The Tragedy

of Macbeth

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

The Tragedy

Post by KODY 105 »

Fair is foul, and foul is fair.
What is your opinion of Shakespeare's classic tragedy Macbeth?

How are the three apparitions in Act IV, scene I related to their warnings?
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

I was going to warn you to not say it, but really it's pointless now...
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

As a drama lover, Macbeth is a classic for me. I absolutly love it.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I'm more a Hamlet man myself.

Mel Gibson! :inlove:
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

The Top Crusader wrote:Mel Gibson! :inlove:
That is disturbing... unless you mean his works! ;)
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Well, yes... for some reason I find him hilarious even when he is in a serious role. Especially something like Hamlet, lol.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

In high school a teacher showed us part of the Mel Gibson version of Hamlet...it was quite interesting! I remember some funny moments and some weird ones.

I studied Macbeth back in grade eleven, so my memories are vague, and my teacher was kind of weird, but I recall enjoying reading the play! It wouldn't qualify as my favourite Shakespeare play, but it has some interesting moments, and plenty of discussion-worthy themes!

Do you have an assignment connected to the question you asked in the thread, KODY? That sounds like a potentially school-related query.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Catspaw wrote:Do you have an assignment connected to the question you asked in the thread, KODY? That sounds like a potentially school-related query.
Well, I usually try to incorporate schoolwork into my ToO activities because school should be very important and is what ends up on a transcript. My most recent chapter in literature was about Macbeth specifically, and one of the essay questions was about the relationship between the characteristics of the apparitions and their warnings to Macbeth. I realized when I was rereading the play for this thread that I got all mixed up on that essay and am anxiously awaiting the grade on the test... :anxious: Observe? ;)

All responses cannot help me in a bad way, nor in a good way. That test is past. So feel free to answer to your heart's content!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I was just curious because it sounded so much like the kind of question that would be asked in school. I read Macbeth too long ago to make any intelligent comments on the question, so I wasn't avoiding an answer because I was afraid you would use it for nefarious purposes. ;) Thanks for sharing - I hope you did well on the assignment you're waiting to get back. :D
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Poor King Duncan. :(
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

I think that says it all. \:D/
KING BUTTER TURTLE IS MY TWIN!
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

:hilarious:

That is funny.
Shakespeare wrote:Lady Macbeth: All the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand. O, O, O!
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I know I read it at some point, and I know I saw it in college. But it's hard to remember it in great detail. I do know I enjoyed that the predictions seemed impossible when stated, yet were perfectly explained when they came true.
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

Something really interesting is that theatre people are really superstitious, if you didn't know (break a leg, stuff like that). Not that people really believe that, but it's just part of the theatre culture and traditions. So one interesting thing is that when a theatre group is putting on "Macbeth" it's extremely bad luck - pretty much a death sentence for the show's run if anyone calls it "Macbeth" out loud. So instead, they refer to it as "The Scottish Play" as long as they're rehearsing or performing the play. Pretty funny, I think.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Macbeth, Macbeth, Macbeth.

:thud:
BrokenButBeautiful
Certified Theatre Geek
Certified Theatre Geek

Post by BrokenButBeautiful »

KODY 105 wrote:Macbeth, Macbeth, Macbeth.

:thud:
It only counts if their in the theatre in rehersal when it's said.

I'm in theatre and my theatre teacher has mentioned that superstition a few times.

<3<3<3
BBB
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jugglah wrote:Something really interesting is that theatre people are really superstitious, if you didn't know (break a leg, stuff like that). Not that people really believe that, but it's just part of the theatre culture and traditions. So one interesting thing is that when a theatre group is putting on "Macbeth" it's extremely bad luck - pretty much a death sentence for the show's run if anyone calls it "Macbeth" out loud. So instead, they refer to it as "The Scottish Play" as long as they're rehearsing or performing the play. Pretty funny, I think.
I saw that on a TV show once where some of the characters were performing "Macbeth," and it took me a while to figure out why some of the characters kept calling it "The Scottish Play" instead of "Macbeth." :lol:
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Well, I did know about it, but I am not superstitious. God did not give a spirit of fear, but of power and love and a sound mind.

I just realized that I never responded to Catspaw's post. Yes, it was a question that required an essay response on the chapter (well, part B of the chapter-- part A was other authors from the same time period) test.

:duel: <-- Macbeth and Macduff

:devil: <-- Lady Macbeth. Talk about Jezebel Junior!
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

KODY 105 wrote:Well, I did know about it, but I am not superstitious. God did not give a spirit of fear, but of power and love and a sound mind.

I just realized that I never responded to Catspaw's post. Yes, it was a question that required an essay response on the chapter (well, part B of the chapter-- part A was other authors from the same time period) test.

:duel: <-- Macbeth and Macduff

:devil: <-- Lady Macbeth. Talk about Jezebel Junior!
The really disturbing thing here is that Lady Macbeth has a gotee. Creepy! :anxious:
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Well, the witches did!