Odyssey and Homosexuals

Don't freak out! It's not what you think!

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Odyssey and Homosexuals

Post by Peachey Keen »

Over the years, AIO has tackled some pretty touchy issues, including abortion, alcholism, dyslexics, divorce, and the list goes on. When Pamela Has a Problem aired, parents didn't like that Odyssey "exposed" their kids to abortion without the parents' first talking with them about it.

Odyssey prides itself on relating to kids and sometimes adults in all areas in our culture. Today, one of the most controversial and accepted issues to day is gay marriages and homosexualism in general. I think it would be great if an episode of AIO would address this. No, I don't think they should explain it explicitly, but it should talk about why it is wrong.

People may ask, "We don't want our kids exposed to that" or "Shouldn't we just avoid that topic?" Yes, over 10 years ago, these would be valid points. But in our modern world, you can't go anywhere without hearing about gays and lesbians. It's on TV, movies, news reports, and in our very schools and workplaces! Kids, whether we like it or not, know what a gay person is. A show exposing the wickedness is more prevalent now than it ever has.

Those are my thoughts. What are yours?
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Instantly made me think of something said in the chat:
Jan 20 22:31:40 <PatrickRCoxTaxMaster> I actually asked Paul McCusker if there will be an episode about gay marriage on Odyssey.
Jan 20 22:32:03 <PatrickRCoxTaxMaster> He said they were going to cover that after they tackled universal health care.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

Ok, Mr. McCusker, I'll be waiting. Homosexuality is discussed in the Bible. There is a very clear stance on it in the Bible. Homosexuality is extremely prevalent in society and culture today. I don't see how it can possibly not be covered. It is 100% supported by the world today. Christians need to take a stand with this, and so far, we've fallen into an awful way, and an even more awful way. We either accept it to be 'tolerant', and desecrate one of God's Creation ordinances, or we judge others for it, and hatred is thrown against God and his church. Let me make myself clear. God does not like homosexuality. God loves homosexuals. Lady Gaga says that it's fine because you're 'born this way'? Well guess what?! I was born the way of a sinner, but I am born AGAIN! I've always seen Odyssey as groundbreaking in how it can present relevant issues to the young culture; to show a Christian Fundamentalist worldview that will not compromise to sin. Like Austin said, abortion, divorce, adoption, poverty, abuse, alcoholism, drugs, mental illness, homelessness. God has blessed this show with the ability to reach the hearts of a believing and non-believing childhood that can be saved from repeating the mistakes of its parents. I'm not saying Odyssey SHOULD address this topic. I'm saying that Odyssey NEEDS TO address this topic! *climbs off soap box*
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

I think it would be very great... but considering how much AIO seems to have "regressed" on vital issues by not mentioning them, I seriously doubt it will ever happen. And do you have any idea how they'd handle it if they did? I think it would be very hard to have a good episode on. :anxious: Not that I think they shouldn't, but I could definitely see why they'rd shy away from it. Plus, all you have to know if FOTF's stand on homosexuality and you'll know how AIO feels.

\:D/
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Adah wrote:I think it would be very great... but considering how much AIO seems to have "regressed" on vital issues by not mentioning them, I seriously doubt it will ever happen. And do you have any idea how they'd handle it if they did? I think it would be very hard to have a good episode on. :anxious: Not that I think they shouldn't, but I could definitely see why they'rd shy away from it.
True story. On the one hand, I feel like it is something that needs to be addressed because of how prevalent it has become, but on the other hand, I have NO clue how they would do it. And particularly since we seem to have, yes, regressed to be geared toward a younger age and avoiding serious topics, I'm not sure it'll happen anytime soon.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Samitude
Pilgrim

Post by Samitude »

Since they've never even discussed the sinfulness of pre-marital sex or adultery I doubt they would bring up homosexuality.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

The point made by DanP740 is that they are not going to.

For those of you trolls that are going/have gone/will post their rants, please remember Jesus taught love not hate, meaning love the sinner hate the sin. Do not hate the sinner.

Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

31899 wrote:The point made by DanP740 is that they are not going to.

For those of you trolls that are going/have gone/will post their rants, please remember Jesus taught love not hate, meaning love the sinner hate the sin. Do not hate the sinner.

That's what I was trying to say, in a rather roundabout way.
Let me make myself clear. God does not like homosexuality. God loves homosexuals.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
radgeek
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by radgeek »

Don't kill me but I'm against Odyssey doing an ep on this. I grew up in a neighborhood that at anytime you can find a same sex couple kissing in public. I don't know if that is why I wound up as kreed up as I did but this is the truth. Parents need to talk to there kids about it. Because there are still places in the US where there isn't exposure to this yet.
I have the best signature ever!

ToO mother of Merlin J. Marvin, iluvsns, ric, TKD, Alyssa, Garrett, ID4J and Monty and the other siblings that I've yet to find. ToO sister of Whitty Whit.

In the market for a Reformers Unanimous Signature Banner

Blitz: You Americans are lost. As missionaries, we generally hate stereotypes.
Jelly: Was this meant to be ironic? ;)
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

SoccerLOTR wrote:but on the other hand, I have NO clue how they would do it.
Wooton and Edwin are going to confess their love for each other and announce their upcoming marriage in Timmy's cabin. \:D/
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

DanP740 wrote:
Wooton and Edwin are going to confess their love for each other and announce their upcoming marriage in Timmy's cabin. \:D/
*to be said in ultimate sarcastic tone*

Of course.

Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

DanP740 wrote:
Don't even joke.

I could however, see Margaret Faye confessing being a lesbian. It would actually fit her character quite well, IMO.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Except that she wanted to marry Mr. Whittaker.

DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

You can be both.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

There's been people married (to the opposite sex) and then say they are actually gay.

I don't really have an opinion on this. I mean, I think it would be great for AIO to touch on this, however I highly doubt they will. Especially how Odyssey is now.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
radgeek
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by radgeek »

I would love to see a character that has same sex attractions but is a Christian and knows that fulfilling the flesh's wants in that way is sinful and won't do it. It shows that God still loves these people and can use them for his glory if they serve Him.

But that's no going to happen either.
I have the best signature ever!

ToO mother of Merlin J. Marvin, iluvsns, ric, TKD, Alyssa, Garrett, ID4J and Monty and the other siblings that I've yet to find. ToO sister of Whitty Whit.

In the market for a Reformers Unanimous Signature Banner

Blitz: You Americans are lost. As missionaries, we generally hate stereotypes.
Jelly: Was this meant to be ironic? ;)
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

This is where we can see the advantage to a teenage/adult spin-off of the show.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

I wish they would... Or at least that FOTF would. :(

Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Well, this is a prevalent topic in today's society... But I doubt they will. I have it on good authority that people there aren't really Christians. So yeah, I doubt they will. And plus, with recent albums, it seems like they have been leaving the episodes about biblical truths behind. :P "When you're right, you're right" ring a bell? Oh yeah, I posted one time on the AIO podcast comments blasting that episode, and it got modded. lol
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

What about Dr. Dobson? Or doesn't he work there anymore???