Disney+

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Disney+

Post by bookworm »

Making a place to talk about the Disney+ service in general because I want to hear from people that have been using it.

What has your experience been like so far? How is the ease/quality of use and service?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm loving it! I signed up the first day. No regrets. I've used it both on an iPad and on my TV and both ways have been easy to use. I haven't had any issues at all. There's lots of content that I like, with more new stuff coming for franchises that I like, so signing up was an easy decision for me.

The best part? Having baby Yoda as my avatar! :hug: It used to be Minnie Mouse (which was nice) but I noticed the other day that I could have baby Yoda instead and changed it immediately. \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Have you used the download for offline feature? I just learned that was a possibility and it's an absolute game changer in regard to whether I may eventually sign up for the service.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yes, I like to keep something downloaded on my iPad in case of a power outage, so I downloaded "The Empire Strikes Back" as a favourite that I know I will enjoy if I don't have any other options. ;) I have reliable internet access at home, so I don't use the download feature regularly, which I think is what you'd like to do, but I have no reason to think that wouldn't work. It is awesome to have the option!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yes; I don't think my internet can probably do reliable streaming, but if I could queue up some things to be downloaded overnight and then watch them as videos I would start seriously considering signing up for at least a month or two.

It seems to only be an option for the phone or tablet versions though? I would want to watch the stuff on my tv. How does the download work, does it make a file on the device that you can directly play with a media program or does it need played through the app? If it's just a regular file I could move it from my phone onto the hard drive my DVR plays from and watch it through that maybe.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm not a tech genius, so others are welcome to chime in.

As far as I can tell, the file has to be played on the device that it's downloaded on using the Disney Plus app. I couldn't figure out any other way to view or play the file. I won't guarantee that means there are no other ways, but not that I can see. Sorry.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Thanks for looking into it! I had seen an article about options for watching offline on a computer when download is only available in the mobile app and it said to download on a phone and move the file to a computer to play but I guess they didn't actually check if that is possible they just assumed.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote:Thanks for looking into it! I had seen an article about options for watching offline on a computer when download is only available in the mobile app and it said to download on a phone and move the file to a computer to play but I guess they didn't actually check if that is possible they just assumed.
Maybe there is a way that I don't know how to do. You could always try the free trial and see if you can make it work, and then let me know I was wrong. ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I've done further searching and have found multiple places that say it can't be done and no others that said it could, so I'm pretty sure the first was just a bad article. I will most likely sign up for the trial some time though and test it to know for sure - as well as test my capability to just stream in the first place; if it turns out I can do it alright then the downloads wouldn't matter anyway.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Theoretically you should be able to buy a cheap dongle for your phone or tablet that plugs into the TV so you can watch whatever is on the phone on there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Hadn't even thought of that, thanks Top! I will look into that possibility as well.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I don't have Disney+, but I've thought about subscribing. It's just, LITERALLY EVERYTHING REQUIRES A SUBSCRIPTION NOW. :x I can only afford so many. :boohoo: Right now, I only have Amazon Prime, but I used to have Netflix, and I do pay for Adobe software (but I have three months free right now \:D/ ).
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Thanks for mentioning the Adobe offer snubs! I was able to get it as well. Yay! Although I didn't want to chat so I only got 2 months free. But that's still really helpful for my budget.
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I know what you mean, snubs! There are so many subscription-based things, and you just can't have everything. To me, Dinsey+ has totally been worth it because they have so many of the things I really like.

I've been really enjoying some of the National Geographic features recently, which isn't what I subscribed for, but have been really pleased with. If anyone else likes history and mystery, "Drain the Oceans" was awesome! There were a bunch of episodes with different themes all related to discoveries on the bottom of the ocean - think ships, treasures, planes, and formations with debate about whether they were natural or human-made. Very well done and well worth the watch.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Is there not an official list somewhere from Disney themselves about what all is currently available on the service?
All I can find are third party sites and articles that I don't trust to be up to date.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I don't think there's an official list. I don't know if any streaming site does. I know for Netflix it's also just fan lists and stuff. Part of the problem is different things being available in different regions....plus I suspect that nobody wants to make it too easy to know what is actually available or to easily be able to compare. ;) If there are some specific things you're wondering about I can check for you. To the best of my understanding, Disney (unlike Netflix) has the same content in both Canada and the US. I can't totally guarantee it.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:I suspect that nobody wants to make it too easy to know what is actually available or to easily be able to compare.
The streaming services themselves probably don't, but checking where specific things are available is possible through a few places. (Just Watch is an excellent resource)

But that's the opposite of what I want to do. I don't have something particular of interest already in mind that I want to seek out I want to know what they have as options so I can find things of interest to have in mind.
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

You could just sign up for the 7-day trial and see if anything peaks your interest :shrugs:
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Sure, but it would be easier to look through a list than scroll blindly through the app. Also to maximize use of the trial it would be better to know what you want to watch ahead of time.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

bro, just sign up and see if you like it. :p

I'm sure the $7 or $13 spent on a month subscription will be worth it. *nods*
Last edited by snubs on Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |