Earthquakes

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Earthquakes

Post by DanP740 »

Have you ever been in an earthquake?
I haven't. I live in New York.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

We had one once, but I slept through it. :-(
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

There aren't many earthquakes where I live. ;)

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Tyrell
No way I broke the window

Post by Tyrell »

I think we've had some small ones but that's it.
~S~
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

This may be surprising to y'all, but yes, there's been an earthquake here in Virginia! \:D/

It was the wierdest thing - I was sitting in my room reading, and the house shook. My mom yelled upstairs to see if someone was bumping on the floor really hard. That night we found out it was an earthquake. \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
kellyj
Fourscore and seven

Post by kellyj »

I live on Vancouver Island in Brithish Columbia which is part of the Ring of Fire. We usually have a couple of earthquakes every year but they are pretty small. Maybe only a earthquake every two years that you can actually feel.
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

I've been in a few.

I remember the quake of '89 in CA. I was 7 years old and doing homework after school when I looked outside that the tree in the front yard was moving back and forth. I woke mom up (who slept during the day because she worked nights) and she grew up in LA so very calmly told me that it was "just an earthquake". Well in CA kids in school go through earthquake drills more routinely than fire drills, so I ran into the kitchen and got under the table...........and was still there 5 hours later when mom was getting ready for work. See, us kids were taught to get under a table or desk and not to get out until an adult told us it was OK to do so........so I stayed under the table since I didn't know that it was safe after the shaking stopped (in about 30 seconds or so).
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Post by Trinarius »

Come to California for our earthquakes! \:D/

We don't really get any threatening earthquakes where I live in the state, however. O:)
-Josh

Trinarius is back. Kind of.
map
Found

Post by map »

I've felt three or four. None have been that big. Just enough for everything to shake and move and know that you just experienced an earthquake.
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

gimp80995 wrote:I've been in a few.

I remember the quake of '89 in CA. I was 7 years old and doing homework after school when I looked outside that the tree in the front yard was moving back and forth. I woke mom up (who slept during the day because she worked nights) and she grew up in LA so very calmly told me that it was "just an earthquake". Well in CA kids in school go through earthquake drills more routinely than fire drills, so I ran into the kitchen and got under the table...........and was still there 5 hours later when mom was getting ready for work. See, us kids were taught to get under a table or desk and not to get out until an adult told us it was OK to do so........so I stayed under the table since I didn't know that it was safe after the shaking stopped (in about 30 seconds or so).
Aaah! I remember than quake. :sad: I was so young, and it was so scary! :mecry: I'm just glad that we don't get very many around here anymore. I've felt a few small ones since then, but most I didn't know about until this one particularly paranoid mom at our church tells us about them. (She must be extremely sensitive or something, cause she's always telling us about these tremors and they only live like 10 blocks down from us...weird. :-k )
TeXico_Blondie
Gold Member

Post by TeXico_Blondie »

COWBOY OF TEXAS wrote:There aren't many earthquakes where I live. ;)

-Cowboy
yeah, what he said :D TX is a good place to live :D

there was an earthquake in New Mexico when I was there but it was so small we couldn't feel it although we were pretty close...
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

I was a baby when the quake of '89 happened... My mom remembers sitting in the rocking chair, watching the coverage on TV and being horrified by the people being crushed in their cars on the highway/bridge thing. :-( But I don't remember it at all.
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

TeXico_Blondie wrote:
COWBOY OF TEXAS wrote:There aren't many earthquakes where I live. ;)

-Cowboy
yeah, what he said :D TX is a good place to live :D

there was an earthquake in New Mexico when I was there but it was so small we couldn't feel it although we were pretty close...
We do get a few every once and a while though. Just not as bad as California.

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Post by ajamj »

gimp80995 wrote:I've been in a few.

That was a bad one! I was living in Idaho at the time and we felt it there a little bit there.
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

Living where about 5 or so plates come together makes you pretty use to earthquakes. It's not unusual to have a few earthquakes every week. In fact 20% of all earthquakes around the world happen in my area. :P The biggest one so far was about a richter scale 6. I haven't been in any 'major' one.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Yep and I prefer them to tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, and all kinds of other disasters that I've never experienced! \:D/
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

Never. I've lived through several tornados, though. \:D/
Hawk
Brings Love and Joy

Post by Hawk »

There was one at my house, in september I think. It's epicenter was in a place just over the TN\NC line. I heard on the news that they felt it in Gorgia. It was a 4.7. I was in my bed at 11:30, when my cologne fell off my dresser. I didn't think that was a good sign. It lasted about ten seconds, then slowly stopped. I have a bedroom alone downstairs in my house, and I went upstairs to see what everybody else was doing. When I got to the hall, my two brothers and my dad where talking so fast!
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

We get little earthquakes here all the time. No big deal. When I was little, we used to have them in the middle of the night big enough that we had to get under a doorway or a table or something. But nothing huge.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

Because of this topic, this thread is going to locked, and all further conversation can be continued in the other thread. :)