Recommendation request - books for grades 6-8

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

The Top Crusader wrote:Robert Liparulo has a series of young adult books that I haven't read but his regular adult books are awesome so I presume his one for younger people are.
They are very good, but I was a bit surprised at the amount of violence/scary images they had considering they're marketed as children's books. Also, they're probably described as fantasy. (There's no magic or anything per se, but the plot is definitely fantastical, if you wanna take the literal meaning of fantasy.)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

ric wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:Robert Liparulo has a series of young adult books that I haven't read but his regular adult books are awesome so I presume his one for younger people are.
They are very good, but I was a bit surprised at the amount of violence/scary images they had considering they're marketed as children's books. Also, they're probably described as fantasy. (There's no magic or anything per se, but the plot is definitely fantastical, if you wanna take the literal meaning of fantasy.)
Yeah, I looked those up and read a few reviews and decided that they didn't fit with what I'm looking for at this time. Thanks for the additional info, ric. :)
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Someone mentioned Hunger Games, and they are excellent books, but I think grades 6-8 might be a little young. :anxious: Maybe grade eight and up.

I recommend Chasing Vermeer by Blue Baliett and the two books that follow it; they're interesting, intriguing, and even somewhat educational. I also recommend anything written by Margaret Peterson Haddix--she was a favorite of mine when I was that age, and most of her books are futuristic/adventure stories. The Shadow Children series is especially good, as I remember.