Girls wearing guy pants/jeans

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

31899 wrote:"If God looks on the inside, why should it matter what one wears to their religious institute?"
That’s my position on 'church clothes'. Of course it’s nice to dress up, but I get annoyed at people who think it’s required.
The important thing is that you’re there, not what you wear.
1 Samuel 16:7 wrote:For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

bookworm wrote:
31899 wrote:"If God looks on the inside, why should it matter what one wears to their religious institute?"
That’s my position on 'church clothes'. Of course it’s nice to dress up, but I get annoyed at people who think it’s required.
1 Samuel 16:7 wrote:For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.
But dressing up shows reverence, and even though the Lord looks at the heart, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't care about how we look.

Putting a little extra effort into looking nice on Sundays shows that we care enough to do so. It doesn't mean we have to go all out and wear super fancy things, but how hard is it to slip into a nice skirt and top instead of jeans and converse?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It isn’t, and I would not encourage anyone not to do so; I’m saying if you end up not doing it for some reason it’s not the end of the world, and wouldn’t even make God bat an eye if He had one. It’s not that it’s not a good thing to do, of course it is, what I’m saying is the people who go ‘You have to dress up for church! It’s so disrespectful not to how dare you!’ are missing the point.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Fixed -KF

And now I'm done. :mrgreen:
Last edited by ~JCGJ~ on Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Take out the part starting with feature and ending in &.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Jesus' Princess wrote:
bookworm wrote:
But dressing up shows reverence, and even though the Lord looks at the heart, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't care about how we look.

Putting a little extra effort into looking nice on Sundays shows that we care enough to do so. It doesn't mean we have to go all out and wear super fancy things, but how hard is it to slip into a nice skirt and top instead of jeans and converse?
As I said, do you dress up every time you go to the Lord in prayer or worship, or when reading your Bible?

Because church is the exact same thing, just corporate worship. ;) So by that, you should whenever you're in His presence... but as I also said, that's technically all the time anyway, which means we should dress nicely all the time...

AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT.
Last edited by Termite on Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

But I like defending section 2. :(

@Termite, you might want to be careful about those double negatives ;)

In my opinion, dressing differently than we usually dress to attend religious institutions also adds further layers to our artificial shells that we all wear. I occasionally wear bow-ties, and sometimes it happens to be on a Sunday. That doesn't mean I'm dressing up for Church. :shrugs: It doesn't really matter unless a person is judging another based upon what they are wearing.
Last edited by 31899 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

Everyone knows your salvation depends on what you wear to church....

I've been raised dressing up for church. For me it shows respect, for others it is fake. Honor God with the way you live your life. These things really don't matter.
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Termite wrote: AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

31899 wrote: In my opinion, dressing differently than we usually dress to attend religious institutions also adds further layers to our artificial shells that we all wear. I occasionally wear bow-ties, and sometimes it happens to be on a Sunday. That doesn't mean I'm dressing up for Church. :shrugs: It doesn't really matter unless a person is judging another based upon what they are wearing.
I understand that, and as somebody who wears skirts more than pants, I often dress in the same outfits for church that I might wear to a piano lesson or something. But I make sure I put in a little extra effort to look nice. I could argue the point over and over again, but I'm just going to say, I was raised to believe that dressing up for church shows reverence to the Lord.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Jesus' Princess wrote:I could argue the point over and over again, but I'm just going to say, I was raised to believe that dressing up for church shows reverence to the Lord.
It does! I’m not saying otherwise, please don’t misunderstand.
Dressing up does show respect, and it’s a good thing to do.
What I’m saying is that just because doing it does it does not follow that not doing it doesn’t.
Not dressing up does not (necessarily) show disrespect, as some people claim it does.