Superhero Movies Discussion!

Discuss Batman 3, Thor, Captain America and more!

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Superhero Movies Discussion!

Post by American Eagle »

Wow, this is crazy. \:D/ 2005-2009 had the superhero successes of Batman Begins, Fantastic Four and its sequel, several X-Men films, Superman Returns, Spider-Man 3, Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Hancock, The Dark Knight and others. Now, Hollywood is taking things way further. Here are some of the upcoming films:
    The First Avenger: Captain America (July 22, 2011) - Nothing much is known about this, except Chris Evans as Captain America and Joe Johnston (Jumanji, Jurassic Park III) is directing.

Thor (May 6, 2011) - The Mighty Thor, a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. Thor is cast down to Earth and forced to live among humans as punishment. Once here, Thor learns what it takes to be a true hero when the most dangerous villain of his world sends the darkest forces of Asgard to invade Earth.

Green Lantern (June 17, 2011) - A test pilot named Hal Jordan is granted a green power ring that bestows him with otherworldly powers, as well as membership into an intergalactic police force called the Green Lantern Corps, tasked with keeping peace within the universe.

The Man of Steel (2012?) - This is a reboot of the Superman series. Christopher Nolan (Batman Begins/The Dark Knight) is considered the "godfather" of this new series, but he probably won't be directing. The only story info: “[The] story involves Luthor and Brainiac. It is NOT an origin and assumes audiences already know about Lois, Clark, Jimmy and Perry. I know the Daily Planet is struggling due to the internet. And I know it sets up a huge Kryptonian mythology."

The Avengers (May 4, 2012) - This should be the best! Will feature Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), War Machine (Don Cheadle), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Loki (Tom Hiddleston), Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson), Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), Captain America (Chris Evans), and possibly the Hulk (Edward Norton).

Spider-Man (July 3, 2012) - They're redoing the whole series with Logan Lerman playing a younger Spider-Man. Production will start later this year, with Marc Webb directing it in 3D. (View more specific discussion.)

Batman 3 (2013?) - This needs no introduction. The director has confirmed it, and I'm guessing will be released around 2012-2013.
    Self explanatory; likely coming in 2013!

Other reported ones are Venom, The Flash, Wonder Woman (yuck :sick:), Flash Gordan, Teen Titans, Silver Surfer, Aquaman, Nick Fury, Ant-Man, and the three X-Men Origins: Wolverine spin-offs; Deadpool, Magneto and Gambit. There are others, too, but I'll stop here for now. \:D/
What do you think? \:D/ Are you anticipating any of these? I might put up a poll later, but discuss for now. ;)
Last edited by American Eagle on Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Awesomest topic ever! \:D/

I'd probably mark the beginning of the comic book themed movie rush as 2000 with X-men, though... although definitely things went into overdrive since 2005. But from 2000 on you had the first two X-men movies, first two Spider-man, Hulk, Daredevil, Elektra, Punisher, etc.

I'm most excited about the Marvel Studio films... I always loved most of the films based on Marvel properties (X-men, Spider-man), but those were all produced by different studios just leasing the characters (Fox and Sony, respectively)... but with Marvel Studios launching in 2008 with Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, I think they really set a new standard for comic-based films, and I just can't enjoy the ones by other studios as much anymore... Wolverine was cool and all but Fox can't get stuff done as well as Marvel themselves. ;)

So I'm really excited about Iron Man 2 as it is coming out in just over a month... from there its a bit of a wait but Thor and Captain America are the next summer... I've never been the biggest Thor fan of all time... he was always cool to have around in the Avengers but I was never to into him on his own... but I said the same thing about Iron Man, and that movie totally changed my image of him in that regard... so I'm sure Thor will be good.

Captain America is one of my top three favorite comic book characters of all time, and while there HAVE been some movies over the years, they have all been pretty bad... and the last one was 20 years ago, so we're due. ;) My other two favorites, Hulk and Punisher, have had multiple films and a successful tv series between them, so yeah... Cap is the only one left out. I'm really excited that the first film is going to all be set in World War II (other than bookends to the film, I've heard)... of course, it could end up being a bad movie, but man, Saving Private Ryan with a super hero thrown in? ;) Pretty awesome stuff! \:D/ Well, potentially. ;) I am hoping they re-enact the first comic cover of Captain America but I assume they will be a little less silly than that. :(

Avengers, then, the summer after that... I'm trying to not even think about that because there are three films in the middle to bridge the gap... but obviously that'll just be nuts. \:D/
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru

Post by Lord Sesshoumaru »

Truth be told I'm wonder if Chris Evans can pull off Steve Rogers. Kinda stupid choice for Cap IMO. I say this because this makes sure that the only 2 ways the can do a fantastic 4 cross over is

1. That guy can do an Eddy Murphy and play tons of roles in one movie
2. they recast the Fantastic 4.

Now I'm not a big fan of the Fantastic 4 but still why shut the door when you could get someone else and keep it open, no matter how unlikely it is that their will be a cross over.

