Presidential Candidates 2012!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

Who do you think will challenge President Obama in 2012?

Newt Gingrich
3%
Sarah Palin
11%
Bobby Jindal
3%
Mitt Romney
3%
Herman Cain
1%
Hillary Clinton
5%
Zombie Reagan
3%
Jared Walczak
3%
Glenn Beck
7%
Robert Downey Jr.
2%
Zombie Nixon
3%
Stryper's Pants
5%
Jim Jordan
1%
The Top Crusader
14%
One of the fat guys I saw swimming in the resevoir the other day
4%
One of the Indian women I saw taking trash out of my dumpster this morning and loading it in a van
3%
Eugene Kendall
5%
Ron Paul
9%
Mike Huckabee
8%
Other
8%

Total votes: 116

TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

American Eagle wrote:
Batman wrote:
American Eagle wrote:I couldn't vote for a woman, honestly, unless there were absolutely no men capable.
....why? o_O;

Also, I think Eugene Kendall will more than likely be over in afghanistan in 2012 :/ not being in the US would surely hinder his chances of getting the nomination. :( Robert Downey Jr. is a good substitute tough. \:D/
Hmm. Ever heard of the roles of men and women? There's a reason why God set up male kings, and chose male disciples, elders and bishops. Woman are the help-meet of a man, and shouldn't lead other men unless there is no man to lead (case in point, Deborah).
Actually, I think that's more of a nod to the roles of women in the church, and there's a difference between church and government. It seems to me like you're almost implying that it's sinful for women to be in leadership roles, AE--probably not what you intended, but that's what it's coming across as to me.

If I could vote, it wouldn't be based on gender or race, however--it would be who would do best at the job.

I'm honestly not sure how I stand on the political roles, though I agree in general to what you're saying. :-k I'm hoping a huge flame war doesn't break out though.. :-[/quote]
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

I think American Eagle was saying that typically he thinks it is best for men to be in the leadership position and women to be helpers, but obviously, if you feel God leading you to lead, do it!

Am I correct, American Eagle?

(And I think this is a little off topic.)
Last edited by The Kings Daughter on Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

That's close, TKD. I'm not worried about men being in leadership "because they are better at it", though. I care only about what God wants. Why did He chose Moses to lead the Israelites, and then Joshua? Why did he choose Saul, David and Jonathan to be the first Kings? Why were generally all the prophets, judges, kings and other leaders in the Old Testament (and in the New) men? Was it because there are more men than women? No, it's not. I think God has a reason behind who He chooses for things.

That's not in any way to say men are better than women. We just have different roles. \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

American Eagle wrote:That's close, TKD. I'm not worried about men being in leadership "because they are better at it", though. I care only about what God wants. Why did He chose Moses to lead the Israelites, and then Joshua? Why did he choose Saul, David and Jonathan to be the first Kings? Why were generally all the prophets, judges, kings and other leaders in the Old Testament (and in the New) men? Was it because there are more men than women? No, it's not. I think God has a reason behind who He chooses for things.

That's not in any way to say men are better than women. We just have different roles. \:D/
What about Esther?
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I even understand what you are saying, AE. But if women are to be the backbone, the family, as I'm understanding... we wouldn't have a whole lot of nurses... which I want to be. My mother is one, my grandmother was one. And I wholeheartedly believe God wants me to be a nurse. So does that mean I'm wrong if God wants a man in my position? Then what is "politically" correct for a woman? If everything came straight from the Bible for everyone (which isn't going to happen in this sinful world), then women would be breast-feeding babies, knitting, and cleaning the home.
Urgh... so, I think there has to be a line somewhere that says God can put whom he wants in high positions or any job position. He's God. If he wanted Hillary Clinton as president, or must I say it, Sarah Palin, he'll do what he wants. (The whole voting thing... I think we discussed this way back when Obama won. God knows the options, and we have the choice) (Not that I'm saying I want either of them in that position...)

Each individual has a calling from God, whether they take it or leave it. Sandra Day O'Connor is on the Supreme Court and Nancy Pelosi is the House Speaker. Those are influential and high ranking spots, are they not?

God does what he wants. As the world gets older, we get wiser/stupider (no kidding...), the world changes. We aren't back in the day when donkey's were ridden by priests. Things are changing.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Anna><> wrote:
American Eagle wrote:That's close, TKD. I'm not worried about men being in leadership "because they are better at it", though. I care only about what God wants. Why did He chose Moses to lead the Israelites, and then Joshua? Why did he choose Saul, David and Jonathan to be the first Kings? Why were generally all the prophets, judges, kings and other leaders in the Old Testament (and in the New) men? Was it because there are more men than women? No, it's not. I think God has a reason behind who He chooses for things.

