I want this...

PC of my dreams

This is a place where gamers can come and tell of their favorite games, discuss current games, head up gaming contests, and join in on online games that others are playing. It's a place run by gamers and enjoyed by all types of gamers alike.
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

I want this...

Post by Shadowpaw »

To be released first quarter of 2006, it has four graphics cards in it (that's 4 x GeForce 7800) and an Intel Pentium processor Extreme Edition 955 overclocked at 4.2GHz.

The price hasn't been announced, but it's supposedly a lot. My guess is the base price will be around $5000. With all the normal upgrades added on, you're looking at around $7500 (at least Canadian). But with that much power, I don't imagine you'll need to be upgrading any time soon! And yes, the flames are part of the chassis :).

Here's more:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2006/01/05 ... 41912.html
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

That's cool! I also like things that Alienware gives.

But really, what will you do with that super of a computer?
Me
An original

Post by Me »

*shudder* Dell has no respect in the gaming market.... Not that your processor, etc, could keep up with that much gfx power anyway. Cool idea, but I'm really not impressed. Or maybe I just spent too much time reading the comments about it on Gamespot. :anxious: I'd rather build my own system. :)
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

Me wrote:*shudder* Dell has no respect in the gaming market.... Not that your processor, etc, could keep up with that much gfx power anyway. Cool idea, but I'm really not impressed. Or maybe I just spent too much time reading the comments about it on Gamespot. :anxious: I'd rather build my own system. :)
Of course I agree you can make much better of a gaming system by yourself for less but I was trying to make our big paw feel better!
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

If you buy that PC you must turn your PC you have now into a Linux server for ToO!
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Haha, I was actually more interested in the chassis :). I still intend to build my next PC, but those flames are so cool and go well with my love of the Calgary Flames :). Unfortunately, the towers you can buy for your PC when building one are usually not that attractive... there are a few exceptions, but they always look so generic. I would like something that really stands out, like this machine. As for Alienware over Dell, I would definitely prefer Alienware. Though my current rig is a Dell XPS and it's been wonderful for gaming and not as expensive as an Alienware model. But you get way more options with Alienware and the cool LEDs on the front.

Another sticky point with this particular machine is that I'm an ATI gamer, so I would prefer a Radeon in my PC as opposed to a GeForce. But ironically, I also like SLi technology better than Crossfire, so I'm in a bit of a pickle (for those trying to follow this conversation and not sure what I'm talking about, SLi is what enables two graphics cards to work together in an nVidia setup, Crossfire does that same for ATI cards). So I'm not that loyal to either brand, I've just always been happier (in history) with my ATI cards over the nVidia ones.

It's more the concept of the machine that I think is pretty cool. But as Me pointed out, you're going to have a tough time getting the most of out of it... though with dual core processors, both with hyper threading, you've got yourself a pseudo-equivalent of four processors in there. Not too shabby to power your four graphics cards ;).

Which leads to my last sticky point... I'd rather have an AMD chipset ;). So yes, it is still best to go with building it myself... but I would love to buy this thing just for the tower :).
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

One word for the case....stickers.
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

Another word added to the case-word-resevoir... airbrush.
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

While I didn't configure the computer above, I picked a setup I liked and tried to make the same setup at 4 computer ordering places... it's amazing how different the pricing is ;).

The basic specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 FX-57
XP Media Center PC
SLI Power Supply
Dual 512 GeForce 7800 GTX
2GB SD RAM at 400MHz
500 GB RAID0 SATA II/3GB w/16 MB cache
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro High Def 7.1
Dual Layer +- DVD burner
UPS
No monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers

The prices were (in CAD dollars):

Build it myself - $5001.50
Dell - $5152.16
Alienware - $8016.37
VoodooPC - $9017.40

The Dell is kind of misleading, as they don't have AMD and I had to skimp on several of the options such as only dual 256 MB graphics cards and no UPS, but it also has speakers and a monitor... something the other setups do not have. But it's also Dell, so it's bloated to the max... something reformatting fixes, but Dell no longer provides the resource CDs (or the OS) required and instead partion space on your harddrive to restore at any point in time. You can call to get the CDs, but it's a hassle (something I learned at work this month, when we bought a PC as a retirement present for a co-worker)... they wouldn't send me the CDs since they credit card used was the company's president, yet I was the IT guy :(. She had to call Dell to get it sorted out and was not very happy about it.

Building it myself was by far the cheapest, and it also helps that I don't have to pay for shipping since all the items I can get at a store in town... I actually configured the system using their website. Alienware's price gets a bit expensive because of shipping ($450) and liquid cooling ;), and VoodooPC is just way overpriced (that price doesn't even include shipping, since they are located in Calgary, I selected pick up in store). But VoodooPC has very unique looking towers (customized with special engravings and stuff), so it's more of a unique system which is where the price comes into play. On the other hand, the towers are kind of ugly ;).

It's amazing how much money you save by building it yourself... nearly $4000 with this setup. The better the system you build, the more you end up saving.
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

$10,000 for a computer seems a little stupid ;)

What's the conversion for Canadian dollars to US?
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

STRYPER wrote:$10,000 for a computer seems a little stupid ;)

Haha yeah, it is stupid ;).

$10,000 is about $8,586.61 USD. So to build the computer myself, it's about $4,293.31.
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

Shadowpaw wrote:
STRYPER wrote:$10,000 for a computer seems a little stupid ;)

Haha yeah, it is stupid ;).

$10,000 is about $8,586.61 USD. So to build the computer myself, it's about $4,293.31.
Cool cases huh... you know people are coming up with cooler, COOLER, HOT cases all the time! Use the power of My most hated nemesis that has taken over the world.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

I would want that!!!!!!

For free. :anxious:
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

danadelfos wrote:I would want that!!!!!!

For free. :anxious:
Now you would need a very rich and generous man for that to happen!