683: The Green Ring Conspiracy, Part 5

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What did you think of the episode?

5 stars: Gotta have it!
45%
4 stars: Love it!
36%
3 stars: Like it
18%
2 stars: Didn't like it
No votes
1 star: Really didn't like it
No votes

Total votes: 11

Bren
Be positive!

683: The Green Ring Conspiracy, Part 5

Post by Bren »

What is going on? Lets find out.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

This is crazy. My brother's mp3 player was on shuffle tonight, and this episode began playing. I had no idea it was this week's episode.

(a) The opening music is the best of the whole album. Brilliant!
(b) Jay continued his awesomeness.
(c) The girl at the printing place was fun. Her rejection of Polehaus was great! I think the Detective is a great character (similar to Agent Bourland).

Not much else comes to mind. Another good episode!
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

I absolutely LOVED that line about faking the heart attack with Polehaus, thought when I heard it, I thought it seemed a little harsh for Odyssey maybe?
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Leonard Meltsner wrote:I absolutely LOVED that line about faking the heart attack with Polehaus, thought when I heard it, I thought it seemed a little harsh for Odyssey maybe?
Maybe a little, but I still thought it was funny. :anxious: The lady at the printing press was great, as AE also mentioned. I really hope we hear more from her and Polehaus again at some point in the future, because I really enjoyed their interactions! She needs to take him up on that offer for dinner one day. :inlove:
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

I must have missed that occurrence.

3/5
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Hmm, that must have been in the album version, because I definitely did not hear anything like that on the radio yesterday. :P

I like this episode! Jay is so funny. :lol: I've been suspicious of Penny since she first made an appearance, and now even more so after the poster thing and trying to befriend Connie when she sees Connie is a good "forger." \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Could just be me but the printing shop scene sounds a little rough when you hear the album version.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

I've been suspicious of Penny since she first made an appearance, and now even more so after the poster thing and trying to befriend Connie when she sees Connie is a good "forger." \:D/
I disagree, I think that Penny is more-likely to used by the bad guys with out her knowing it. I am more suspicious of her professor.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

yeah, what's the deal with Penny saying she met him twice; "the first time to... the second time to... and the third time to..." ? Definetly going down as suspicious in my books... o_=
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Smaug the dragon wrote:yeah, what's the deal with Penny saying she met him twice; "the first time to... the second time to... and the third time to..." ? Definetly going down as suspicious in my books... o_=

I caught that too this time around. I have the downloaded album, but am listening again online each week. And wasn't Brentwood where OJ Simpson lived? That seemed an odd name to use for the housing development.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

yeah, what's the deal with Penny saying she met him twice; "the first time to... the second time to... and the third time to..." ? Definetly going down as suspicious in my books... o_=
Making a mistake makes her suspicious? People make mistakes all the time. The fact she want Connie to go into art cloning business, to me seems more like that she is going to be used or being used by the bad guys.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

Moontide wrote:
Making a mistake makes her suspicious? People make mistakes all the time. The fact she want Connie to go into art cloning business, to me seems more like that she is going to be used or being used by the bad guys.
Making a mistake like that makes her suspicious. The writers wouldn't put it in for no reason... I don't think. >_<
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

Why not? She is a person that would make a mistake like that. Maybe they put it in because it would fit her personality.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

So this is my copied review from my blog :anxious:

