Pirates of the Carribean 2

A trailer! w00t!

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

Yay for bump! Because, I too, finally saw it for the first time today. And I thought it was incredible, despite what many other people said. I did think it was utterly ridiculous, but that's why I liked it!

(And I found out that, once again, Pluggedinonline takes things way out of perspective and make them sound horrible, when they really aren't. :anxious: )
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

Plugged in was created by over protective parents ;)
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Yeah, how dare people insist on discernment in regards to popular entertainment :x

...*insert massive eye roll here*

Seriously, that's how you came across. And I think you're being too hard on PI. That's actually the first thing I had in mind, to read the review when I got back home. And I've got to say, their assessment is pretty spot on.

The only thing I disagreed with is the conclusion. While I agree that this isn't a family film, and certainly not a kid's film, I do think it was a good one. Just keep the kiddies away, and the older crowd can enjoy these movies.

And debating with me on this one really is pointless, b/c if you do, I see it only as proving my point. I believe there is a serious lack of discernment among Christians (especially teenaged Christians) regarding popular entertainment.
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

Ahhh, I think I might go crazy.

My parents bought POTC2 last night. They took it out of the bag and set it on the table. We're not allowed to watch it until next week, when we go on our little before Christmas trip.
I guess I could always take just a wee little peek... No one would ever notice... :badgrin: Well, except for the fact that the plastic wrapping stuff will be gone. Hmm.

Seriously though, they're trying to torture me! They just had to plunk it down, smack dab in the middle of the table... It's taunting me! ;)

:pirate:

Sarah
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

It would be perfect if there were deleted scenes on the 2-disc DVD set! :x *glares* I know there's stuff that was deleted, but it isn't on the DVD - very unkind of them, if you ask me. :noway:

But I do like the movie! \:D/ I totally agree with Jonathan that it isn't a kiddie movie (despite what some people think) but I like it! \:D/

Sarah, that would be so hard! :mad: It would have been better if they had just totally hid it, instead of putting it on the table.
thelovelyrose
Fourscore and seven

Post by thelovelyrose »

Nope, definitely not a kiddie movie.
I thought it was weird how the first movie grew progressively darker, but the second movie grew lighter. Still, it ended darkly.

~now with High School Equivalence~
Thanks, Lizpaw and Pc Pro!
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

[cough]

I went to Wal-Mart at midnight to get it--with a free t-shirt.... :anxious:
thelovelyrose
Fourscore and seven

Post by thelovelyrose »

As I said...darkly. :shame:

~now with High School Equivalence~
Thanks, Lizpaw and Pc Pro!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

This is probably my favorite of the Pirates movies. I love the character of Davy Jones I think he's great just as a presence, the look and sound, but as his story unfolds over this movie and the next he's shown to be a complex figure as well.

I've always thought this opening scene is really good. The image of the soldiers moving through the rain, and then a great introduction of Beckett, clearly setting the tone of the character and his role in the story from his first moments with the 'mistaken' warrant.

This movie expands the supernatural element of this world in a way I found really interesting and engaging. Like I said in the first movie's thread, I really enjoy the feel of the lore they put together.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I think the first movie is still better, but I might enjoy the second movie just a smidge more. The opening scene is good storytelling, and I love all the little callbacks and references to the first movie in such fun ways. I remember at the time that some people thought that it was too much, but I still love it! There are lots of memorable lines and it's lots of fun, with a decent story to go with the fun.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:I think the first movie is still better, but I might enjoy the second movie just a smidge more.
This is a good note. The first movie is certainly the best movie in the franchise. I don't dispute that. My favoritism though considers more than just that, and this movie gives me the most of what I like most about the series so I enjoy it more, or in a different way, and that's why I like it best. :yes:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I think the first movie is still better, but I might enjoy the second movie just a smidge more.
This is a good note. The first movie is certainly the best movie in the franchise. I don't dispute that. My favoritism though considers more than just that, and this movie gives me the most of what I like most about the series so I enjoy it more, or in a different way, and that's why I like it best. :yes:
I totally support people's right to have a favourite that they know is not the "best" by some standards. Some of my favourite books and movies aren't the ones that I acknowledge to be well-made, thought-provoking, blah blah, blah, but the ones that are the most fun, most enjoyable, bring good memories, and stuff like that.