"Two Friends and A Truck" Commentary

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Nathan Hoobler
AIO Writer

"Two Friends and A Truck" Commentary

Post by Nathan Hoobler »

All,

Ask and you shall receive. Here is my audio commentary for "Two Friends and a Truck." Hope you enjoy listening to me talking for 25 mintues. :-)

Nathan

http://www.aiohq.com/TruckCommentary.mp3
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

Nathan Hoobler wrote:All,

Ask and you shall receive. Here is my audio commentary for "Two Friends and a Truck." Hope you enjoy listening to me talking for 25 mintues. :-)

Nathan

YAY! \:D/

I shall listen to it soon...

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Nathan Hoobler wrote:All,

Nathan

Haha, awesome. Thanks! \:D/
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

*is listening now*

Dude, we need more of these \:D/ Thanks Nathan
Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Post by Trinarius »

I'm listening to it now too! It's so cool hearing behind the scenes info! \:D/ Hehe, you sound a lot older than you look, Nathan. ;)
-Josh

Trinarius is back. Kind of.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

That was great, Nathan! Thank you so much!
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

That is great! I have only gotten half way finished though. :sad:

Thanks for the time you put into it!
Last edited by AIOfan11 on Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Broadcast
Not as new

Post by Broadcast »

Nathan,

The commentary was quite a treat to listen to and I look forward to more in the future.

In a way, I find it simmilar to when the director of a movie discusses the movie in the "Behind the Scenes" part of the DVD; and I mean in the sense that they point out what the listener themselves have missed. Some people say that when a writer has to explain what he's written to the audience, then he didn't do a very good job. I disagree completely. The viewing audience don't all have the same levels of insight, and when the writer explains the angle the show was going for, it somehow fleshes out the show and makes it all the more interesting.

If I could, I'd go through the show and quote and respond to everything you said, however, it would be a painful process (too bad it didn't come with a text version). However, I appreciate what you said when talking about what you enjoy working with within an episode; and where the so many multiple layers of inspiration came from. You mentioned a preference working with the older and classic characters. It seems the show has returned to centering on these characters much more than it recently did. I've been a little confused on the intention of this. Is Odyssey producing these types of shows again on purpose? Or is the team suddenly feeling inspired? (In otherwords, Do you guys first say; "Let's make a show with Connie and Eugene"...or do you say "I have an story idea; let's use Connie or Eugene")

Overall, I found the whole thing fascinating. When I was young I found the behind-the-scenes in making a show much more complex and complicate; which made me admire you writers all the more. In recent years, I think that admiration has slowly faded--but hearing the step-by-step explication of how an episode came to be truly regenerated that feel, and truly shows our inferiority as fans.
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

That was awesome, Nathan, thank you! 25 minutes of pure insight to what goes on behind the scenes. My favorite story was about the AIO fan mechanic guy you ended up calling for info about cars.

I hope you do another commentary sometime!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Latest fanfiction: Parting Words.
Nathan Hoobler
AIO Writer

Post by Nathan Hoobler »

All,

Thanks for all the comments. As I mentioned at the end of the commentary, it was very fun to do and I'd love to do more. Any suggestions on another episode to do?
Broadcast wrote:You mentioned a preference working with the older and classic characters. It seems the show has returned to centering on these characters much more than it recently did. I've been a little confused on the intention of this. Is Odyssey producing these types of shows again on purpose? Or is the team suddenly feeling inspired? (In otherwords, Do you guys first say; "Let's make a show with Connie and Eugene"...or do you say "I have an story idea; let's use Connie or Eugene")
The pendulum swings back and forth on the show...it always does. There are periods where we use the "classic" characters more and periods where we need to develop new characters. Right now, we're trying to use the "classics" as much as possible while also developing some new story arcs, many of which have already begun.

As far as which comes first -- character or story -- that depends. Some shows (like "Two Friends and a Truck") come from the characters. Marshal gave me the assignment: "Write a Eugene and Bernard show." Other shows (like "Stars in Our Eyes") come from ideas. On that one, Marshal wanted to do a show about heroes. The specific characters came later. (Marshal did the outline for that show, by the way.)
Broadcast wrote:Overall, I found the whole thing fascinating. When I was young I found the behind-the-scenes in making a show much more complex and complicate; which made me admire you writers all the more. In recent years, I think that admiration has slowly faded--but hearing the step-by-step explication of how an episode came to be truly regenerated that feel, and truly shows our inferiority as fans.
Goodness! I didn't intend the commentary to show the inferiority of fans. As has been said many time before, fans are our lifeline! Plus, some fans end up working on the show! O:)

Nathan
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

Thank you so much Nathan! \:D/

And if you were to do another one The Champ of the Camp would be one I would love to here.
I like this snubs fellow.
General nuisance extraordinaire.
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

Cool, thanks. I'll listen to it as soon as I get a chance. (Which, of course, may not be until summer...)
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I just listened to the commentary and enjoyed it very much! I loved hearing about the different versions of lines and why some things are done the way they are, and the video commentary idea. ;) I kind of wish I had been able to hear the scene with Eugene and Connie - the "where's the fun in that?" one that Nathan Hoobler mentioned was not included in the ep. It sounded delightully Connie and Eugene-like! \:D/

If you ever have the time and inclination to do more of these, I would love to hear them, Nathan! And you have a wonderful voice - you actually kind of reminded me of Paul McCusker, but slightly less scary (as in, you've never played Philip Glossman). ;)
Carrie Ingalls
An original

Post by Carrie Ingalls »

Bmuntz wrote:Thank you so much Nathan! \:D/

And if you were to do another one The Champ of the Camp would be one I would love to here.
Oh yes! It would be really cool to hear more about that show! I really liked that one.

I really enjoyed the commentary. Thanks so much for doing that.

~OrigamiKid
In the darkness, my thugs silently protect the girls from sketchy Bostonians
Thirteen is a prime number. I hate prime numbers. ~Trent DeWhite
OrigamiKid= Is seen working with square pieces of imported paper. ~Sarai
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

Nathan Hoobler wrote:Any suggestions on another episode to do?
It's going back a ways, but I'd like to hear about "Pink Is Not My Color", because I love that episode. I'm really curious how it developed. The story stands alone so well, but also weaves seamlessly into the Connie/Mitch storyline.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Latest fanfiction: Parting Words.
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Post by NatetheGreat »

Downloading it now! \:D/ Can't wait to listen to it! I'll post a review after I'm finished listening.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

*downloads* I'll let you know what I think when I'm done.. :)

EDIT: That was great! \:D/ It's interesting to hear about it from a writers perspective.
...I hate marquees.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

I loved it. I have to say it was different hearing a commentary on an audio show. I know this would take some time, but what would be fun is if you had like a character commentary and I think the best show for this would be is "Dobson Comes to Town". I know that's already been released as a bonus feature but if you had a commentary done by connie and Eugene that would be funny.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

My three favorites that you've written (out of those that aren't in some sort of saga or anything) have been, "Silver Lining", "The Taming of Two", "The Pact", "The Triangle" and "Two Friends and A Truck".

Now that one of them is done, I'd be interested in any of the others. "The Pact" would be long, I fear, same goes with "The Triangle, ...Silver Lining would be interesting, however, it doesn't contain enough main characters. In conclusion, personally, I'd enjoy hearing "The Taming of Two" the most as a commentary show.

The BC
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Woah! That was awesome! You should definitely do this again! I learned so much about making AIO, and about this episode. I don't really care which episode you do next, just do another one! :D
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.