Princess Diaries

Books vs. Movies

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Princess Diaries

Post by Sarah »

Which one did you think was better, the Princess Diaries books, or movies?

I personally liked the first movie, and all of the books. I didn't exactly enjoy the second movie as much, mostly because it didn't really go along with the books.

So, what are YOUR opinions?

Sarah
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I really enjoyed both movies, but I only read the first book. I was quite unimpressed with the book that I read. I thought the content of the movie was better. The characters seemed nicer inthe movies. The moral values in the movies, while not always stellar, were better than those in the books. I read the book a few years ago, so I can't remember everything, but I do remember not liking it nearly as much as the movie.
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Post by Eugene Blackgaard »

Are these books based off movies or movies based off books?
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I've seen the two movies, but I haven't read the books. I liked the movies, though.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Eugene Blackgaard wrote:Are these books based off movies or movies based off books?
My understanding is that the first movie is based on the first book, but the second movie isn't based on the books. There are more than two books - I don't know how many.
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

Catspaw wrote:I really enjoyed both movies, but I only read the first book. I was quite unimpressed with the book that I read. I thought the content of the movie was better. The characters seemed nicer inthe movies. The moral values in the movies, while not always stellar, were better than those in the books. I read the book a few years ago, so I can't remember everything, but I do remember not liking it nearly as much as the movie.
Yes, I do have to agree with you there. I was actually kind of appalled with the moral values of the book. But I personally thought the book had a better story-line. :)

Sarah
Hope
You like me! You really like me!
You like me! You really like me!

Post by Hope »

I thought that the movies jumped a lot of what was in the books, but the books were giving more information. And as I remember the books said that her dad was still alive. But yet in the movie her dad had died. Out of the two I like the books more even though I have both movies. :D
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I haven't seen the movies but I did read a section of one of the books... my preteen niece was reading it. I can't believe that's considered good reading for impressionable young ones! ](*,) Sorry about the rant but it's so frustrating to watch my niece addicted to Brittney Spears, Hillary Duff, and stuff like that when I'd love to get her listening to AIO instead. She's heard a few shows but doesn't seem very interested. Why is all the marketing to young girls focused on making themselves look good and attracting boys? Gah! It's not like they're getting married anytime soon. #-o
End of rant.
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Chandler wrote:I haven't seen the movies but I did read a section of one of the books... my preteen niece was reading it. I can't believe that's considered good reading for impressionable young ones!
I like ranting...and was also quite surprised at the book's...shall we say "frankness" about different adolescent issues and such. Not appropriate for young girls. The movies were okay...the first one had toooooooo much kissing and was went a little overboard for its "G" rating. The second movie was pretty clean...funny in spots...but like most "family" films nowadays, it was lame-o.

(might I also note that this new board's selection of emoticons is...shall we say...unusual and somewhat overwhelming.)
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Evil Chick wrote:I've seen the two movies, but I haven't read the books. I liked the movies, though.
Same here! But, I thought that the movie was very good! There were bad parts in both though.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

haven't read the books as advised by my youth pastors wife. granted this is seconhand info, but according to her the books were quite appaling and the language was a little colorful as well. So i'm glad to stick with the films.
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...
Location: An uncharted Island, thought to exist only in myth.

Post by Larry The Pickle »

I haven't seen them, but I half want to watch the first one. :anxious:
Evolution is a faith, not a science!
beka8910
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by beka8910 »

I only read the first book and thought it was great. I also liked both movies.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I haven't read the books, but I love the movie! :D
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

This topic is almost 4 1/2 years old...so I am locking it. Please start a new topic if you wish to discuss the Princess Diaries! :D

Usually, if the topic is off the first few pages of a forum, you should not post or "bump" it up to the top. :)

* Moderator note from the future: Times have changed and topic bumping is now encouraged to keep discussion all in one place, I am unlocking the thread to allow further posting if anyone is ever interested.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.