What about Esther?
She was chosen by God to do something important, married the king, and convinced him to create a law giving Jews the chance to defend themselves. I'm not sure how she lead anybody. ;)

Danielle, I'm not in any way saying you shouldn't be a nurse. There aren't any Bible verses that outlaw women working outside the home, and my mom has needed to do that at times. There is a time and season for most everything.

However, I disagree with "times are changing". God never changes, and therefore, the principles of His Word never change. "For I am the LORD, I change not" (Malachi 3:6). Some things apply to only specific times (like many Old Testament traditions), but the other things God establishes shouldn't be "updated" to suit a world that is run by Satan.

Herod was king, and slaughtered every male baby in the land. Pharaoh did likewise. God allowed them to be king for a time, and obviously, that's not what God would have liked. He may also allow Hillary Clinton to be President, but that doesn't mean He likes it. ;) You make a good point about God being in control, though. God will work all things together for good.

If I wasn't a mod, I'd be worried about getting a topic split. Huzzah for off-topic discussion. \:D/

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

American Eagle wrote:Why were generally all the prophets, judges, kings and other leaders in the Old Testament (and in the New) men?
I like how you said "generally" specifically in reference to prophets/judges because where were a FEW women in both of those roles (Anna, Deborah). As for why kings were/are "generally" men...probably for the same reason queens were/are "generally" women.

Anyway, back on topic: I don't really "like" any of the options for candidates, though I like Sarah Palin, I think given the vicious way she was treated as the vice-presidental candidate (also funny because it media constantly compared HER vs Obama) I don't think she'd get through this time. Who knows! Maybe a virtual unknown will come up. Obama was a virtual unknown, no experience, but a great speech reader, and look where he got!

I think it's about time there was a woman as president. A black man got to vote before women did too :p
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Maybe we really do need a women vs. men topic. :-k

But just as God allows women in leadership roles even though He might not like it, He might like a woman in a leadership position. This is one of those cases of taking the Bible just a little too literally--and I'm Southern Baptist!
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I really do want to like Sarah Palin. I actually agree with at least most of what I hear her say... but I just get the impression that she Googles conservative talking points and recites them... she just has canned answers that while I agree with them, whenever she is pressed on things she has no idea what to say.

Plus, while it shouldn't matter to me if her actual views are good, I just can't stand the stupid MOMMA GRIZZLY HOCKEY MOM PITBULL WITH LIPSTICK schtick. It's just dumb. Obviously it appeals to a segment of people because she does have a lot of support, but if she dropped that I think she'd get a few people off her back.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

I think a lot of it is just what God calls you to.

Obviously God decided that he wanted Deborah to step up to a leadership role instead of being a stay-at-home wife.
We don't need to determine whether or not God just did that because there were 'no good men available'. We would never know even if we tried to determine that.

Esther and Mary, on the other hand, God did call to be 'stay at home wives'. And God used them in amazing ways.

God through Esther saved the Jews.
God through Mary brought Jesus Christ into the world.

I think it's a matter of what God leads you to do, although there are some things God has said in the Bible that women may not do.
Last edited by The Kings Daughter on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

The King s Daughter wrote: I think it's a matter of what God leads you to do, although there are some things God has said in the Bible that women may not do.
And what may women not do? Be a doctor? Be president? Help achieve world peace? Care for the sick or go out into missions work? Sing? Biblical reference please.

And I'm with Jennifer Doyla... generally...
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Be a man, be a husband, be a father. ;)

The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:Biblical reference please.
Sure, sorry about that.

As far as women pastors:
1 Timothy 2:12-14(NASB) wrote: 12But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet.

13For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve.

14And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression."
and related to the above:
Genisis 3:16(NASB) wrote: To the woman He said..."Yet your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you."
And the requirements for a church elder is directed at men:
Titus 1:5-9 wrote:5The reason I left you in Crete was that you might straighten out what was left unfinished and appoint elders in every town, as I directed you. 6An elder must be blameless, the husband of but one wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient. 7Since an overseer is entrusted with God's work, he must be blameless—not overbearing, not quick-tempered, not given to drunkenness, not violent, not pursuing dishonest gain. 8Rather he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined. 9He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it.

Yet this does not make little a women's job, because all men and women are equal. We just play different roles.

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Further posts that aren't about the topic will be deleted... go have your sexist-related discussions elsewhere. \:D/
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

So Top, now that you've seen the results of the poll, who is your campaign manger?

Or maybe I don't want to know... :-k

Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

I vote for Hulk Hogan as public-relations manager! \:D/
Last edited by Fang-wa on Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I voted for Jared, Stryper's Pants, and ek for a new 3-man presidential co-op! \:D/
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Glenn Beck, Top, & Eugene!! \:D/
*insert provocative quote here*
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

The Top Crusader wrote:I think Paul has given up
Ron Paul FTW! \:D/
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Stryper's Pants for president, running with Jared Walczak as VP. FTW.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.