585: "The Poor Rich Guy"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How'd you like this ep?

5 stars!
32%
4 stars!
45%
3 stars!
19%
2 stars!
3%
1 star!
No votes
0 stars!
No votes

Total votes: 31

Chandler

585: "The Poor Rich Guy"

Post by Chandler »

Tell us how you liked it...

On Saturday! \:D/ \:D/
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

Haven't heard it YET. I will soon, though!
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")
emmalee08
Lurker

Post by emmalee08 »

I thought this was a good episode mainly because I love Wooton, but I gotta admit that one of my biggest pet peeves is when a new mystery begins and instead of continuing the story immediatly, they put in kind of a "filler" episode. I think I would of liked this episode a lot more if it wasn't getting in the way of what I really wanted to know!! I remember the last time this happened was when the whole applesauce fiasco was going on and they just threw in heat wave for a calm episode. Basically I've just been missing Eugene for so long that I'm not ready to hear episodes without him quite yet.
Agentpaw
Eh, whats up doc?

Post by Agentpaw »

I gave it 5 stars. I thought this was a great episode! (as are all of them) :)

Alex.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

w00t! Pure awesomeness! <--My review. ;)
...I hate marquees.
Broadcast
Not as new

Post by Broadcast »

My review is up! HERE
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I absolutely loved it! \:D/

I thought it was a great episode and very funny. I have mixed feelings on Wooton's secret coming out...you know that Grady is going to let it slip sometime. It's nice to find out a little bit about where Wooton draws Powerboy and all that. I thought Marvin and Tamika were funny too - did his voice just change, or is that a different actor? :-k
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

I am going to listen to it again before rating it. \:D/
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

=D> I thought it was good. I was a bit disappointed that we didn't have a continuation on Eugene and his father but I think it was a very good Odyssey. I know several people have said this, but some of the episodes they've had in the last couple of years lacked the moral lesson that I grew up with as I listened to Odyssey. I think this one did and that's what I liked about it. It was good to have one on studying the Bible in context...it's a very necessary subject. No, I don't think Marvin was a different actor. He did sound different so I'm thinking maybe his voice changed...I just thought he sounded too much the same to be a completely different actor.

Thanks Lucy Pevensie for my awsome avatar and signature!!!

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Laura Ingalls wrote:I absolutely loved it! \:D/

I thought it was a great episode and very funny. I have mixed feelings on Wooton's secret coming out...you know that Grady is going to let it slip sometime. It's nice to find out a little bit about where Wooton draws Powerboy and all that. I thought Marvin and Tamika were funny too - did his voice just change, or is that a different actor? :-k
His voice changed would be my guess. It still sounds too much like him to be otherwise.
...I hate marquees.
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

I really liked it. Especially 'cause it had Wooton in it. \:D/
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Broadcast and pinkjeans92 touched on the moral, and I concur. Though there are episodes to come, I’d like to nominate “The Poor Rich Guy” for best moral. The moral was weaved throughout the storyline (I could tell what would be from the very beginning.) and culminated in an excellent scene with Whit, Tamika, Marvin, Grady, and the Egyptian zoo article.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

This was a great episode! At first I was a little confused about what the moral would be... "Don't be rich"? By the end I was very happy with this show, though! Very good and much needed moral!

I agree with what Laura said about Wooton's secret. Obviously, everyone's going to find out sometime. On one hand, that makes me kind of sad, and yet, on the other hand, it was obvious that people would find out sometime. Otherwise there would be no point in having him be the creator of Powerboy in the first place. It definitely sets us up for some great stories in the future! :D

4.5/5 stars
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
dancer02248
I've been working out

Post by dancer02248 »

J-man wrote:
Laura Ingalls wrote:I absolutely loved it! \:D/

His voice changed would be my guess. It still sounds too much like him to be otherwise.
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing...I think his voice changed, and now he sounds a lot more like his cousin(can't think of his name)

This was a very good episode, but I thought a few things seemed just a little bit childish (but it's also supposed to be for kids 1/2 my age :- ), but I really liked it. Wooton has such a big heart, and I liked all of the characters involved in this episode!

4/5
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

dancer02248 wrote:
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing...I think his voice changed, and now he sounds a lot more like his cousin(can't think of his name)
Xavier.
...I hate marquees.
Kanimoto
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Kanimoto »

4 stars...I liked it, but yeah, some things did seem rather childish. I do wish they'd continue the mystery with Eugene and his dad, too.

Grady's quickly becoming one of my most-liked characters (don't ask me why; maybe it has something to do with the fact that he's friends with Wooton). I hope the writers have an ep planned in which he becomes a Christian. O:)
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I'm still working on my review, but I want to address the Eugene's Dad Storyline continuity thing.

Some people have said that this storyline shouldn't really be interrupted with episodes like slice of life. Or other storylines.

I disagree with that, and here's why; in the early years (basically everything up to the split ep season) Odyssey has several storylines going. The beauty of it was that we didn't hear one arc of one storyline, have it resolved, then move to the next etc. Instead the team had several going at the same time. I feel strongly that this add realism to the show. And a good deal of depth.

Now we are in the same situation; Eugene's Father is not the only storyline going on right now; we have whatever is going on with Mandy, Connie's book, Wooton's powerboy and family stuff, Eugene and Katrina's organization, Grady's maturing, Aubrey in college (I know, it's not a storyline yet, but I hope it becomes one) and who knows what else the team has planned for the next several years.

I also don't think that having a slice of life ep follow Dead Ends is a bad thing. First of all, this storyline was introduced with Prisoners of Fear, which aired last October (so we had a good four months between that and Dead Ends). And having the storyline spread out over time helps make it real. After all, who would believe it if they cramed the whole story into two months of airtime? That's simply not realistic; in real life, it takes time, and I expect it to take time in radio land as well (classic example is the Blackgaard Saga).

Besides, it keeps us listening :)

Point is, just because we may go several weeks or months without dealing with this storyline doesn't mean we won't be hearing from it. For those who want to here more, I can say most assuredly that I'm positive we'll be hearing from it; we just need to be patient.

Just my two cents.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

*points to sig*

The two best quotes from the ep! :lol:
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

This time we are actually told that Wooton writes whatitsname. But before we have lots of hints about it.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

DanP740 wrote:This time we are actually told that Wooton writes whatitsname. But before we have lots of hints about it.
Actually we were told in Bassett Hounds; this is the first time anyone besides his Grandpa has found out.