678: Grandma's Christmas Visit

Rate and review

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What do you rate Grandma's Christmas Visit?

5 stars
19%
4 stars
24%
3 stars
29%
2 stars
24%
1 star
5%

Total votes: 21

Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

678: Grandma's Christmas Visit

Post by Laura Ingalls »

What did you think of today's episode? \:D/ Rate in the poll and review below. :yes:
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

There's the link, since the one of WhitsEnd.org doesn't seem to be working. :-k
I'm about to listen to it! Abuelita, here I come! \:D/
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
manfrednissley
I've been here a bit

Post by manfrednissley »

This episode was awesome, and not just in the awe thats so sweet type of awesome.
There is one error however.
A 1932S silver half dollar is worth much more than $100!
here are the price ranges as of last year, silver has gone up quite a bit in the past year.
VG-8=$185
F-12 (hair lines around Washington's ear visible. tiny Feathers on Eagle's Breast visible.= $200
VF-20 (Most hair details visible, wing feathers clear.) = 225
EF-40 (Hair lines sharp, wear spots confined to top of Eagle's legs and center of breast) = 300
AU-50 = 320
MS-60 (No trace of Wear, but many contact marks, surface spotting or faded luster possible) =500
MS-63 (No Trace of wear, Light Blemishes. Attractive mint Luster.) 1,500!!!!
MS-65 (only light, scattered contact marks that are not distracting. Strong luster, good eye-appeal.) $2,500!!!!
Most recent post: 12/1/2013, Thankfulness
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Fantastic finish to what for me would have been a ho-hum album. I am originally from San Antonio, Texas, so the elements of Los Posadas and tamales make me homesick. My Swedish husband always ask me to make tamales, and I tell him you have to be born into the right family for that. I was not. LOL Seems back to her old self rather then the 'mature' version which I think I like less and Eugene is hilarious with all his gadgets. This episode is a reason alone to buy the album until it comes out on a Christmas album of it's own.
Well Done! Feliz Navidad!
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I really liked this episode. I give it five stars out of five! :D
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

manfrednissley wrote:This episode was awesome, and not just in the awe thats so sweet type of awesome.
There is one error however.
A 1932S silver half dollar is worth much more than $100!
here are the price ranges as of last year, silver has gone up quite a bit in the past year.
VG-8=$185
F-12 (hair lines around Washington's ear visible. tiny Feathers on Eagle's Breast visible.= $200
VF-20 (Most hair details visible, wing feathers clear.) = 225
EF-40 (Hair lines sharp, wear spots confined to top of Eagle's legs and center of breast) = 300
AU-50 = 320
MS-60 (No trace of Wear, but many contact marks, surface spotting or faded luster possible) =500
MS-63 (No Trace of wear, Light Blemishes. Attractive mint Luster.) 1,500!!!!
MS-65 (only light, scattered contact marks that are not distracting. Strong luster, good eye-appeal.) $2,500!!!!

Uhm I thought they said it was a quarter, not a half dollar. The difference would change the value. :)

I loved this episode! It makes me want to celebrate los posadas myself!
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Felicity Blackgaard
I'm not Gabe

Post by Felicity Blackgaard »

Tamales... YUM! I must say, I loved this episode sooooo much. Growing up in a Mexican family, I'm all too familiar with the tamales & champurrado (Mexican Hot chocolate).

Thank you AiO! I feel like I can really relate more to the characters. :D
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

I'm not going to go too in-depth on this one...

Connie is her usual obnoxious self. I hate to say it that way, but she hasn't done anything in quite some time to get me to like her, and this episode completely failed to change anything in that regard. At least she didn't make any inane jokes at someone else's expense this time, but she just doesn't impress or especially interest me anymore. Maybe it's her voice; Katie Leigh just sounds much more harsh and sharp than she used to.

Emily Jones seems more annoying in this episode as well. I'm not sure what it is, but her voice grates on me like it hasn't in any previous appearance.

On the bright side, Grandma was overall well-written. Matthew was genuinely interesting, in contrast with most of the rest of the child characters. Mrs. Parker seems to have some real chemistry with her 'mother' going; their scenes are some of the more believable ones. Eugene was pretty good, except for the "yawn-inducing" -- that seems out of character, somehow. Whit was fine, but not exceptional.

The basic premise, "let's make a new tradition", was fine, but it got pretty unrealistic after they actually signed up the donkey and started off on that trail.

The game show scene was a bit cheesy. The end of the episode was all right, although it does seem a bit rigged that all the people who won valuable things were people we know.

All in all, a forgettable adventure in Odyssey. It isn't horrible, but I would rank a lot of other episodes above this one.

Due to ratings inflation, I would rank this 3/5. On a scale of 0-99, try something like 56/99.
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

I hate this episode!!

Connie was yelling. So out of character. Eugene...blah. Emily, ugh not again.

I was expecting another heart warming Christmas Odyssey special. I was sadly dissapointed. Even though some AIO Cmas stories have been chaotic, there was still a great lesson. This one didn't.

It was cheesy,stupid, and just plain awful. Sure there were a lot of funny lines but that's the only thing that held the show up.

Odyssey is having a hard time getting morals across and now their holiday stories stink. Thankstaking was 20xs better.

Man, I'm not usually this critical but this ep brought out the worst in me.

My rating: 2 stars out of 5.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I really enjoyed the show, myself. \:D/ I liked the scenes with the Parker parents and Abulieta. :yes:

I rated it 4/5 stars.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
IamConnie
Gold Member

Post by IamConnie »

"Somebody get the Jones family some chicken soup!" Connie yells. I think the stress of planning everything got to her. I love the 8-track tape part. I liked this episode, but I also felt it could have had a bit more depth. I rate this a 3 and a half/5
They say all roads lead to Rome, and all roads lead through Indiana. But I say that in the world of Odyssey, all roads lead to Novacom.
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

Finally listened to this episode yesterday. Not my favorite album conclusion. For some reason I didn't really like this episode all that much. I thought the plot was kind of pointless, and it isn't nearly as interesting as some of the older Christmas stories. I've liked a lot of the episodes on album 52, but this one just didn't seem as interesting or realistic or something. Oh well, still good enough that it was better than most of album 51.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

I gave it a 4 \:D/
It gave a great message as well as a few laughs :D
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Here's my review:

Usually I can listen to the episode once on the radio and then again before I write the review, but something's wrong with the media player on the FOTF website, so I can't listen to it again. Therefore, since it's been two days since I've heard the episode, this probably won't be all that great of a review.

It was nice to hear from Grandma Lucia again, but it was really weird that it seemed like the kids had totally forgotten that they were supposed to call her "Abuelita". When they introduced her or talked to her, they always called her Grandma or Nana. I don't know why it changed. But she definitely stayed true to character, having an emphasis on tradition, although this time she was asked about her tradition before she could force it on anyone.

Ava stayed very true to character as well. Although in this episode she didn't end up working up the courage to tell her mother her opinion about the tradition. She just went along with everything and didn't voice her views like she did in Grandma's Visit. But she still did a great job, and was a wonderful Mom character.

The Parker kids were pretty good too. I was very glad that Olivia was to be the one paired up with Barrett rather than Priscilla Peterson. But then that didn't even happen, so that was even better. The game show was interesting. I used to watch Let's Make a Deal a little at my grandparents' house, but not anymore. I liked that show a lot, but the AIO version didn't seem to have much of a point. I liked how the prizes ended up holding more valuable things in them. My brother pointed out that eight-track tapes must be pretty bad for Matthew not to want to tinker with it. Plus, there's an older AIO episode where Bernard Walton remarks to someone, "You're about as interesting as an eight-track tape!"

Connie seemed a little out of character because of all the yelling she did. We haven't seen her in charge of something since For Better or for Worse, I think. But even then she wasn't an obnoxious-sounding, loud, movie-director type of organizer.

Eugene was funny when we heard him. I loved the scene where the smoke/fog machine makes everybody start choking and gagging.

I didn't so much like Whit's part in this episode. Even though he's made a good narrator in the past, I didn't like him so much as the commentator or whatever you want to call it.

So, yeah, I really don't have much to say about this episode. It had a good story premise, but I don't think that the writers did that great of a job with it. Hey, at least they mentioned Jesus! And Chris went into what the "real reason for the season" is at the end. So I guess all's well that ends well.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

Christian A. wrote:Plus, there's an older AIO episode where Bernard Walton remarks to someone, "You're about as interesting as an eight-track tape!"
I think the line was "You look like the man who invested a million dollars in eight-track tapes!"
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Wooten
Lurker

Post by Wooten »

luv this episode