Non-Denomonational Q&A

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Well, people don't go around healing the blind and lame exactly by just laying on hands, (although that does happen I'm sure), but "medical miracles" such as the ones JP mentioned are still miracles brought about by the prayers and faith of believers, but perhaps more...indirectly?
John Chrysostom
No way I broke the window

Post by John Chrysostom »

James 5:14-15 "Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven."

What would you say about that verse?
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Ayn Rand wrote:James 5:14-15 "Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven."

not sure if that was directed at both of us, or just Pip :anxious: I completely agree with and believe in that verse. I've witnessed it twice with my sister, and many more times just at church and stuff.
John Chrysostom

It was more directed at Pip :P I was trying to clarify his position on the laying on of hands healing people through direct means.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

What is your church's view on modesty?
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Ayn Rand wrote:James 5:14-15 "Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven."

I would say that's what happens. That's not really saying somebody brings a lame person in and some pastor lays his hands on him and says "get up and walk." It says "the prayer of faith will save the sick."
John Chrysostom

For Pip and Jesus' Princess: What are your churches views on the Nicene Creed?

Infant or Believers baptism?
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I believe in the Nicine creed. It's not much different from the Apostle's creed, which is what we use mostly, I would say.

Believers.
John Chrysostom

Pip: How often does your church take communion? And what are your views on it, i.e. only a symbol, something more?

Also does your church have any ties with other churches? Conferences you go to or mutual accountability etc.?
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Sorry I haven't answered this, I just saw it.
Anna><> wrote:What is your church's view on modesty?
My church doesn't really have a set standard of modesty, we believe that you should be modestly covered, but it's up to the individual family to set their own standards. Out of curiosity, are there some churches that do have a set standard for their members?
Ayn Rand wrote:For Pip and Jesus' Princess: What are your churches views on the Nicene Creed?
To be honest, I'd never heard of the Nicene Creed until you started mentioning it in some of these threads, but I read it and I mostly agree with it, the part about One Holy Catholic Church I'm not sure I agree with though.
Ayn Rand wrote:Infant or Believers baptism?
Believers baptism.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Ayn Rand wrote:Pip: How often does your church take communion? And what are your views on it, i.e. only a symbol, something more?

Also does your church have any ties with other churches? Conferences you go to or mutual accountability etc.?
Once a month. I believe it is a symbol, but a very important one. It is not essential to salvation, though, per se.

I don't believe so. We do have ties with the Evangelical Presbyterian church, as a said before.
John Chrysostom

Jesus' Princess: What do you disagree with in the term "One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church"?

To both: Would you disagree very much with those who practice infant baptism or is it a matter of you've just chosen not to do it that way?
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Ayn Rand wrote:Jesus' Princess: What do you disagree with in the term "One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church"?
because I don't believe that the catholic church is the one holy church.
Ayn Rand wrote:
To both: Would you disagree very much with those who practice infant baptism or is it a matter of you've just chosen not to do it that way?
Well it depends on what that person would be trying to do with the baptism. I believe that when you accept Christ and are baptized as a symbol of that. I don't really understand why people baptize infants, I guess I wouldn't really have a problem with it unless they tried to say that the chiles was saved because of it.
John Chrysostom

Do you believe there is One Holy Church?
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Ayn Rand wrote:Do you believe there is One Holy Church?
No, I believe that anyone who has accepted Christ as their savior is part of the church.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Ayn Rand wrote:Jesus' Princess: What do you disagree with in the term "One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church"?

We actually do it at our church, but it's not essential. I prefer believer's baptism, because then you are aware of what you're doing, and it's a choice, not just something your parents did for you when you were a baby.
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

Sorry to interject but um in the Nicene Creed the Catholic shouldn't be capitalized. Catholic has to meanings if it is capitalized it means Catholic as in the Catholic branch of Christianity. But if it is lowercase then it mean universal. I just had to say that so everyone knows.
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
John Chrysostom

And I just have to interject to say that isn't true, the Creed was written centuries before the Roman Catholics became a separate branch of Christianity. The word Catholic used in the Creed does not mean Roman Catholic nor does it mean universal, the actual Greek word used in the original Creed means fullness of. The making the Catholic a lowercase c to mean universal is a very recent change as it was originally written One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church and thus should be capitalized.