Post your favorite president

another fun thread

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Clodius Albinus
Smile for the camera

Post by Clodius Albinus »

Sherlock Holmes wrote:
Clodius Albinus wrote:... the man who perhaps singlehandedly soured de Tocqueville on American politicians. (Though Jackson's fellow Tennessean and frequent antagonist David Crockett didn't do much to enhance the reputation of American officeholders, either.)
And here I thought deTocqueville was rather upbeat in his conclusions.
He was, but about the genius of the American political system and the ingenuity of her people, not the statesmanship of her politicians. Indeed, one of his central observations was that the founders' most brilliant stroke was to create a system that could thrive even amidst the blundering, corruption, and incompetence of politicians -- and especially frontier politicians.
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

Ronald Reagan, for sure!

However, my favorite piece of president trivia would have to be the fact that Andrew Jackson accidentally invented the phrase "OK", because when he would check papers or bills or whatever (being the country hick that he was), he would write OK as an abbreviation for "Oll Korrect", meaning, of course, "All Correct".
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Without a doubt, Ronald Reagan. Lincoln was great, some of our founders were great, and some great ones were scatters throughout. But Reagan was so amazing,
"We cannot diminish the value of one category of human life — the unborn — without diminishing the value of all human life." - Reagan
- that is so true.
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

I'm surprised I haven't heard JFK or Roosevelt (F, not T.) on here yet...
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

Theodore Roosevelt!! He's the man but hes so overlooked... Well, hes my 2nd favorite. Abe's the bestest.
I do what I do.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

You guys are all picking serious presidents. Don't you appreciate a president that puts a mechanical bull in the whitehouse, walks around with a racoon on his shoulder, responds to some one telling him that she bet a man that she could get more than two words out of him with "you loose", or pushing the call button and hiding from the whitehouse aids? My kind of president is the kind who is waken up in the middle of the night to find out that he's president, get's sworn in and goes back to bed.
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

Post by Over the Rainbow »

Kait wrote:
SweetiePaw wrote:Ronald Reagan..and George Washinton..I don't like Lincoln because he was for the north in the civil war :shame: :noway: :noway:
:-s Uhm? So you'd rather our country have been separated into two smaller, warring nations, which in all probability means that Britain would have come back to strike against each, and take them back over again, which means that we would now be under the rule of Britain? \:D/
(yay for run-on sentences)
*ahem*

Hillary Clinton is my favourite president \:D/
Darn Yankee! :x
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Taft was awesome... he couldn't fit in the White House bathtub! \:D/
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

Post by Over the Rainbow »

TC wrote:Taft was awesome... he couldn't fit in the White House bathtub! \:D/
Yep, and he always referred to himself as a "large party". He was the largest president ever, weighing over 300 pounds. The smallest and shortest president ever was James Madison, our fourth president, who weighed as much as me, 100 pounds.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Abraham Lincoln and George Washington
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

George Washington, John Quincy Adams, Ronald Reagan off the top of my head.
Perron
Tallying up

Post by Perron »

George Washington and Abraham Lincoln are a couple of my favorites. :) And Theodore Roosevelt.
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

Sarah Palin! \:D/
;)

OK, ok, presidents who have already served: Theodore Roosevelt, Ronald Reagan, Grover Cleveland, and Abraham Lincoln.
Oh, and Calvin Coolidge was cool too.
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Kairi wrote:Sarah Palin! and Calvin Coolidge was cool too.
ditto
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
mdetective12
I'm memorable

Post by mdetective12 »

Abraham Lincoln, FDR, TR and lots more!
~AC~
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Larry the Yodeling Monkey! He was 1st president of the Society for Primate-Performed Arts. Hey, you never said what type of presidents!

Besides him... Abraham Lincoln a.k.a. Siv.
amyinodyssey
Found

Post by amyinodyssey »

My Family visited Mt. Rushmore a few years ago and there was something there that allowed you to vote for your favorite American President of all time. I voted for Calvin Coolidge.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Here's a name no one has mentioned yet: Harry S Truman. Yes, his middle name is simply "S". His parents tried to appease both his grandfathers by using their initial of "Saul" and (some-other-s-name). I appreciate his presidency because he allowed the USAF to drop the nuclear bombs that ended World War 2. If he hadn't done that, like so many people today wish he did, then World War 2 would have killed many, many more people than it did. Huzzah for President Truman!
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

KODY 105 wrote:Here's a name no one has mentioned yet: Harry S Truman. Yes, his middle name is simply "S". His parents tried to appease both his grandfathers by using their initial of "Saul" and (some-other-s-name). I appreciate his presidency because he allowed the USAF to drop the nuclear bombs that ended World War 2. If he hadn't done that, like so many people today wish he did, then World War 2 would have killed many, many more people than it did. Huzzah for President Truman!
I don't know about you but dropping nukes and killing thousands of men, women, and children (albeit for the cause of "greater good") does not exactly appeal to me as my favourite President.
Donna Blackbeard
Wasting money here
Wasting money here

Post by Donna Blackbeard »

John Adams!

Only 'cause his wife is an Abigail. One of my siblings names!