And the next episode is in for the Green Ring Conspiracy! And now, with all pardons to my giving away information that I shouldn’t *cough*Christian*cough*youknowhatImeanwhenIsayyou*cough*, let’s begin!
So Buck *thinks* he has the job, except for that one “hiccup” in the plan. Quickly resolved, however, it looks like Katrina will be meeting Mr. Skint and Buck at the carnival. Anyone think that Katrina would think this was kind of suspicious? I feel sorry for Buck because of how Skint is manipulating him to do what he wants. Yes, Buck isn’t totally innocent (as we kind of see...in another episode *cough*Christian*), but Skint’s been using him for his own good, as we’ve seen and will see *cough*. Only time will tell if Buck is going to realize that Skint isn’t doing this just “for survival”, but if he has darker motives.
In the next scene, Matthew is frustrated with the Appleberry as he goes, “What am I gonna do with this thing?!” Is it just me, or did that first line seem kind of...not well said? It’s just a picky little thing, but that sounded staged. Anyways, Jay comes in and comments on Matthew’s hair. He notices that stuff? And why did he have to recite Shakespeare with a bowling pin on his head? A new form of detention by some wacky teacher? One more of those unanswered questions, just like the echo of a duck. Blah. For a second, I’d just like to say something about Jay. He’s become my favorite character since the start. He’s a bully, yes, but he’s not like Rodney who had nothing likable about him. At least Jay shows his softer side when he’s talking with Uncle Wally about his past. Deep down in there, he’s a really good person. And I’m sure he would have been much better if Christian’s April Fool’s blog post about Unbecoming Jay had been really true. *cough*Christian*cough* But...he has a weakness and has trouble doing manual labor. But he actually did it! And he...*gasp* survived! Let’s give it up for Jay! We also see that Wally may have something to use that GPS for. Hmm....
Back at Whit’s house, Polehaus and Whit try to figure out what’s up with that disk. With a clue, they head on out on another lead. Monty’s wanting to be involved in the mystery seems a bit like what I thought he’d be. With Whit telling him to rest, and his constantly asking, it made them seem more like a real family, if you catch my drift. And Connie...could really stop screaming. Please.
As Matthew and Emily go over to Whit’s End, Emily kind of seems better than she did last time she and her sidekick were around. Maybe her being smitten with Buck made him nice to her. But only for a bit, as she ends by telling him he’s so exasperating. Emily is the one who’s really annoying. If she left, I wouldn’t give her a second thought.
Despite Skint’s wise planning for the most part, I think he kind of slipped here. Because by the way he was acting, being suspicious and leaving some clues as to what he was doing, Skint wasn’t covering his trails well. Which is why Wally decided to go after him. Jay goes to do his uncle’s bidding by using the GPS (aha! So it was used after all!) that Matthew had been working on. Buck and Jay don’t make it off to a very good start (not that they had ‘earlier’) as Jay scares Buck away with all his weird truck noises. Yep, it’s not exactly the best way to make friends. Take it from me, take it from Buck, and hopefully take it from what Jay’s thought. But is Wally’s hunch right?
Meanwhile, Whit and Polehaus go to Renco’s Printing to find about who commissioned the company to print the poster. Polehaus doesn’t make a good impression with the lady, as she calls him “brutally terse”. Could she really possibly like Polehaus? No...However, something else is found out. Could Trask have something to do with it? And is Penny involved also? I wonder...
At Whit’s End, Matthew and Emily are with Eugene as Eugene’s trying to fix the Barrymore train set. Why was this mentioned? Could this have something to do with the whole conspiracy somehow? Or is it just like Emily says, something guys never need to know? Only time will tell, I hope. Anyways, in the basement, Matthew shows Eugene the Appleberry, and Eugene uses a program to try to figure it out. What is the password? I’ll give you a hint. We’ve heard about it before.
The next scene shows a little bit more about Buck and his longing for a real home. Here it shows us some more about Buck’s character. Despite how misguided he his...this just shows that he really is just like us all. Often we think villains are cold and heartless people, but they have feelings just like us.
Moving back to the plot, it seems like Connie’s gaining brownie points with Trask. Is he gonna ask her to join the conspiracy? Or does have Penny have a part? And why won’t wit let Connie start a business?! The little scene while Penny and Connie wait for Whit and Polehaus to get there is funny, and it’s amazing how our conscience works on us when a policeman comes near us. Maybe we can learn from her? Well, at least there was enough strudel for everyone!
Anyway, Skint has a “long, stringy beard with a stringy accent”, as we get to find out. No, the beard doesn’t have an accent. The lips between the middle of his beard do! Do you understand? If not, sympathize with Whit and Connie. But, we do find out some more about it. So Penny did the drawing, the carnival paid Trask, and everything still hasn’t been made very clear! Just what on earth is going on?
With Wally and Jay trying to find out more about Buck, and Whit and Polehaus trying to find the other connections, and Connie, Eugene, Katrina, Penny, Matthew, and the others fitting the puzzle pieces, only time can tell what’s going to happen. So many questions! So many answers! And of course, I can’t say anymore. *clamps down*
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

Marvin D. wrote:So this is my copied review from my blog :anxious:

And the next episode is in for the Green Ring Conspiracy! And now, with all pardons to my giving away information that I shouldn’t *cough*Christian*cough*youknowhatImeanwhenIsayyou*cough*, let’s begin!
So Buck *thinks* he has the job, except for that one “hiccup” in the plan. Quickly resolved, however, it looks like Katrina will be meeting Mr. Skint and Buck at the carnival. Anyone think that Katrina would think this was kind of suspicious? I feel sorry for Buck because of how Skint is manipulating him to do what he wants. Yes, Buck isn’t totally innocent (as we kind of see...in another episode *cough*Christian*), but Skint’s been using him for his own good, as we’ve seen and will see *cough*. Only time will tell if Buck is going to realize that Skint isn’t doing this just “for survival”, but if he has darker motives.
In the next scene, Matthew is frustrated with the Appleberry as he goes, “What am I gonna do with this thing?!” Is it just me, or did that first line seem kind of...not well said? It’s just a picky little thing, but that sounded staged. Anyways, Jay comes in and comments on Matthew’s hair. He notices that stuff? And why did he have to recite Shakespeare with a bowling pin on his head? A new form of detention by some wacky teacher? One more of those unanswered questions, just like the echo of a duck. Blah. For a second, I’d just like to say something about Jay. He’s become my favorite character since the start. He’s a bully, yes, but he’s not like Rodney who had nothing likable about him. At least Jay shows his softer side when he’s talking with Uncle Wally about his past. Deep down in there, he’s a really good person. And I’m sure he would have been much better if Christian’s April Fool’s blog post about Unbecoming Jay had been really true. *cough*Christian*cough* But...he has a weakness and has trouble doing manual labor. But he actually did it! And he...*gasp* survived! Let’s give it up for Jay! We also see that Wally may have something to use that GPS for. Hmm....
Back at Whit’s house, Polehaus and Whit try to figure out what’s up with that disk. With a clue, they head on out on another lead. Monty’s wanting to be involved in the mystery seems a bit like what I thought he’d be. With Whit telling him to rest, and his constantly asking, it made them seem more like a real family, if you catch my drift. And Connie...could really stop screaming. Please.
As Matthew and Emily go over to Whit’s End, Emily kind of seems better than she did last time she and her sidekick were around. Maybe her being smitten with Buck made him nice to her. But only for a bit, as she ends by telling him he’s so exasperating. Emily is the one who’s really annoying. If she left, I wouldn’t give her a second thought.
Despite Skint’s wise planning for the most part, I think he kind of slipped here. Because by the way he was acting, being suspicious and leaving some clues as to what he was doing, Skint wasn’t covering his trails well. Which is why Wally decided to go after him. Jay goes to do his uncle’s bidding by using the GPS (aha! So it was used after all!) that Matthew had been working on. Buck and Jay don’t make it off to a very good start (not that they had ‘earlier’) as Jay scares Buck away with all his weird truck noises. Yep, it’s not exactly the best way to make friends. Take it from me, take it from Buck, and hopefully take it from what Jay’s thought. But is Wally’s hunch right?
Meanwhile, Whit and Polehaus go to Renco’s Printing to find about who commissioned the company to print the poster. Polehaus doesn’t make a good impression with the lady, as she calls him “brutally terse”. Could she really possibly like Polehaus? No...However, something else is found out. Could Trask have something to do with it? And is Penny involved also? I wonder...
At Whit’s End, Matthew and Emily are with Eugene as Eugene’s trying to fix the Barrymore train set. Why was this mentioned? Could this have something to do with the whole conspiracy somehow? Or is it just like Emily says, something guys never need to know? Only time will tell, I hope. Anyways, in the basement, Matthew shows Eugene the Appleberry, and Eugene uses a program to try to figure it out. What is the password? I’ll give you a hint. We’ve heard about it before.
The next scene shows a little bit more about Buck and his longing for a real home. Here it shows us some more about Buck’s character. Despite how misguided he his...this just shows that he really is just like us all. Often we think villains are cold and heartless people, but they have feelings just like us.
Moving back to the plot, it seems like Connie’s gaining brownie points with Trask. Is he gonna ask her to join the conspiracy? Or does have Penny have a part? And why won’t wit let Connie start a business?! The little scene while Penny and Connie wait for Whit and Polehaus to get there is funny, and it’s amazing how our conscience works on us when a policeman comes near us. Maybe we can learn from her? Well, at least there was enough strudel for everyone!
Anyway, Skint has a “long, stringy beard with a stringy accent”, as we get to find out. No, the beard doesn’t have an accent. The lips between the middle of his beard do! Do you understand? If not, sympathize with Whit and Connie. But, we do find out some more about it. So Penny did the drawing, the carnival paid Trask, and everything still hasn’t been made very clear! Just what on earth is going on?
With Wally and Jay trying to find out more about Buck, and Whit and Polehaus trying to find the other connections, and Connie, Eugene, Katrina, Penny, Matthew, and the others fitting the puzzle pieces, only time can tell what’s going to happen. So many questions! So many answers! And of course, I can’t say anymore. *clamps down*
I think you need some cough drops there Marvin, (and maybe a few spoiler tags?)
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Here's my review of episodes 4 and 5 put together:

Wow! Episode five was packed full! I think it's my favorite episode so far! We didn't exactly learn all that much new stuff, but it was a great episode! Here's my review of this week's episode combined with last week's.

I love how Connie continues to have no idea what's going on. How surprised she must have been when Whit and a detective came in to her and Penny and interrogated Penny like she was a criminal. And then she asks Whit in the style that Tom continued to do in the Novacom saga when she's going to find out what's going on! I'm interested to see what part she'll play in the drama as it continues to unfold. Maybe she'll get kidnapped and Mitch will come to rescue her again! Maybe he's the Stilletto!

Andre Stojka is growing on me more and more as these episodes continue. He does a pretty good job in mystery mode, although I do have to admit, I still think Hal Smith and Paul Herlinger did better. He still seems like a Winnie-the-Pooh to me, and doesn't really get all that involved in the mystery. But the chemistry between him and Monty is pretty good. Their voices fit together, and it sounded good when Monty was giving Whit the scoop about everything that had happened up to this point. Monty doesn't sound exactly like I would have hoped, but he's okay. The guy who plays him played the bully in Another Man's Shoes years ago, so I have that guy's personality stuck in my head when I hear his voice, which isn't such a good thing. It gives more of a possibility for him to actually be a rogue agent. But I think that's been cleared up now, and now I suspect Agent Tanner.

I kind of suspected her from the beginning, since she suggested that Monty was a bad guy. Plus, her voice just screams that she's up to no good. Just as Detective Polehaus pointed out, she had no agents with her, and she traveled from Springfield in impossible time. I think her head really was turned when a lot of money was offered to her. She was the one who called Dirk Beggs and convinced him to change flight plans and go to Atlanta. I think that when Matthew and Eugene finally figure out the password to Dirk's phone, they're going to find Agent Tanner's phone number in there.

I liked the presence of kids in this episode. I think that's what's kept the last couple of episodes from being more exciting these last few weeks. I'm liking Jay more and more, since he continues to try to help catch the bad guys, and he trusts his uncle despite what the detective has said. I'm interested to see what he and Wally find out about Mr. Skint and Buck in the next episode that we might not already know.

I think Audrey Wasalewski did a great job as Katrina in part four, and I look forward to hearing her response to Buck's suggestion that she meet Mr. Skint at the carnival. I hope she gets to play a major part in the rest of the season, because I want to hear her with Eugene more. They're husband and wife, and yet we hadn't heard mention of her in four seasons! So I want to hear more of them together. Maybe they can work together to catch the counterfeiters.

Moving on, I don't know what to think about Penny Wise and Dr. Trask. I was thinking that the fact that they were involved with the painting of the carnival poster would link them to the bad guys, but so far, it doesn't seem to. But the counterfeiters would need an artist to design the fake bills. Who else could it be but the suspicious "Christian" local artist teacher at the college? But as Chris always says, I guess I'll just have to keep listening to see what happens with them. :)

A bunch of questions were answered in these last couple episodes, but now a bunch more have been brought up: Are we going to hear anything more from Dirk Beggs? Will he try to do something to Monty to keep himself clear? What will Matthew and Eugene find on the cell phone if they figure out the password? Will Katrina's suspicion about Buck lead her on a search to the address Buck gave her? Will she be convinced about Mr. Skint if and when she meets him at the carnival? What significance do Uncle Archie and the carnival have in all this? What is the connection between Archie and Wally, and when will it come into play? Are Penny Wise and/or Benjamin Trask real Christians? Do they have any connection to the counterfeiting? What will Detective Polehaus think about the printing press at Haggler's Junkyard? Will Monty stay put at Whit's house? Or will he seek out Agent Tanner? Is she really on the bad side or are we just being made to think that? Is there maybe something that Detective Polehaus is hiding?

Boy, I don't know if I'm going to be able to wait seven more episodes until all these are answered! And then I hear that there are more questions after that anyway! Aaah! I can't wait for next week!

Thanks for reading my review!