Fisher wrote:Basically the same as AE except the sleevs part. And the tie part. And the suit part. Not there on Sunday Night. And casual on Wednesday. (Youth group.)
Basically the same as KF except I don't have youth group on Wednesday, but if I did I'd dress casual.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I wear a dress and heels on Sundays unless I'm singing with my choir or ensemble in the service, and on Wednesdays I just wear the typical t-shirt, jeans, and Converse. Only reason I never wear Nike shorts or something in the summer is because my parents refuse. :p
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

On Sundays I wear black jeans or corduroys or slacks with a polo shirt. Once in a while I'll wear a sweater or a long-sleeve button-down shirt. I don't wear my blue jeans though, and I probably wouldn't wear a plain old t-shirt, because I think you should look somewhat nice, even if just to satisfy the taboos. ;)

And on Wednesdays I just wear casual clothes because I meet with a small group. If I went to a service though I'd probably wear the same thing I wear on Sundays.
Mimi
Animatronic

Post by Mimi »

On Sundays I wear a dressy skirt and blouse with heels.
On Wednesdays I usually wear a beige, dark denim, black or grey skirt, a polo or nice t-shirt, and boots. Sometimes I wear a zip-up hoodie on Wednesdays, but I put it on after the service unless I'm just working in the nursery.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Knight Fisher wrote:Basically the same as AE except the sleeves part. And the tie part. And the suit part. Not there on Sunday Night. And casual on Wednesday. (Youth group.)
I was going to say like AE too...but then I realized that might not work. xD

I don't know, not super fancy, but more dressed up than every day clothes. A nice jean skirt and blouse, or a plain dress. I may wear jeans if working in the nursery, it's hard to chase 5 kids in a long skirt.

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

The Kings Daughter wrote:
Knight Fisher wrote:Basically the same as AE except the sleeves part. And the tie part. And the suit part. Not there on Sunday Night. And casual on Wednesday. (Youth group.)
I was going to say like AE too...but then I realized that might not work. xD

I don't know, not super fancy, but more dressed up than every day clothes. A nice jean skirt and blouse, or a plain dress. I may wear jeans if working in the nursery, it's hard to chase 5 kids in a long skirt.
Basically like TKD :P

Kind of casual, because we attend a home church on Sunday evenings, and dressy isn't really an option. If we go to a traditional church service in the morning, which we do on occasion, then I would wear a dressier skirt and boots probably.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Termite wrote:I wear jeans... all the time. :P On Sunday morning I wear nicer shirts, but on Wednesday night I'll wear whatever shirt I like.

As to why: I'm always in the presence of God, day in day out. Why make it ceremonious? I mean, some people in my church dress fancy (heck, I can even go styling myself if I'm in the mood and look really girly) but when I dress like that I'm usually less comfortable. Worshiping God isn't supposed to be this once a week special thing but a daily recurrence. But I don't like wearing t-shirts Sunday morning because I do want to look "nicer" for being in the house. If you get my point. :-k
Pretty much yup.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

I wear nice pants and a nice shirt on Sunday mornings. And if I go during the week I dress casual.
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Clothes.

...but more specifically, I USED to wear like jeans and a decent shirt on Sunday morning, but for the past few years I usually wear basically "work clothes"... dress/cargo pants and still a decent shirt... button shirt or a sweater or something. Jeans with the continuing trend of a decent shirt on Sunday night or Wednesday. There tends to be a lot of variety at my current church, some people in really nice suits, and others in jeans and whatever, so I'm somewhere in the middle. I only own a couple ties and they don't really match any of my shirts very well. And I do have a suit but the pants are too big so I feel stupid wearing it. >_>

Now back in the old days in youth group I'd wear basically whatever. I mean, I don't really have an immodest or indecent wardrobe. ;) Jeans and random t-shirt was fine. Come to think of it, I don't even remember what kind of t-shirts I would've worn back then. The Nintendo and Marvel comics t-shirt boom didn't happen until I was out of high school. :(
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

I'm rather known at church for always wearing shorts and a T-shirt. (even in the middle of winter) Since dress is a cultural aspect of church-going and not a spiritual one, I don't understand why church hasn't followed the overall... 'casualization' of attire that's been going on over the last 50 years or so. I mean, in the 1950's, people wore suits to go to the movies, now people meet the president in flip flops. What makes church so different? You can wear whatever you want - I don't care - but, to me, it seems self centered, if anything.
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

King Butter Turtle wrote:I'm rather known at church for always wearing shorts and a T-shirt. (even in the middle of winter) Since dress is a cultural aspect of church-going and not a spiritual one, I don't understand why church hasn't followed the overall... 'casualization' of attire that's been going on over the last 50 years or so. I mean, in the 1950's, people wore suits to go to the movies, now people meet the president in flip flops. What makes church so different? You can wear whatever you want - I don't care - but, to me, it seems self centered, if anything.
Just because some people would wear flip flops to see the president, does that mean everyone should do it? ;) Sure it isn't necessary to be all dressed up, but when you meet with an important person, you try to look your best! And I think God's a bit more than just an important person, by wearing nicer closer it's like honoring Him with our dress.

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

So do you dress up while doing your private devotionals?
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Mimi wrote:On Sundays I wear a dressy skirt and blouse with heels.
On Wednesdays I usually wear a beige, dark denim, black or grey skirt, a polo or nice t-shirt, and boots. Sometimes I wear a zip-up hoodie on Wednesdays, but I put it on after the service unless I'm just working in the nursery.
That sounds pretty much how I dress, except I don't wear T-shirts. ;) (please, no one ask why... I don't want this to be an argument.)

\:D/
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Lee wrote:
Mimi wrote:On Sundays I wear a dressy skirt and blouse with heels.
That sounds pretty much how I dress, except I don't wear T-shirts. ;) (please, no one ask why... I don't want this to be an argument.)
Oh noes!! SOMEONEs cants weres tshirtsss! Wese all guna dieee.!1

Eh. It's not that big a deal, Lee. ;)

I wear black slacks, and a shirt-tie with a sweater like thingy. It's like the least formal I can get without people complaining. I don't really interact well when I'm in a suit. I mean... bah, nevermind.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Honey Wheeler
OK

Post by Honey Wheeler »

Today I wore black tights and skirt, a grey dressy shirt, a black jacket and black boots.

Soo.. Usually, I am kinda dressy. The closest I have gotten to jeans and a tee-shirt is beige dress pants and a collard polo.

I love words. I love to sing them and speak them and even now, I must admit, I have fallen into the joy of writing them.
~Anne Rice
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

I usually wear a punk-ish looking button down shirt and jeans, though today, I wore a polo shirt.
he/him | a little stinker.