I'm looking forward to Thor, that I am
Officer David Harley
Classic

Post by Officer David Harley »

I'm a Marvel fan, I've seen all of the x-men movies and they were good, I've also seen the third spider man and parts of the fantastic four movie. I don't really know about the other movies although I'm guessing the x-men origin movies will be good(I still have to see wolverine :- ) I am iffy about the DC comic movies(Justice league)... who's ant-man? (Sorry I rant in my brain and I wrote what I was thinking)

Officer David Harley
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Lord Sesshoumaru wrote:Truth be told I'm wonder if Chris Evans can pull off Steve Rogers. Kinda stupid choice for Cap IMO. I say this because this makes sure that the only 2 ways the can do a fantastic 4 cross over is

1. That guy can do an Eddy Murphy and play tons of roles in one movie
2. they recast the Fantastic 4.

Now I'm not a big fan of the Fantastic 4 but still why shut the door when you could get someone else and keep it open, no matter how unlikely it is that their will be a cross over.

I'm looking forward to Thor, that I am
Well, it is basically impossible for that to happen anyway, since Fox owns all film rights to the Fantastic Four (and X-men), so there is no legal way it could happen until those rights revert back to Marvel, and basically that isn't going to happen until all the cast is too old to come back, anyway.

Besides, Avengers and FF in one film? Just way too many characters. Avengers alone will be a struggle to pull off.

ODH: Ant-Man is a scientist dude who can grow really big or shrink really tiny! \:D/ I am sort of doubting a film just about him will get off the ground, but if so, I suppose it'll be cool. He is most often just a random Avengers member, not really a dude out on his own, so we'll see.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Two new photos! I'm not sure if they're official or fan-made, but they're pretty cool! \:D/

Last edited by American Eagle on Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

You've even got me interested now. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I just see red X's. :(

Anyway, its been all but confirmed that there will be another cool post-credits sequence with Iron Man 2... so yay! \:D/
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The Top Crusader wrote:I just see red X's. :(
Fixed?

Awesome! \:D/

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

YAY! Neat shiny pictures! \:D/

Anyone planning on seeing Iron Man 2 in theaters? I know this board doesn't have a huge theater crowd. >_>

I haven't been to the theater since last May (for Wolverine, lol), but I definitely plan on seeing Iron Man 2... probably the only movie I'll see in theaters (excluding the lovely local Dollar Theater) until next summer's Thor. \:D/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I don't see a lot of movies in theatres, but I do go sometimes, and my brother's birthday is in May, so we'll probably go see Iron Man 2 together around his birthday, unless it gets awful reviews. We're relying on you to steer us in the right direction, Top! \:D/ I did enjoy the first movie, though a few little things bothered me. I'm hoping that the sequel exceeds my expectations!
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Definitely planning on seeing the second Iron Man. :yes:
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Saw Iron Man 2 tonight... pretty good! \:D/ I'd say its every bit as good as the first--although it didn't completely blow me away as being a billion times better than the first. IMO though the first one was awesome enough that "more of the same" isn't a bad thing.

Be sure to stay after the credits. :shame:
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Since I don't plan to watch in theaters, I looked up the post-credit ending. Cool. \:D/

LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Out of all the superhero movies I've seen in this latest wave, I've been most impressed with Iron Man and the two Batman films. Thus, those are the ones that you can count on my seeing. The others ... well, maybe I'll end up seeing some of them if friends or family members convince me to do so, but, not being a big comic book fan, I won't know what I'm missing. \:D/

That said, I would like to see the X-Men movies at some point.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

you've seen the first one, Liz, but you're quite right! you need to see those movies they are amazing!!!

and I liked the spider man, Iron Man and Batman and X-men movies; but the Captain America one looks interesting just because I think Chris Evans is cute :inlove:
and I'm interested to see how the new spidey will turn out :yes:

Till the end of the line.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Captain America Official Artwork (4 Photos)!
First Official Photo of Thor!
I'm moreso looking forward to Captain America, but I have to admit, the Thor photo looks slightly cooler. :-k

Galaxy X
The Legend
The Legend

Post by Galaxy X »

Those look awesome!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Yeah, I'll be glad to see the actual costume on Evans intead of just artist renditions.

-- 02 Jun 2010 03:42 pm --

Yeah, I'll be glad to see the actual costume on Evans intead of just artist renditions.
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

you can also add iron man 3 to that list for 2013 and i've heard there's a nick fury movie coming out too, not sure of the date yet though, It's going to be a great next couple of years for movies
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime