Moving out...

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Moving out...

Post by Arwen »

So on Friday I moved into my "dorm" in Baltimore, Maryland. I will be attending Bible College this fall, and I'm (sort of) on my own! My parents live 6 hours away, and I'm still getting used to it.

Any older ones care to share their moving out experiences? It's just different. I don't really know how I feel yet.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru

Post by Lord Sesshoumaru »

in time one will adapt in one way or another.

Lord Sesshoumaru
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

I'm moving out in about 6 months, and my family will be about 6 hours away as well.

It will definitely be...weird. Odd. Different.

So I can't offer any experienced advice, just empathy \:D/
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

It is strange after all that time to be so far away for so long. It is scary, but exciting all at once. Lots of prayers and hugs for your first year of college, Arwen! :hug:
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

My experience has always been "distance from parents = Awesomeness"! \:D/
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

The Top Crusader wrote:My experience has always been "distance from parents = Awesomeness"! \:D/
AMEN, I can't wait untill I move out! Parents are good to have, they just drive you crazy.
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

The Top Crusader wrote:My experience has always been "distance from parents = Awesomeness"! \:D/
... the farthest you've lived from your parents is like... 20 minutes. :noway:

I enjoy being out of the house, but I really miss being within a safe driving distance of family members. Whether it's a birthday party for my nephews or just a cook-out, I miss the sentimental stuff like that. *sniff* It's been about a year and four months since I moved away and I still get really homesick - but not in the sense that I don't like being away from home, I just miss being around family.

I think it depends on where you move to, as well... It's not like the city we live in now is exactly family-friendly with all the shootings and junk that keeps happening. That environment doesn't exactly help my homesickness. ;)
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

King Butter Turtle wrote:
AMEN, I can't wait untill I move out! Parents are good to have, they just drive you crazy.
AGREED! I think I've moved out now... till after college.. then who knows what is going to happen... at least I have a year-round job now!
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

When I move, I'm going to put my parents back in their boxes and take them along with me! \:D/
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Enjoy the move, Arwen - I'm sure it will be a very good experience!

As for anecdotes, I'm afraid I don't have many as, being homeschooled, I was absolutely thrilled to be living away from home. Its difficult to get used to the change at first, but it can bring on a lot of great experiences as long as you act with a certain level of basic responsibility. ;)

My hardest change was living overseas, but that was more due to cultural differences than anything related to homesickness..
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Post by ajamj »

I missed my family and friends like crazy and had the phone bills to prove it! Embrace all the new experiences and enjoy yourself. They are just a phone call away.

Everyone should have a happy dance.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Unrelated really, but whenever I see the topic title "Moving out..." in my head I hear "Moving ON UP!" from the Jefferson's. :anxious:

And the really odd thing is I don't think I've ever watched that show.
Hope
You like me! You really like me!

Post by Hope »

yeah this year is my first year on my own as well... I moved in on thursday and so far so good. There are so many experiences Im sure every college student should do. So Im sure we will get through it. Im as well 5 hours away from my hometown
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Plus Hope's got me to show her the ropes, as we're at the same school and what not.
Lizzy
Not Implemented

Post by Lizzy »

Oh dear Jonathan, I sincerely hope you drive with her instead of making her follow you in a separate vehicle... I know from experience how scary THAT can be *shivers*
It's good to visit again... it's been a while!
Hope

Post by Hope »

we only have one vehicle up here which is his... and so the 5 hour drives should be interesting.. each way we can fit 10 episodes of AIO except this first time going home I forgot the tape adapter but I dont have a car up here
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

I definitely agree. To bad I have to wait 4 more years. ](*,)
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

AM wrote:
I definitely agree. To bad I have to wait 4 more years. ](*,)
ditto
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
amyinodyssey
Found

Post by amyinodyssey »

I remember when I first moved away from my parents. I was attending school in Michigan while my parents were in Colorado. I only had the opportunity to visit my parents once a month. I had to ask one of my room mates to drive me to the airport in order for me to get home. My first night away from my parents I was fine until I went to bed. I was crying my eyes out. I was fine after I started reading my Bible.

During my sophomore year in college I had to have my gall bladder removed and my mom was nice enough to help me during my recuperation period. It wasn't until she left me in my dorm room alone again that I again cried my eyes out. It was still hard to get around because I could barely walk a block and because I had a terrible pain in my stomach. I had to hold a pillow to my stomach. I had wished that my mom could have been there to help me.

As much as I can agree that time away from parents is a good thing let's not forget about the prodigal son.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Lizzy wrote:Oh dear Jonathan, I sincerely hope you drive with her instead of making her follow you in a separate vehicle... I know from experience how scary THAT can be *shivers*
*chuckles* Run one red light, and you pay for it forever ;)