What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

I'm really enjoying "Till We Have Faces" by C.S. Lewis. I think it was the last book he wrote, and it's a retelling of the greek myth of Cupid and Psyche. It's been too long since I've read some fiction.
Last edited by Danadelfos on Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Troubled Waters, excellent book. Up next for me is The Secrets of Paper and Ink by Lindsay Harrel.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Parakeet
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Parakeet »

I am rereading the Circle series by Ted Dekker. Very good series and especially interesting right now as it involves a worldwide virus. I like how the author references the Bible as well.
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

Reading and sometimes listening to Pilgrim's Progress
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Secrets of Paper and Ink, wonderful story. Up next for me is Manhunt by James L. Swanson. It tells the story of Lincoln's assassination and the 12 day hunt for John Wilkes Booth. I had read it when it first came out and decided to re read it. I started it on Wednesday.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That sounds very interesting, Laurie! I don't know if I'm quite interested enough to actually read the book, but I can see how that would be a great read.

I'm reading "Hold on to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More Than Peers" by Dr. Gordon Neufeld and Dr. Gabor Mate. Very interesting and informative. (And no, I don't have children of my own, but I do have nieces and other kids I interact with regularly!)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

It is a very good book. I had seen a mention of it on Twitter and decided to re read it. Please don't feel obligated to read it if it does not interest you. I'm interested in Lincoln and have been since the age of nine, I don't expect any one to read the books about him I mention here if you aren't interested in him. I won't be offended if people don't read it. I get that not everyone shares my interest.
I finished The Forgiving Jar, wonderful story. Up next for me is Silent Shadows by Natalie Walters. It is the third and final book in her Harbored Secrets trilogy. 
Last edited by Laurie on Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

One of the things that I like about this thread is hearing about new books I haven't read, including books I would never have heard of otherwise. Whether I read any of them or not, just reading about other people's reading preferences is fun!

I just finished "Being Known" by Robin Jones Gunn. Amazing! So good! I love all her books and devoured this book tonight in a single sitting. I gave my sister a copy (it just came out last week) and she was bugging me to read it because she read it a couple of days ago and wanted to talk about it. Highly recommended. :yes:
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Currently reading Rush: Benjamin Rush Revolutionary, Madness & the Doctor Who Became a Founding Father by Stephen Fried. Dr. Rush was a signer of the Declaration of Independence. I had bought this book back in September and had gotten distracted by other books. Mount Vernon live streamed a chat with the author and one day I just started reading it. Very good so far. Plus, George Washington is in the book too. A person can't ever pass that up! With having to shelter in place I'm reading more history and biography.
Last edited by Laurie on Tue May 05, 2020 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
radgeek
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by radgeek »

I'm reading <i>The Crystal Shard</i> by R.A. Salvatore. It is a classic in the fantacy genre.
I have the best signature ever!

ToO mother of Merlin J. Marvin, iluvsns, ric, TKD, Alyssa, Garrett, ID4J and Monty and the other siblings that I've yet to find. ToO sister of Whitty Whit.

In the market for a Reformers Unanimous Signature Banner

Blitz: You Americans are lost. As missionaries, we generally hate stereotypes.
Jelly: Was this meant to be ironic? ;)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished the Dr. Rush biography, very good. Up next for me is The Best We've Ever Been by Beth K. Vogt. This is the third book in her Thatcher Sisters trilogy.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I haven't read that book by Beth K. Vogt yet, Laurie, but I've really enjoyed her other books!

I'm just starting "The House at the End of the Moor" by Michelle Griep. I have loved everything she's written so far, so I'm really looking forward to it. :D
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Best We've Ever Been. Wonderful book and series. Up next for me is The Healing Jar by Wanda E. Brunstetter. This is the third and final book in her The Prayer Jars trilogy. 
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I just ordered my copy of "The Best We've Ever Been," so it will be my turn to enjoy it soon! :D

I'm starting "Heartless" by Tamara Leigh. It's the fourth and newest book in her Age of Conquest series. I checked my mail on Friday and was quite excited to see this book waiting for me. \:D/
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I hope you enjoy it Catspaw. I am currently reading Homeward My Heart by Judith Pella. This is the fourth and final book in her Daughters of Fortune series. This series was published in the early 2000s but can still be found online.
Last edited by Laurie on Tue May 19, 2020 6:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

I just started "The Soul of Shame" by Curt Thompson M.D. Only one chapter in but really enjoying it. Very therapeutic for my soul.
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

I've been reading Catching Fire for awhile now. I'm almost done with it though!
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
Mountain_Girl
Classic

Post by Mountain_Girl »

I have been reading a ton of stuff lately. I was in Survey of American Literature Part 1 this semester. That consisted of works from authors from the beginning of America to the 1860's.

ImageImageImageImage
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

I finished Catching Fire and now I'm onto Mockingjay. \:D/ Suzanne Collins, the author of the Hunger Games series, has written a new book that's a sort of prequel to the Hunger Games series! It's called The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. I ordered it on Amazon and it's coming next week! I'm hoping to finish Mockingjay before the new book arrives.
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxas. It's a haul, but very good.