Obama picked his vice...

what to you all think?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Obama picked his vice...

Post by Ruthie »

Ladies and Gentlemen, Obama's official pick for vice president......

Senator Joe Biden.

Thoughts?
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Anyone but Hillary is good with me \:D/

:p
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

How cool is it that that was posted on the ToO two full hours before it broke in as breaking news on NBC? \:D/
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

That is pretty cool.

As for Joe Biden as VP, he never crossed my mind as being a potential pick, though now that it's happened I can't honestly say I'm surprised. He's one of the more liberal men in congress, if memory serves.
Clodius Albinus
Smile for the camera

Post by Clodius Albinus »

It's a pick almost certainly driven by expediency, not personal preference, and politically, it's a gamble, but in the most important sense, it's a good one: Biden passes the governing test.

That Obama chose someone who had been sharply critical of his lack of experience and foreign policy naivete demonstrates that he has been shaken by recent polls showing McCain pulling even, or even moving ahead of him, in key states. By transparently trying to shore up his foreign policy credentials, however, Obama draws attention to the fact that even he recognizes that he's weak in that area. Moreover, he's sending the interesting message, inasmuch as the guy on the Democratic ticket with the foreign policy bona fides voted to authorize the war -- a vote he has not repudiated -- and opposes strict timetables for withdrawal.

Biden is a conventional liberal on most issues, but -- and here's the wildcard -- highly respected by many Republicans, as well as Democrats, for his mastery of foreign policy. In an era where there are few standouts in the Senate, Biden has fashioned himself into as close as the Senate has to an expert on the subject, and has shown himself capable of very thoughtful, dispassionate analysis. When that analysis leads to conclusions his party doesn't like, he has never shown qualms about saying so. I have a lot of respect for Sen. Biden, and for his years of service on the Foreign Relations committee. (Far less so for his work on the Judiciary Committee.)

Picking Biden is, as I said, a gamble, and thus, a sign of concern within the Obama ranks. This is not the sort of pick you make if you're comfortably ahead, as it's hard to gauge the reaction: will people credit Obama with picking an independent-minded foreign policy expert, or will this simply highlight the disparity between the first and second person on the ticket? Will Biden's notorious gaffes come back to haunt the campaign? What of his '88 plagiarism scandal? And, although the response narrative is not hard to write, the campaign can't be looking forward to being confronted with all those Biden quotes from early in the primaries about how Obama has naive views on foreign policy and isn't ready to lead.

Still, for his tendency to stick his foot in his mouth, and some intemperate comments along the way, Biden is a fundamentally decent man. If we get stuck with Obama, I, for one, will be glad to know that Biden is there, too.

I received the much vaunted announcement text message shortly after 3 AM. Because, after all, it's three a.m. and your children are asleep -- but Biden, at least, is ready to lead.
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I'm just waiting for people to start calling them "Obama bin Biden". :(

I've come to expect Biden over the last few days, though.

And I've been told that Romney is the likely GOP pick... which I'm sort of lukewarm about. I like him but I'm not sure if he'll bring many more people to vote for the ticket, or if his Mormonism will drive them away. But I'll be there Friday to find out! \:D/
Sweetie
Found

Post by Sweetie »

At least it's not Hillary. =D>
Now it's too late for you and your white horse to come around....
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

When he debates with Sarah Palin, he's never going to know what hit him. You know, even despite the fact that she could run rings around him when it comes to political rhetoric, she has an advantage just because she's a woman and he's a man. He'll have to step carefully or it'll look a lot like he's bullying her.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

He should've picked a woman. Not that I think that, but Biden is so boring and women aren't going to say, "Oh! Look! An old guy who can't speak! I'm voting for him!!!" He would be better off picking Matt Damon, IMO. But I don't care, Palin is better that all of them. :assault:
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

Jugglah wrote:When he debates with Sarah Palin, he's never going to know what hit him. You know, even despite the fact that she could run rings around him when it comes to political rhetoric, she has an advantage just because she's a woman and he's a man. He'll have to step carefully or it'll look a lot like he's bullying her.
Actually, from what I've heard (which could be wrong!), Biden is pretty good in debates.... I doubt it'll be that easy for Palin to "run rings around him." I wouldn't cut him out this early.
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
Clodius Albinus
Smile for the camera

Post by Clodius Albinus »

Biden is among the most thoughtful and intelligent of the Senators. Now, you may consider that akin to saying that someone is among the most impoverished of Gulfstream owners, but still...
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

I wasn't trying to be serious, I was trying to be optimistic. There are things to respect about Biden. I can't think of any right now, but there must be some. I know nothing will be easy in this election, but I don't know that we should be pronouncing doom before anything actually happens.