What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Homeward My Heart, very good. I'm going to miss that series. Up next for me is Every Drop of Blood by Edward Achorn. It's about Abraham Lincoln's second inauguration.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

I finished Mockingjay. My new book comes in on Tuesday so I decided to see if I could read Howl's Moving Castle before it arrives.
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jonathan wrote:Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxas. It's a haul, but very good.
I've owned that tome for a few years and haven't read it yet. It is a big book! I do want to read it, but keep thinking I don't have time to read such a long book. I should just start and read a bit every day.

I'm just starting "In the Shadow of Croft Towers" by Abigail Wilson. This is my first time reading anything by this author, so I hope it's good.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Catspaw wrote:
I've owned that tome for a few years and haven't read it yet. It is a big book! I do want to read it, but keep thinking I don't have time to read such a long book. I should just start and read a bit every day.
Highly, highly recommended. I have a inclination towards WW2 history, and for anyone with that same interest it should be considered required reading.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jonathan wrote:
Catspaw wrote:
Highly, highly recommended. I have a inclination towards WW2 history, and for anyone with that same interest it should be considered required reading.
You've convinced me. I will move it up on my mental reading list!

Today I read "Hurricane Boy" by Laura Roach Dragon. It's juvenile fiction and takes place during Hurricane Katrina. I found it very engaging and moving. I would definitely recommend it.
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

I put Howl's Moving Castle on hold because The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes was delivered Monday night so I'm currently reading that.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Pengwin wrote:I put Howl's Moving Castle on hold because The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes was delivered Monday night so I'm currently reading that.
I didn't know HMC was a book, I thought it was an anime. Fun music though, I performed it a year or two ago.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

The Howl series is fantastic especially the later books. It has an almost completely different plot from the movie.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Every Drop of Blood, excellent book. Learned a few things I did not know. Up next for me is Streams of Mercy by Lauraine Snelling. This is the third book in her Song of Blessing series.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

I finished The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. I really like it. :yes: Now onto finish Howl's Moving Castle.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm currently reading "Is God a Moral Monster? Making Sense of the Old Testament God" by Paul Copan. It's very interesting. He takes a number of difficult passages and discusses historical and religious context for some passages, as well about case law (sometimes an imperfect solution was being stated for a troubling situation - not a perfect law for all times). It's definitely provided some food for thought.
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

Hehehe... Hehe... Heh...... Still working on Pilgrim's Progress. I got distracted. HAVE TO GET BACK ON THE PATH. D:
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

I'm currently reading Young Whit and the Thieves of Barrymore. It's better than book 2. I'm not wanting it to end, partially because the next book won't be out until next year.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Finished Bonhoeffer, now reading a little known book called I Trust When Dark My Road by Todd Peperkorn on the Lutheran view of depression.
Catspaw wrote:I'm currently reading "Is God a Moral Monster? Making Sense of the Old Testament God" by Paul Copan.
Report back on this one. I've heard of it but don't know anything else about it.
Kaidapaw wrote:Hehehe... Hehe... Heh...... Still working on Pilgrim's Progress. I got distracted. HAVE TO GET BACK ON THE PATH. D:
Are you reading the old version or a more recent easier to read one?
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Streams of Mercy, wonderful book. Up next for me is Finding Lady Enderly by Joanna Davidson Politano.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Finished Dark Road, now it's London Bridges by James Patterson. I don't think I'd recommend the book. Or the author.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Finished Run, Baby, Run by Nicky Cruz. It's his autobiography. Really pulled me into his life, I appreciated how raw and open he was about himself. Back to The Soul of Shame by Curt Thompson.
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Finding Lady Enderly, excellent book. Up next for me is Washington's Spies: The Story of America's First Spy Ring by Alexander Rose.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jonathan wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I'm currently reading "Is God a Moral Monster? Making Sense of the Old Testament God" by Paul Copan.
Report back on this one. I've heard of it but don't know anything else about it.
I would recommend it. I think you would find it worth the read. The author offers thought-provoking commentary and I appreciated his balanced approach, where he shows some of the language and situations within their historical context to add perspective, but never uses those things to say that makes everything as the ideal for any time. I was still left with things to grapple over in my mind....and that's good, because if it all seems too easy, it probably isn't actually realistic or worthwhile.

I'm starting "Flights of Fancy" by Jen Turano. When she writes a trilogy, the books all seem to be quite connected, so I usually wait until all three books are out until I read them. The third one just released recently, so now I'm starting her American Heiresses series.
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

Jonathan wrote:
Kaidapaw wrote:Hehehe... Hehe... Heh...... Still working on Pilgrim's Progress. I got distracted. HAVE TO GET BACK ON THE PATH. D:
Are you reading the old version or a more recent easier to read one?
Errrrmm. I think this one was formatted in a way that's supposed to be easier to read but the language is still pretty old. I don't know how much more easier they have made recent ones nor how hard is an old version so can't compare.
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty