The Compass - A short fantasy film

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Ferder
Pilgrim

The Compass - A short fantasy film

Post by Ferder »

The Compass
Youtube HD- 3:00

This is my end of term project at Capilano University Film School.
It's a modern-day fairy tale shot in glorious HD so please view it that way in youtube if your connection can handle it.
Last edited by Ferder on Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

:shock:

Don't you know that the Golden Compass is the evilest book in the who wide world??!!!

:anxious:

Looks interesting, I'll have to watch it sometime soon when I have time. \:D/
...I hate marquees.
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

That was actually really, really cool. Good job to all involved. \:D/
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
Hannahjiejie
Animatronic

Post by Hannahjiejie »

Very nice! I was intrigued.

Hmmm, did the film really need two people for costumes, though?
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

Zuzu Bailey wrote:
Hmmm, did the film really need two people for costumes, though?
I needed a red coat so I went to the university's costuming class at lunch one day. There happened to be two people there so I told them about the project and they both went off to find the costume I needed.
So for the most part there was just one person involved (the one I corresponded with before and after the shoot), but since she had someone help her track down the costume I figured it wouldn't hurt to make sure that I thanked everyone involved in the show and include both names in the credits.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I liked it! :D

Was the red hooded coat supposed to parallel anything?
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

J-man wrote::shock:

Don't you know that the Golden Compass is the evilest book in the who wide world??!!!
lol, I like it.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

SivartA wrote: Was the red hooded coat supposed to parallel anything?
The movie was supposed to remind one of a certain fairy tale. I think you can figure out which one.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

That was great! Well done. :D
Ferder wrote:
The movie was supposed to remind one of a certain fairy tale. I think you can figure out which one.
Ummm... Indiana Jones? O:)
Robo
A great mapmaker

Post by Robo »

I liked it. I FAVed it. :D
Ferder wrote:
Peter and the Wolf? \:D/

-Robo
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

*cough*[size=0]Little Red Riding Hood[/size]Quote this to find out!*cough*
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Nice work, Ferder! I finally viewed your film today after not checking this thread right away because I thought it was about The Golden Compass.
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

Taq wrote:Nice work, Ferder! I finally viewed your film today after not checking this thread right away because I thought it was about The Golden Compass.
Thanks.
I anticipated something like that happening so I put a sub-title with the original post saying that it wasn't about the Golden Compass but a couple of people kept getting off-topic so I removed it.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I finally got to watch it (on dial-up it was taking forever!) and you did a great job, Ferder. :D It was obviously well planned and beautifully done. Thanks for sharing this with us!
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Boy, that wolf/monster/thing's hand was creepy. :anxious: Well done! \:D/
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Say, about that hand/claw, did the videographer hold it? Or did another crewmember hold it?
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

The first shot of the hand had an actor wearing it who was going to play the wolf-man (but he ended up looking too cheesy in make-up so we just shot the hands) but I'm wearing the hand in the second shot (where she sees it and runs)
I got the hands (gloves, actually) from a shop that sells special fx supplies for film and tv. I also bought a wig. I cut the hair from the wig and hand-glued the hair to the hand. It was really tricky and very sticky. I have a new respect for the make-up crew in films like Lord of the Rings where hairy hobbit feat had to be made every morning.

and Catspaw, I hope you found the button for selecting the non HD version of the movie. It wouldn't have looked very sharp but the wait would have been much less.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Finally got around to watching it a few days ago, it was really good. \:D/
...I hate marquees.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Ferder wrote:The first shot of the hand had an actor wearing it who was going to play the wolf-man (but he ended up looking too cheesy in make-up so we just shot the hands) but I'm wearing the hand in the second shot (where she sees it and runs)
I got the hands (gloves, actually) from a shop that sells special fx supplies for film and tv. I also bought a wig. I cut the hair from the wig and hand-glued the hair to the hand. It was really tricky and very sticky. I have a new respect for the make-up crew in films like Lord of the Rings where hairy hobbit feat had to be made every morning.

and Catspaw, I hope you found the button for selecting the non HD version of the movie. It wouldn't have looked very sharp but the wait would have been much less.
I forgot to comment on how great and creepy the hand looked, so I'm glad that somebody else did! Thanks for explaining the effort that went into the hand.

I knew that I would have high speed access at school soon, so I waited to watch it there and then comment so I could watch it in HD without waiting (literally) years. ;) Thanks, though! I appreciate the tip - I'm sure I'll need to do that at some point in the future.