[Split From Thread In Harlequin] Song of Solomon, etc.

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

We're in The Harliquen. :-s
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

This conversation was getting weird, so I moved it. :-s Have fun, I suppose.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Hasn't this thread been split twice already. .?
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Okay, now everyone start arguing about whether God created the world or not. \:D/
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

EVOLUTION IS STUFFED DOWN PEOPLE'S THROATS! :x
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Pip wrote:The term 'erotica,' in most cases has the implication of arousing sexual desire. It even says so in the dictionary. It meant that 70 years ago. I get what you're saying, and I agree with it, but just don't use the term 'erotica,' because anyone, even a scholar, who hears that is probably not going to think "beautiful sexual expression."
Well, this isn't all that fair, but coincidentally I happen to be writing a research paper on SoS for one of my current courses. :P The term 'erotica' is actually heavily used by scholars who take a literal contextual view of the book. Whether you like you implications behind that particular phrasing or not, it is considered to accurately describe the literature style of SoS. There's nothing wrong with the word 'erotica' or the meaning behind it... you're just repelled by the negative implications that fill your mind due to our culture's mindset concerning sexual expression.
Amethystic wrote:This conversation was getting weird, so I moved it. :-s Have fun, I suppose.
HOW DARE WE TALK ABOUT SEX IN A BIBLICAL CONTEXT. SIN.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Pip wrote:Okay, now everyone start arguing about whether God created the world or not. \:D/

I actually started laughing out loud when I got to this post.

\:D/
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Jelly wrote:
Pip wrote:The term 'erotica,' in most cases has the implication of arousing sexual desire. It even says so in the dictionary. It meant that 70 years ago. I get what you're saying, and I agree with it, but just don't use the term 'erotica,' because anyone, even a scholar, who hears that is probably not going to think "beautiful sexual expression."
Well, this isn't all that fair, but coincidentally I happen to be writing a research paper on SoS for one of my current courses. :P The term 'erotica' is actually heavily used by scholars who take a literal contextual view of the book. Whether you like you implications behind that particular phrasing or not, it is considered to accurately describe the literature style of SoS. There's nothing wrong with the word 'erotica' or the meaning behind it... you're just repelled by the negative implications that fill your mind due to our culture's mindset concerning sexual expression.
It has nothing to do with the culture's mindset. It has to do with my personal opinion. Please, I'm tired of you always going back to "the culture" and it's mindset and how I can't think for myself. Give me some credit, okay? It has to do with my personal opinion. "Erotic" means arousing sexual desire. Obviously, "erotica" has the base word "erotic." Anyone who knows what "erotic" means is going to think "erotica" is something that arouses sexual desire. We agree that that art or literature that arouses sexual desire is not godly, correct? Okay then. It's all symantecs. Merriam-Webster says that erotica is literature or art that has an erotic element, but whatever.

I hope the scholars are not using the term to mean "arousing sexual desire," because SoS does not, and is not meant, to do that.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Jelly wrote:Sex in the Bible is great, though. \:D/ It's the perfect context for getting introduced to it.
Especially at the RIGHT time the parents see for the kid. \:D/

And after reading this thread, I still don't get it. WHAT, are we debating, praytell? Whether or not the Bible talks about, eh, marriage?

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Whether SoS should be labeled erotica or not.
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Song of Soloman is a book of the Bible expressing pure marital love as ordained by Christ. Why is that inappropriate?
*insert provocative quote here*
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Katniss wrote:Song of Soloman is a book of the Bible expressing pure marital love as ordained by Christ. Why is that inappropriate?
Yep, and it's not intended to arouse sexual desire in the reader. No one is saying it's inapproprate. ;)
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

I was all fired up for a debate :p Great job, ric.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Katniss wrote:I was all fired up for a debate :p
You can still have one, just change your focus. ;) There’s still a disagreement going on here.
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Oh, goodie! \:D/

Can someone summarize the conflict? ;)
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Pip wrote:Please, I'm tired of you always going back to "the culture" and it's mindset and how I can't think for myself. Give me some credit, okay?
I wasn't attempting to insult you directly, but I refer to the 'cultural mindset' because it's entirely relevant to this conversation. I'm sorry if it came across as a personal attack; it wasn't intended to be one. Heck, I'm victim of the cultural mindset just as much as the next person. Which is why I enjoy it when I discover things that the church has, in the past, regarded as taboo because of cultural opposition are actually beautiful in God's eyes. You seem vehemently opposed to viewing SoS as any kind of source of sexual arousal... but why? I would argue that it IS in fact the intention of SoS's erotic phrasing to excite the reader sexually. The anatomy of the human form is described in intimate detail. Sexual intercourse is not merely referred to, it is foundational to the story arc, elaborated with flourish. The writer grasps at every bit of analogical phrasing in order to portray explicit sexual expression to the fullest. Why else would this have been written?
Pip wrote:Yep, and it's not intended to arouse sexual desire in the reader.
See, this is where I feel like you're resisting based on a counter-cultural mindset, instead of God's mindset. What's wrong with sexual desire? God intended for us to be fully capable of sexual desire from an early age, and it seems clear to me that SoS was written with the obvious intention of complimenting this God-ordained desire. What you're opposed to is the 'cultural mindset' that has objectified sex and confused God's desire for sexual intimacy with sexual immorality. I believe, especially since SoS is found directly in the Biblical cannon, that all its descriptions of intimacy and sex are entirely pure, and I also believe that the sexual desire God gifted us with is intended to be entirely pure. I'm then led to the conclusion that the two must compliment each other in the purest form.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Wait, so are you arguing whether or not the world should study SoS? Sorry, still confused.

Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

The second part of Jelly's post was amazing :inlove: That was well said.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Katniss wrote:The second part of Jelly's post was amazing :inlove: That was well said.
Oh, yeah, it was good. O:) Our church actually had a service or two discussion this topic and what you said, Jelly. Most awkward church day ever. :-

TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I'd imagine so, TKD. ;) We were discussing whether the Bible was graphic or not, and I think I mentioned Song of Solomon at some point as being sexually graphic, and Pip started talking about...something to do with erotica. It all snowballed from there.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog