Sherlock Holmes

New Movie

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

You should let us know how you like the film, Trent, as most of my criticisms arose mostly because I'd previously read the books/seen the other versions and was used to those adaptations. ;)
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

OK, but I won't be able to watch it. I do have the Final Case book though!
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I should have clarified that I was addressing the other Trent. The fault is mine for failing to notice the name similarity. ;)
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Sure. Never mind. My blog name is MITCHnTRENT (just call me MnT)

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Jason Whits Son
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Jason Whits Son »

I have several sherlock books, I don't think I have read all of them...but what I have read they are pretty good
Last edited by Jason Whits Son on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

What time did you write that? You made a few sp errors...I have 7 stories...

Jason Whits Son
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Jason Whits Son »

sorry, sometimes my fingers hit the wrong keys......
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Sherlock wrote:You should let us know how you like the film, Trent, as most of my criticisms arose mostly because I'd previously read the books/seen the other versions and was used to those adaptations. ;)
I very much enjoyed Robert Downey Jr.'s interpretation of Sherlock, although it would've been even more satisfying if he had relied more on his intellectual skills rather than physical prowess. I loved the film's use of flashbacks (and flash-forwards) to highlight Sherlock's observations. As far as the story goes, I found it relatively easy to follow - although the whole part about "the professor" wasn't as clear as it could've been. Overall, it was a fairly entertaining introduction to Sherlock Holmes, but not quite as captivating as I'd anticipated. I'd probably give the film 7.5 stars out of 10.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Trent DeWhite wrote:it would've been even more satisfying if he had relied more on his intellectual skills rather than physical prowess.
I think the general consensus in the movie industry is that action trumps detailed thinking (like in the original books). Action is a fundamental element of the movie genre, whereas in books its existence apparently is more flexible.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Trent DeWhite wrote:it would've been even more satisfying if he had relied more on his intellectual skills rather than physical prowess.
Technically, I believe he did use more intellectual skills than physical. We just don't see it and/or hear it because as Kody says, its Hollywood. Its big movie business. Gotta make the movie interesting, captivating. Not just thinking and all. But he definitely had to think to come up with answers, did he not?

I liked the way they used thought process in a flash-forward then went back and did it. What was it, only two times? It was much, but it was pretty awesome.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Trent DeWhite wrote:I'm planning on seeing the film tomorrow... and considering I've never read any of the books or seen of the previous movie adaptations, I'll be interested to watch it from the non-fan perspective. ;)
*pelts Trent with rotten eggs* :x
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I saw it last night, I thought it was pretty good. \:D/
ShadowSa1nt
SS Random
SS Random

Post by ShadowSa1nt »

i haven't seen it yet but i really want to. A bunch of people in my class have seen it and they say it is awesome.