The Rydell Saga

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

The Rydell Saga

Postby Scientific Guy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:32 pm

AIOWiki: Rydell Saga
I've been working on the Morrie Rydell saga on the wiki and I'm up to the point where I get to make conjectures. So what do you think Morrie's up to?
My theory:
Morrie gets Emily elected on purpose, for some reason.
He opens a specific locker to find some information, but decides that it'll be worth it to see if Emily and Matthew can keep up with him if he opens all of them.
He tries to frame his sister and Dion Farkus by giving Dion a key, Emily a haiku, and suggesting that Mr. Redekop set up a camera.
Whatever secret he's looking for can be deciphered with the Nazi Enigma Machine, which he keeps in a secret hiding place.
Things went awry where he previously lived (perhaps Japan but we can't be sure). Not sure about this one.

_________________
Signatures are overrated.
Why am I even here?
User avatar
Scientific Guy

#LuellaHype

 
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:36 pm

Cash on hand: 341.24

Re: The Rydell Saga

Postby Jay_Smouse » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:03 pm

Scientific Guy wrote:
Things went awry where he previously lived (perhaps Japan but we can't be sure). Not sure about this one.



I would assume that they lived in Japan too, as Suzu is Japanese and their father was an ambassador in Asia.
I got this...
User avatar
Jay_Smouse
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:46 am
Gender: Male

Cash on hand: 21.70
Bank: 44.91

Re: The Rydell Saga

Postby MonkeyDude » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:37 pm

I'm really interested and curious how they're going to wrap this arc up! I'm still trying to collect my feelings on "Further from the Truth", but I think I'm starting to lean towards believing Suzu knowing more than she lets on. I'm still not sure though. I also think that Matthew has a bigger hand in this than we've seen so far. Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't believe he's behind it all but between him quitting Jones & Parker and the portable Imagination Station thing (and Emily's description of the person she suspects at the end of FFTT, which coincidentally matches him as well) I think he's going to come in to play more than we expected. On a side note, Emily going a bit stir-crazy in FFTT was a nice touch. I doubt they'll take it in this direction but it'd be super interesting to watch her slowly become more unraveled as this saga progresses and lead to some great character development for her. I know Emily is a pretty touchy topic on Odyssey boards but I've really enjoyed watching her character flesh out over the years and somewhat overcome her glaring flaws. I'm definitely looking forward to Rydell Revelations and I really, really, hope we actually get a satisfying ending to this thing.
Last edited by MonkeyDude on Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Finger guns aggressively*
I got this...
User avatar
MonkeyDude
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:03 pm

Cash on hand: 131.60
Bank: 20.00

Re: The Rydell Saga

Postby Catspaw » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:23 pm

I haven't been very engaged in this storyline. The episodes related to this storyline have usually been my least favourite in whatever album they're a part of. They seem unrealistic, and if anyone can relate to such a situation, I feel bad for them. :awkward:
Image
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
User avatar
Catspaw

 
Posts: 28863
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Canada
Age: 34
Gender: Female

Cash on hand: 9,372.23
Bank: 1,958.31

Re: The Rydell Saga

Postby ByeByeBrownie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:31 pm

Catspaw wrote:I haven't been very engaged in this storyline. The episodes related to this storyline have usually been my least favourite in whatever album they're a part of. They seem unrealistic, and if anyone can relate to such a situation, I feel bad for them. :awkward:


This is very much how I felt prior to A Sacrificial Escape. I actually really enjoyed that episode (Give me ALL the parental warnings!!), and it gave me hope that this whole series really was going somewhere. Then FFTT happened, and I was just. so. deflated. But the more I listen do that episode, the more nuances I discover in this story (so many creepy kinks going on), and the more excited I get for the conclusion.

Maybe we are all being played, and we'll end up with a flat ending on this one. :boohoo: But I'm an incurable optimist, and I'm holding my breath for something spectacular in July.
Image
Brownie has a knack
for writing superb haikus
she cannot be stopped
~Pengwin
Why am I even here?
User avatar
ByeByeBrownie
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:54 pm

Cash on hand: 192.30
Bank: 257.80

Re: The Rydell Saga

Postby Catspaw » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:48 pm

ByeByeBrownie wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I haven't been very engaged in this storyline. The episodes related to this storyline have usually been my least favourite in whatever album they're a part of. They seem unrealistic, and if anyone can relate to such a situation, I feel bad for them. :awkward:


This is very much how I felt prior to A Sacrificial Escape. I actually really enjoyed that episode (Give me ALL the parental warnings!!), and it gave me hope that this whole series really was going somewhere. Then FFTT happened, and I was just. so. deflated. But the more I listen do that episode, the more nuances I discover in this story (so many creepy kinks going on), and the more excited I get for the conclusion.

Maybe we are all being played, and we'll end up with a flat ending on this one. :boohoo: But I'm an incurable optimist, and I'm holding my breath for something spectacular in July.

I think it's too creepy. Having a psycho kid running around town for months (years?) isn't a storyline that I really want to get into. I can't picture an ending that will make me really appreciate the previous episodes. However, I've been wrong before, and it certainly could happen again. ;)
Image
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
User avatar
Catspaw

 
Posts: 28863
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Canada
Age: 34
Gender: Female

Cash on hand: 9,372.23
Bank: 1,958.31

Re: The Rydell Saga

Postby Jay_Smouse » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:21 pm

Catspaw wrote:
ByeByeBrownie wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I haven't been very engaged in this storyline. The episodes related to this storyline have usually been my least favourite in whatever album they're a part of. They seem unrealistic, and if anyone can relate to such a situation, I feel bad for them. :awkward:


This is very much how I felt prior to A Sacrificial Escape. I actually really enjoyed that episode (Give me ALL the parental warnings!!), and it gave me hope that this whole series really was going somewhere. Then FFTT happened, and I was just. so. deflated. But the more I listen do that episode, the more nuances I discover in this story (so many creepy kinks going on), and the more excited I get for the conclusion.

Maybe we are all being played, and we'll end up with a flat ending on this one. :boohoo: But I'm an incurable optimist, and I'm holding my breath for something spectacular in July.

I think it's too creepy. Having a psycho kid running around town for months (years?) isn't a storyline that I really want to get into. I can't picture an ending that will make me really appreciate the previous episodes. However, I've been wrong before, and it certainly could happen again. ;)


I hope you're wrong. Not because you'd be wrong about something, but because I like this saga and hope it turns out to be good. Also, I think that Morrie isn't the one behind it all. There are adult(s) who are the main villains of this arc, and after Morrie's part in this saga ends (as stated on the most recent Q & A podcast) he is still going to be in Odyssey (I hope he becomes a major kid character, I like him). Then a few albums later, the real villains will be revealed.
I got this...
User avatar
Jay_Smouse
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:46 am
Gender: Male

Cash on hand: 21.70
Bank: 44.91

Re: The Rydell Saga

Postby Catspaw » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:51 pm

Jay_Smouse wrote:
Catspaw wrote:
ByeByeBrownie wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I haven't been very engaged in this storyline. The episodes related to this storyline have usually been my least favourite in whatever album they're a part of. They seem unrealistic, and if anyone can relate to such a situation, I feel bad for them. :awkward:


This is very much how I felt prior to A Sacrificial Escape. I actually really enjoyed that episode (Give me ALL the parental warnings!!), and it gave me hope that this whole series really was going somewhere. Then FFTT happened, and I was just. so. deflated. But the more I listen do that episode, the more nuances I discover in this story (so many creepy kinks going on), and the more excited I get for the conclusion.

Maybe we are all being played, and we'll end up with a flat ending on this one. :boohoo: But I'm an incurable optimist, and I'm holding my breath for something spectacular in July.

I think it's too creepy. Having a psycho kid running around town for months (years?) isn't a storyline that I really want to get into. I can't picture an ending that will make me really appreciate the previous episodes. However, I've been wrong before, and it certainly could happen again. ;)


I hope you're wrong. Not because you'd be wrong about something, but because I like this saga and hope it turns out to be good. Also, I think that Morrie isn't the one behind it all. There are adult(s) who are the main villains of this arc, and after Morrie's part in this saga ends (as stated on the most recent Q & A podcast) he is still going to be in Odyssey (I hope he becomes a major kid character, I like him). Then a few albums later, the real villains will be revealed.

I haven't listened to the podcast in a long time, so I hadn't heard that info. If he's sticking around it seems like there might be some other force at work. I also don't like a long, drawn-out mystery with absolutely no chance of having the clues to come to a reasonable guess. Maybe I'm just picky. ;) You never know! Maybe a year from now I'll be laughing at how outdated my posts here are.
Image
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
User avatar
Catspaw

 
Posts: 28863
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Canada
Age: 34
Gender: Female

Cash on hand: 9,372.23
Bank: 1,958.31

Re: The Rydell Saga

Postby ByeByeBrownie » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:58 pm

Jay_Smouse wrote:
Catspaw wrote:
ByeByeBrownie wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I haven't been very engaged in this storyline. The episodes related to this storyline have usually been my least favourite in whatever album they're a part of. They seem unrealistic, and if anyone can relate to such a situation, I feel bad for them. :awkward:


This is very much how I felt prior to A Sacrificial Escape. I actually really enjoyed that episode (Give me ALL the parental warnings!!), and it gave me hope that this whole series really was going somewhere. Then FFTT happened, and I was just. so. deflated. But the more I listen do that episode, the more nuances I discover in this story (so many creepy kinks going on), and the more excited I get for the conclusion.

Maybe we are all being played, and we'll end up with a flat ending on this one. :boohoo: But I'm an incurable optimist, and I'm holding my breath for something spectacular in July.

I think it's too creepy. Having a psycho kid running around town for months (years?) isn't a storyline that I really want to get into. I can't picture an ending that will make me really appreciate the previous episodes. However, I've been wrong before, and it certainly could happen again. ;)


I hope you're wrong. Not because you'd be wrong about something, but because I like this saga and hope it turns out to be good. Also, I think that Morrie isn't the one behind it all. There are adult(s) who are the main villains of this arc, and after Morrie's part in this saga ends (as stated on the most recent Q & A podcast) he is still going to be in Odyssey (I hope he becomes a major kid character, I like him). Then a few albums later, the real villains will be revealed.


That's the thing--that it's not just a psycho kid who's running everything. AIO has confirmed that there is/are yet-unintroduced adult(s) who will be big players in the final resolution of this whole thing. That could either make this whole saga make a whole lot of sense, or twist it all up in some sort of fake ending. We shall see.

AIO has withheld virtually all information on the Rydell parents, so I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they play in somehow.
Image
Brownie has a knack
for writing superb haikus
she cannot be stopped
~Pengwin
Why am I even here?
User avatar
ByeByeBrownie
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:54 pm

Cash on hand: 192.30
Bank: 257.80

Re: The Rydell Saga

Postby Jay_Smouse » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:28 pm

ByeByeBrownie wrote:
Jay_Smouse wrote:
Catspaw wrote:
ByeByeBrownie wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I haven't been very engaged in this storyline. The episodes related to this storyline have usually been my least favourite in whatever album they're a part of. They seem unrealistic, and if anyone can relate to such a situation, I feel bad for them. :awkward:


This is very much how I felt prior to A Sacrificial Escape. I actually really enjoyed that episode (Give me ALL the parental warnings!!), and it gave me hope that this whole series really was going somewhere. Then FFTT happened, and I was just. so. deflated. But the more I listen do that episode, the more nuances I discover in this story (so many creepy kinks going on), and the more excited I get for the conclusion.

Maybe we are all being played, and we'll end up with a flat ending on this one. :boohoo: But I'm an incurable optimist, and I'm holding my breath for something spectacular in July.

I think it's too creepy. Having a psycho kid running around town for months (years?) isn't a storyline that I really want to get into. I can't picture an ending that will make me really appreciate the previous episodes. However, I've been wrong before, and it certainly could happen again. ;)


I hope you're wrong. Not because you'd be wrong about something, but because I like this saga and hope it turns out to be good. Also, I think that Morrie isn't the one behind it all. There are adult(s) who are the main villains of this arc, and after Morrie's part in this saga ends (as stated on the most recent Q & A podcast) he is still going to be in Odyssey (I hope he becomes a major kid character, I like him). Then a few albums later, the real villains will be revealed.


That's the thing--that it's not just a psycho kid who's running everything. AIO has confirmed that there is/are yet-unintroduced adult(s) who will be big players in the final resolution of this whole thing. That could either make this whole saga make a whole lot of sense, or twist it all up in some sort of fake ending. We shall see.

AIO has withheld virtually all information on the Rydell parents, so I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they play in somehow.


Yes, the parents will probably play key roles in upcoming episodes, especially The Rydell Revelations. It's interesting how it says the "Rydell", not just Morrie specifically. Maybe it's just a reference to how fans have titled it "The Rydell Saga", but I think it's a clue. The only thing we really know about Morrie and Suzu's parents is that their father was an ambassador for the United States to Asia. We also recently heard that one (or both) of the Rydell parents will be appearing in The Rydell Revelations. Why is his father not an ambassador anymore? Maybe he was fired from the position. Then again, maybe he just quit, or is even taking a break. That'd have to be a long break though, as the Rydells have been in Odyssey for four years of real time now. Maybe that's less in Odyssey time, it's always been a mystery how it works.

Anyway, that was just a few random thoughts about the Rydell Saga.
I got this...
User avatar
Jay_Smouse
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:46 am
Gender: Male

Cash on hand: 21.70
Bank: 44.91

Re: The Rydell Saga

Postby MonkeyDude » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:36 pm

To be honest, I really can't blame anyone for their distaste for this particular arc. I would agree that it feels as if it hasn't been handled the best at times, however I'm trying to save all my criticisms till it ends and all has been said and done. This arc has been riddled with a couple disappointments but all we can really do is hope that it all comes together. The Key Suspect and Secret of the Writer's Ruse were both pretty unengaging in my opinion, but I really enjoy A Sacrificial Escape and Further From the Truth. My biggest complaint thus far is the amount of wasted potential. Like, yeah, I'm very excited to see how it plays out but I feel like I could be way more excited if certain things had been handled better. All that aside though, massive kudos to the Odyssey team, just because I have a certain vision for things doesn't mean it's the right vision. And one of the biggest reasons I'm so interested is because I really have absolutely no idea where it's going.
*Finger guns aggressively*
I got this...
User avatar
MonkeyDude
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:03 pm

Cash on hand: 131.60
Bank: 20.00

Re: The Rydell Saga

Postby ByeByeBrownie » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:05 pm

MonkeyDude wrote:All that aside though, massive kudos to the Odyssey team, just because I have a certain vision for things doesn't mean it's the right vision. And one of the biggest reasons I'm so interested is because I really have absolutely no idea where it's going.


This. YES. I have to admit that, though I've been pretty disappointed by much of this saga so far, I do have faith in the Odyssey team, and I am really looking forward to the pawtastic finish I know they're capable of delivering. Like you said, most of the reason why I'm so interested in this saga is that it is truly such a MYSTERY to me.
Image
Brownie has a knack
for writing superb haikus
she cannot be stopped
~Pengwin
Why am I even here?
User avatar
ByeByeBrownie
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:54 pm

Cash on hand: 192.30
Bank: 257.80

Re: The Rydell Saga

Postby Jay_Smouse » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:40 pm

I have recently come to the conclusion that Morrie isn't "bad" in any way. He's a confused kid looking for answers. He wants to know the meaning of "good" and wants to know what the "truth" is. He wants to know what is truly good. That being said, I think there is still great potential for an exciting mystery in this saga. There is probably something between Suzu and their parents happening, or, between Morrie and their parents. Neither parent has ever showed up or even been mentioned by anyone. Not even Whit has mentioned their parent(s). This mysterious relationship problem between Morrie (or Suzu) and the Rydell parents could have to do with when things went awry ("We don't want things to go... awry again." -Suzu). This likely happened whilst they were in Asia, presumably Japan, and somehow led to Mr. Rydell being forced to give up his position as an Ambassador or at least take a break. Now we're in Odyssey and Morrie is
genuinely concerned that Suzu was kidnapped. He didn't go to his parents about it, but to someone he knew he could trust: Whit. He believes that Emily kidnapped Suzu, and while I definitely don't think Emily actually kidnapped Suzu, whatever was on that phone would have convinced most people that that was the case.


I'm relistening to the Rydell Saga again to see if I can find any more evidence for something like this happening.
I got this...
User avatar
Jay_Smouse
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:46 am
Gender: Male

Cash on hand: 21.70
Bank: 44.91

Re: The Rydell Saga

Postby Monica Stone » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:34 pm

The thing is, the album 69 cover practically proves that Morrie is devious. He might not be the mastermind of all of the incidents that have occurred thus far, but he is certainly very involved.
I got this...
User avatar
Monica Stone

Watching Pixar movies :-D

 
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:47 am
Location: Odyssey
Gender: Female

Cash on hand: 234.58

Re: The Rydell Saga

Postby Jay_Smouse » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:33 am

Monica Stone wrote:The thing is, the album 69 cover practically proves that Morrie is devious. He might not be the mastermind of all of the incidents that have occurred thus far, but he is certainly very involved.

Yes, I've seen the cover. Simply put, I think they're just tricking us. I'm not doubting that that's the real cover, I just think that it's conveying a wrong feeling about Morrie.
I got this...
User avatar
Jay_Smouse
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:46 am
Gender: Male

Cash on hand: 21.70
Bank: 44.91

Re: The Rydell Saga

Postby ByeByeBrownie » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:05 pm

Jay_Smouse wrote:
Monica Stone wrote:The thing is, the album 69 cover practically proves that Morrie is devious. He might not be the mastermind of all of the incidents that have occurred thus far, but he is certainly very involved.

Yes, I've seen the cover. Simply put, I think they're just tricking us. I'm not doubting that that's the real cover, I just think that it's conveying a wrong feeling about Morrie.


I am inclined to agree with this. Ever since the q&a official podcast from Jan. 1, I've been thinking that Morrie may not actually be the villain we've been led to believe he is. For Morrie to be the villain is just too easy a solution.

But I've resigned myself to just wait for the conclusion in July.
Image
Brownie has a knack
for writing superb haikus
she cannot be stopped
~Pengwin
Why am I even here?
User avatar
ByeByeBrownie
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:54 pm

Cash on hand: 192.30
Bank: 257.80

Re: The Rydell Saga

Postby Monica Stone » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:33 pm

I definitely don't think he is the mastermind or main villain behind everything. I'm inclined to believe he is working for a family member, but perhaps not. Maybe he was forced into helping create chaos. I don't think he's completely innocent, though. When the writers hinted that Morrie will remain, even after a "revelation", that tipped me off to the idea he is probably under pressure by another. Perhaps he'll spend a short period of time in juvenile detention, then be released and there will be episodes about him after he is freed.
Unfortunately, AIOWiki says we'll have to wait for a little over 98 days until we hear the first part of "The Rydell Revelations".
I got this...
User avatar
Monica Stone

Watching Pixar movies :-D

 
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:47 am
Location: Odyssey
Gender: Female

Cash on hand: 234.58

Re: The Rydell Saga

Postby ByeByeBrownie » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:53 pm

Monica Stone wrote:I'm inclined to believe he is working for a family member, but perhaps not. Maybe he was forced into helping create chaos. I don't think he's completely innocent, though. When the writers hinted that Morrie will remain, even after a "revelation", that tipped me off to the idea he is probably under pressure by another.


That was my other theory, that he's being coerced into his misdeeds.
Image
Brownie has a knack
for writing superb haikus
she cannot be stopped
~Pengwin
Why am I even here?
User avatar
ByeByeBrownie
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:54 pm

Cash on hand: 192.30
Bank: 257.80

Re: The Rydell Saga

Postby Jay_Smouse » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:31 pm

ByeByeBrownie wrote:Ever since the q&a official podcast from Jan. 1, I've been thinking that Morrie may not actually be the villain we've been led to believe he is. For Morrie to be the villain is just too easy a solution.

Exactly. Even if he is bad, he's got to be the Richard Maxwell to the Regis Blackgaard or the Arthur Dent to the Bennett Charles. Or maybe, as I'm inclined to believe, not bad at all. A quote from The Key Suspect caught my attention. Suzu said something like this:
Suzu Rydell wrote:I want to do the right thing [...] for our family.

So that makes me think even more strongly that there have been some bad things going on in the family, whether family members themselves are/were bad or they just fell on hard times, there is definitely some drama there. I believe that that will be explored in The Rydell Revelations, and was already hinted at, if not touched upon, in the preview.

Sorry if that's a little convoluted, I just wrote and did read over it again and change anything :).
I got this...
User avatar
Jay_Smouse
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:46 am
Gender: Male

Cash on hand: 21.70
Bank: 44.91


Return to Whit's End

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron