Twilight: Love Story or Occultic Horror Flick?

Discuss the books that have taken even second-grade girls by storm

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Felicity Blackgaard wrote:
Laurie wrote:
I'm not arguing with you.
I wasn't trying to start an argument... just agreeing with you, deary.
That's a relief!! I honestly do not want to argue with anyone.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Felicity Blackgaard
I'm not Gabe

Post by Felicity Blackgaard »

Laurie: It's ok! *HUG OFFER*
princess_pearl412
Not as new

Post by princess_pearl412 »

I think God wants us to be a light in the dark and reading the Twilight books and watching the movies aren't going to help us be one.

Philippians 4:8 (NIV)
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Just think..... Is it Noble? Right? Pure? Lovely? Admirable? Excellent or Praiseworthy? Do you see happiness and joy when you look at the cover of Twilight? I sure don't!
~Princess_Pearl412~
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

All you have to do is look at the cover and you can tell that there's going to be major emo qualities. The first one is a black background with two chalk-white hands holding an apple, which of course, definitely makes me think the book is full of love.

And on Harry Potter, I finished the whole series in three weeks. It took me that long to read Twilight because I was trying to find the plot. I never did find it, though. The problem with Twilight is that all the action is at the end, and by that point, you're pretty much ready to say, "That's it--I'm never reading these books again."
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Y'know that the hands holding the apple is used to parallel the "forbidden fruit"? All the book covers have meaning, which is kind of cool. :-k
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
TigerintheShadows

True, but they still come across to me as dark and emo.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I didn't say they weren't. Not too many authors specify if the covers have meaning or not, so. *shrugs* Speaking of covers, the one for the reprint of New Moon (for the movie) is Jacob holding Bella with a CREEPY EDWARD FACE AND EYES TRANSLUSCENT IN THE BACKGROUND! :shock: In other words, it's lame.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
TigerintheShadows

Is there really a cliche in those books that Meyer didn't use? No, not really, and she BUTCHERED all vampire and werewolf lore on the side--if you're going to write a wart on the face of all literature, at least do it ACCURATELY. Is there ONE redeeming quality about Bella-the-amazing-Sue? No, because she's a Sue, and it's rare that you find any redeeming qualities from Sues; she's also EXTREMELY manipulative, a quality that every character has a habit of possessing. Is there one part of those books that hasn't been morally messed up? No, except for characters risking their lives to save each other; however, one moral quality against about a dozen immoral ones doesn't really make much of a difference--sort of like the one high-standard Christian in the middle of a group of potheads.

On a different note, does anyone know someone who went to the midnight New Moon screening? I have three friends who checked out at about 1:30 PM from school to see it. Do not ask me why; I fail to see the logic in it, period.
AIO tumblr sideblog
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

9 friends of mine went to see it; they loved it, and I can't wait to see it! no, I'm not a crazy fangirl, but I do like movies and this one looks really good.

Till the end of the line.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Eh. One of my friends did.

Though I will admit I am curious to see the new movie. :-k The friend that went is an addict, but she didn't really mind it... Besides. *fangirl scream* WHO DOESN'T WANT TO SEE TAYLOR LAUTNER WITH HIS SHIRT OFF? :incnt: :inlove: :inlove:

*coughs* And that was complete sarcasm for those wondering about my mental status. My friends and I are considering going so we can laugh the whole way through and annoy everyone else in the theatre. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
TigerintheShadows

I just want to see it so that when Edward or Jacob comes onto the screen for the first time, I can holler either "BRING OUT THE STAKE!" or "SOMEBODY GRAB THE SILVER!" and then watch the Twilight fangirls attack me with their hardcover copies of "New Moon."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

:hilarious:

Oh. My. Gosh. Mind if I use that when I go? :lol:
Love you always, SnC
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I'd do that too, but then I would have to actually see the movie. X_X
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

eh...I don't think I entirely understand both the phrases being yelled, so I can't join in Termite's hearty laughter.

Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Traditionally, you can kill a vampire by driving a stake through their heart, and to kill a werewolf you have to shoot them with a silver bullet. :yes:
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Shennifer wrote:eh...I don't think I entirely understand both the phrases being yelled, so I can't join in Termite's hearty laughter.
Hearty laughter doesn't cover it. More like hysterical shrieking/laughing in enjoyment. :-
Love you always, SnC
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Termite wrote:
Shennifer wrote:eh...I don't think I entirely understand both the phrases being yelled, so I can't join in Termite's hearty laughter.
Hearty laughter doesn't cover it. More like hysterical shrieking/laughing in enjoyment. :-
I'd go more for the whole smirking/laughing evilly thing, personally.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

haha you guys are awesome :yes:

Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Who said that Anti-Twilighters don't know how to have a good time? \:D/
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

And Ima gonna shriek and cry in pain when Edward takes his shirt off. I was unlucky enough to see him without it... *shudders* He's thinner than I am and I think even I have more muscle. :sick:
Love you always, SnC