My fate is in your hands!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

What should I do with my new laptop?

Poll ended at Mon May 13, 2013 11:36 am

Keep Windows 8 on it and get used to it!
60%
Install Windows 7 and use that instead!
40%

Total votes: 25

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

My fate is in your hands!

Post by bookworm »

I got a new laptop yesterday and of course it came with Windows 8. You may recall that a few months ago I expressed my intentions to never use that operating system, so my plan was to turn it on, mess around with it for about three minutes to see what it’s like, and then promptly wipe the drive and install Windows 7 instead. You may also recall that I mentioned I don’t particularly favor that operating system either, in fact I haven’t used it extensively yet, so this would still be a new and uncomfortable experience, but it would surely be better than figuring out the newer option. I decided it was time to finally acclimate to Windows 7 since the days of being able to avoid it are all but over. However, as I stumbled around the Windows 8 interface trying to figure things out, I had a thought that even though I personally would never use this myself, I may eventually have no choice in the event it becomes more widespread with time, necessitating at least a basic understanding of navigation in the line of my career or something like that. So I thought maybe I should at least make an effort to try it out for a while.

Then, for some reason, I got the crazy idea to let you guys decide what I do.
This secret poll will run for one week and one day and when the results are revealed we will all find out together which fate you chose and I may or may not comply with the winning option!

So what will it be?
Force myself to go against my better judgment and learn to use Windows 8?
Or force myself to go against my personal preference and get more familiar with Widows 7?
You decide! Choose wisely.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1
It’s my birthday

Post by Marvin D. »

bookworm wrote: You may also recall that I mentioned I don’t particularly favor that operating system either, in fact I haven’t used it extensively yet, so this would still be a new and uncomfortable experience, but it would surely be better than figuring out the newer option.
. .run-on sentence screaming to be corrected :anxious:

I say go with Windows 8 \:D/ Get used to what's probably going to stick around.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Meh, run-ons are the only grammar rule I don't care about. (Well, I suppose that and overuse of commas.)
Marvin D. wrote:Get used to what's probably going to stick around.
I am yet to be of the mind that it is probable to stick around. ;)
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1
It’s my birthday

Post by Marvin D. »

. .how can you NOT care about run-ons?! :mad: They're some of the most annoying things ever! That, and the improper use of the subjunctive. And modal verbs. And. .yeah.

Well, who knows? I seriously doubt they would downgrade back to the previous style, or bring back the Start button and stop using the Metro display =P
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Marvin D. wrote: I seriously doubt they would downgrade back to the previous style, or bring back the Start button and stop using the Metro display =P
Actually, the Start button will be back (reportedly) in the next version of 8.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Windows 8.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I would try Windows 8, and just work with it until the poll is over, at least, just to see if you can work with it. I've never used it personally, but I know it is drastically different. If you can work with it, great! Not to say that after that you should definitely keep it, but it would be good to get at least a basic understanding.

Windows 7 is actually pretty good. I've been on XP all my life until a few months ago when I got my Windows 7 laptop. I found it surprisingly easy to adapt to. :)

And what kind of laptop did you get? Just curious. :p
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

My philosophy: Use Windows 7 until they stop making drivers for that OS too, just like they screwed XP. It will take you the EXACT same amount of time to get used to Windows 8 now and a couple years from now when they stop supporting 7. 7 is much better than 8, but XP was so much better than 7.
Last edited by Whitty Whit on Sun May 05, 2013 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

Windows 8 is fairly easy to work with. I don't have it personally, but my brother does. The basic stuff, like navigation, is simple.
I wouldn't know about anything more than that, unfortunately.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Woody wrote:And what kind of laptop did you get? Just curious. :p
HP Pavilion G6-2235us
Wooton Z. Bassett
OK

Post by Wooton Z. Bassett »

Where's the poll option that says "Return the computer and get a mac."
I'm on the Soda Shop and Campbell County Message Boards.

Check out unofficialaioblog.blogspot.com/

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Why would there be an option for that when the poll is for deciding between Windows 7 and Windows 8?
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

Mac?
uh, no.
Overpriced, overpriced, overpriced, did I say overpriced?
Looks like Apple's marketing technique is working.
I don't know bookworm....I guess Wooton is a mac junkie? (no offense.)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The closest I’ve ever been to using a Mac was when I installed the Macbuntu interface on my Linux machine.
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

bookworm wrote:The closest I’ve ever been to using a Mac was when I installed the Macbuntu interface on my Linux machine.
eh, I've used 'em in the Apple store. Our family owns 4 desktops (I think there's one more not currently in use, and "my" old one that got the blue screen of death) and 3 laptops. Not one of them is a Mac. I don't think my dad is a strictly PC person. (might be) Macs are just too expensive to even be worth it. My dad's in the computer biz, so I don't think the Mac is really what he needs...
Macbuntu? A mix between Mac and Ubuntu?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Joy wrote:Macbuntu? A mix between Mac and Ubuntu?
Actually it’s fully Ubuntu, it just manipulates the windows and things to make it look and act like a Mac. It’s just for looks really. It’s kind of fun, it does the neat magic lamp animation when you minimize stuff.
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

Neat. We have strictly Windows, but Ubuntu looks interesting.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I don’t use it much, just to mess around with now and then. It’s a good introduction to Linux, I went into it with no previous experience at all.
Woody

Post by Woody »

bookworm wrote:
Woody wrote:And what kind of laptop did you get? Just curious. :p
HP Pavilion G6-2235us
Hey, that looks pretty nice! *loves Google*

What kind of a processor does it have/how many cores?

Hard Drive Space?

RAM?
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Oh, you wanted the specs and everything. :P
AMD A6-4400M 2-core processor
4GB RAM
750GB hard drive