Novacom Thoughts

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Novacom Thoughts

Post by Marvin D. »

So I've been listening to the Novacom saga, and I just thought of a few things--for the extent of the Novabox, doesn't it seem a little strange that it's original test was only done in a little town barely anyone had heard about? I mean, that kind of technology would go everywhere immediately. Also, when all the dirt on Novacom was revealed, including how they planned to control the human race, the people's reactions seemed very. ."okay, so what?" to me, especially during/after Tom's trial.

Plus, isn't it amazing how fast Connie can type when she's talking online? \:D/
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Those are things I never thought of. :-k About the instant messaging thing. Am I the only one who thought it was weird that Connie could hear Mitch's voice while she was chatting with him? Is that normal? Here's something else that never made sense to me.

Why did AREM show Cal and Alex the security cameras in Whits End? What was their purpose?

\:D/
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

With the whole IM thing, I thought the only reason we could hear AREMs voice was so the listeners could follow what was going on.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Just as a guess, I'd assume that the security cameras were to find out about the Imagination Station, or at least as much as Novacom could. Mitch had to buy them to keep himself in Novacom's good graces and then told someone about them through AREM so that he could keep his cover and still let them know what was going on.

I think the reason why Novacom tested the Novabox in a small town was precisely for that reason--no one had ever heard of it. To test something that could go wrong in a big city like Los Angeles or NYC would draw too much attention; they needed a place that, indeed, nobody had ever heard of in order to test the Novabox in a way that wouldn't be too obtrusive.

The "enslave the human race" thing, though--that was definitely not taken lightly by the Odyssians. Didn't you hear the collective gasping and alarmed whispering in the courtroom when Mitch said that the Novaboxes were to be used for "mind control"? And how could anyone possibly forget the fact that the townspeople had a riot and were planning to hold a bonfire to destroy the Novaboxes once they knew what was going on?

Doesn't surprise me how fast Connie can type. I've probably typed that fast before when I was about eleven. She also might have been using chatspeak.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

@Tiger--the news would have spread far and fast, because if it was that big, it would have been all over the news.

True, but, for me, it didn't seem a big enough of a reaction. It came of for me more as, "My kid is dumb now, DESTROY NOVACOM!" That was the same way Tom thought of it, and that's how I took it as well.

So she went, "Da kids came in2 da store w/news about. ."? =P Few people can type as fast as they talk, especially at her rate. Also, I couldn't help but think of it as a video chat, because as soon as she sent in the message, AREM/Mitch would respond, not taking any time to read it. If it weren't for the keyboard sound effects, I wouldn't even believe she were typing.

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I can type as fast as I talk :anxious:
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

I said few :noway: And if you talk as fast as me. . :anxious:
Jesus' Princess wrote:With the whole IM thing, I thought the only reason we could hear AREMs voice was so the listeners could follow what was going on.
Then his voice wouldn't be disguised :p

Also! In the episode Connie finds out Mitch was really alive, we have the other side of the episode with Mandy, Cal, and Alex. When they leave to go tell Mr. Whittaker about the Novabox, Connie's still in Maine. But when they arrive, at the start of the next episode, Connie's back. I never really understood why that happened.
Last edited by Marvin D. on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Ginny Weasley wrote:Just as a guess, I'd assume that the security cameras were to find out about the Imagination Station, or at least as much as Novacom could. Mitch had to buy them to keep himself in Novacom's good graces and then told someone about them through AREM so that he could keep his cover and still let them know what was going on.
But the security camera he showed them was one that Mary had put in. :anxious: How does that figure in?

\:D/
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Lee wrote:
Ginny Weasley wrote:Just as a guess, I'd assume that the security cameras were to find out about the Imagination Station, or at least as much as Novacom could. Mitch had to buy them to keep himself in Novacom's good graces and then told someone about them through AREM so that he could keep his cover and still let them know what was going on.
But the security camera he showed them was one that Mary had put in. :anxious: How does that figure in?
Maybe Mitch bought them and told Mary to put them in--I mean, Mary's Story Shop was owned by Andromeda. :shrugs: I don't know; I haven't listened to the episode itself in a while.
Peeta wrote:Tiger--the news would have spread far and fast, because if it was that big, it would have been all over the news.
It could have been that it was easier for Novacom to establish roots in a small town where there isn't a whole lot of big-name business for competition.
Peeta wrote:True, but, for me, it didn't seem a big enough of a reaction. It came of for me more as, "My kid is dumb now, DESTROY NOVACOM!" That was the same way Tom thought of it, and that's how I took it as well.
I think that attitude comes across that way because you just take it at face value; I think that when you get to the root of why the man was saying that, it's because of the whole "reversed process makes you worse off" thing. And let's be honest, who wouldn't feel something similar if it was their loved one in that situation? It would have been a legitimate motive for Tom to blow up a radio tower; why wouldn't it be a legitimate motive for a riot?
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

Did anyone else notice in the episode 'The Grand Opening', when Whit is talking to Mitch about the security cameras, and he's like:

"Yes, yes it is. Have you seen one like it before?"

..*Mitch replies*..

"Yes, yes it is. Have you seen one like it before?"

It's odd how he used exactly the same sentence twice. I guess they edited in something later, using that line. :shrugs: