The Legendary Term

Are you new in town? Unfamiliar with what to do first? Pop in and take a look at several helpful guides to get you settled into your new home! You'll also find Mayoral announcements to keep you abreast of the latest developments!
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Shadowpaw wrote:
darcie wrote:It's only a problem on newToO. I was able to make edits to the other styles to fix it. It's Shadowpaw's fault for making City Hall the first forum and unable to be posted to by regular members. :x
You obviously didn't try hard enough. ;)

Ladies and gentlemen, I have fixed the announcement thread on the main page! You may now all click on links on the main page without fear of being unable to reply!
I didn't try hard enough, because I hate strongly dislike that style. :x And this was like a bajillion years ago by now.
bookworm wrote:Just like that? Why didn't someone bring you in when the feature was implemented? :x
Because I'm the one they brought in when he was too busy doing stuff to fix the board. Role re-reversal! \:D/
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

As one who has seen the benefits of a forum reboot I can see where it would be nice. However, the thing to keep in mind is you would probably have to recreate a lot of accounts and some people might not ever return because of that.

As far as the losing money, I don't see that as a big deal. We've had that for years. Why should you get to keep the money you made on your post if you edit it down to fewer characters? That's just how the mod has always worked.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

A-ty6 wrote:What about the bug that makes you lose money when you edit your post..

I'm pretty sure that only happens when you remove words and characters from your post. (As far as I know, anyway)

You are paid based on the length of your post, so if you edit it later to remove some of what you wrote, it will take away that money you initially earned. I'm not sure it's a bug so much as Fairness Keeper.

That way, you can't have one person going around copying/pasting a novel into a post to make $20 and then editing and deleting it all so it doesn't look like spam.
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I believe the bug he's referring to doesn't give a logical deduction from the post. Instead it's been a rather random amount sometimes quite extensive.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

ya one time i added 3 words to a post and lost 10 bucks. so not what it is supposed to do
I am confused
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Another thing I just noticed (while posting my abandoned AIOSoda redesign image) is that we have an attachment quota? I don't really know any details about it, but it seems super useful, and I have unlimited disk space, so I've increased the limit from 80 megs (which I imagine was hit long, long ago) to 1 Gig. Hope that is useful to everyone. I can increase it higher than that, but since I'm not sure why there was a quota to begin with, I don't want to make it too drastic of a change.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

I have to agree with everyone else on the money. Definitely keep it. This board practically runs on it, what with contests, shops, elections and such. As Kait said, fix the activity, and you'll fix the money(that's a paraphrase).

I'm not strongly opposed to a reboot, but I don't really think that's a good idea.

As for combining FM and HT, I am rather strongly opposed to that. It might work if there wasn't already years of history in each forum. Not to mention it would probably make bookworm and AE's jobs harder with the Movie and Television Archives.

Just putting my two cents in.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Tikvah
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Tikvah »

All I can say is that I agree strongly that something major has to be done. I looked forward for years to the day when I would be old enough to join the ToO and when I did, I found it inactive compared to former times.

Pretty much all the suggestions Shaowpaw has suggested sound good. I thing we need some major remodeling.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

The Top Crusader wrote:\:D/ Like a "like" button! \:D/
I'm against that idea only because it would not encourage replies. Someone posts a topic, everyone goes likelikelike, and that's the end of the thread.
A-ty6 wrote:What about the bug that makes you lose money when you edit your post..
haha, no wonder I never get any money. I edit everything.
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone! So far, what I'm gathering is that the money/rewards system is extremely important to most everyone and that archiving the board would be very unpopular. I'm happy to accommodate both of those requests!

I also have no issue with leaving Harlequin and Finneman's Market as two separate boards. That's just one idea I had, but I'm interested to know if you feel there is other boards we can combine?

I have also currently turned off the "Birthday Announcements" at the top of the page. While I think we should all celebrate and wish everyone happy birthday, there's two spots for it on the main page and I find it takes up way too much real estate on the main page. Anyone have any major objections to this?
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

I think that Gower's Field could probably be made a subforum of Odyssey 105, as it has been extremely inactive recently, and it sort of fits in the game category :)
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Shadowpaw wrote: I have also currently turned off the "Birthday Announcements" at the top of the page. While I think we should all celebrate and wish everyone happy birthday, there's two spots for it on the main page and I find it takes up way too much real estate on the main page. Anyone have any major objections to this?
I was actually rather happy when that was turned on. While, I like the list at the bottom of the main page, because it tells you whose birthdays are coming up in the next two weeks (and tells you how old they'll be), I find that I often forget to look at it. However, whenever a birthday appears in the big box at the top, it reminds me to look at the bottom and see who else has got a birthday coming up soon.
It's not a huge deal that it's gone, it just made it a little easier for me to remember to check the birthday list at the bottom more often.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

I honestly don't check the bottom of the page since I'm already logged in; I'd really rather it stay on the top >.>
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Yes, I agree. I say keep it at the top instead of the bottom.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

If it's a choice of one or the other, I'd say we should keep the bottom one, because I really like seeing who's got a birthday coming up soon, and I also like how it shows the age the person will be after that birthday; the top announcement was just a reminder for me to check the bottom list, but I can do without it, I suppose.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Bren wrote:As far as the losing money, I don't see that as a big deal. We've had that for years. Why should you get to keep the money you made on your post if you edit it down to fewer characters? That's just how the mod has always worked.
I’m unsure if this was directed at Shadowpaw or Max, because it’s two entirely separate things.
If directed at Shadowpaw, that’s not what he means. He was proposing removing money entirely. The actual feature.
If at Max, that’s not what he means either. Yes you lose money for edits - if you remove things - as you should. But sometimes, under seemingly random conditions, you lose money for edits where you actually add content, which is obviously not supposed to happen.
Specific instances of this bug were logged here in an attempt to identify some kind of pattern to figure out why it happens, but as I said it seems to be a random glitch.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Shadowpaw wrote:[Not] A Single Vote
Since this term is the first time in history where we were unable to get anyone on the ballot, and many people have requested I look into this, I am also going to review the election process here. If we do eliminate the money system, a new solution will need to be put into place to ensure the best candidates are running for Mayor/Chief of Police, and I have a few ideas. But I'd like to flesh them out a bit more before I announce anything, but I am looking at this.
I thought that's what happened when Catsville came?

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

An excellent point. Technically there was an empty ballot there, as that brought Catsville about. After the Arc the Election period was extended so a Team could get in.
The Scribbler
I'm the Scribbler and you're not.

Post by The Scribbler »

And who exactly is this Iron and Light person? I get bad vibes from her. A feminist perhaps?

If she's a feminist, then she CERTAINLY has tattoos. All feminists have tattoos. It's part of that 'my body, my choice' nonsense.
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

I'm the most tattooed feminist in the world. I'm so hardcore, I have 'feminist' tattooed on my forehead :x!

...not really... >>.