Castles and Couldrons

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Shadowfax

Castles and Couldrons

Post by Shadowfax »

Wasn't that episode wierd? Jimme's cousin was the voice of Richard Maxwell, right? \:D/
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Yep, Len Barclay was voiced by Nathan Carlson. :)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Yep, Len Barclay was voiced by Nathan Carlson. :)
Cool!

And I really enjoyed Castles and Couldrons! \:D/
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

"Castles and Cauldrons" is an enjoyable episode, but a little creepy. Definitely one I don't listen to much.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Yeah, the episode is alittel creepy, and I'M NEVER LISTENING TO IT AGAIN!!!!! Its freaky to me. I... I get scared. It's like "The Battle". Scary episodes!!!! But the last time I listened t it, I guess it wasn't that bad. I don't remember much though. It's been about 3 years, give or take, since I last listened.

And a little scary that Nathan Carlson plays Len.... he needs to get out more...
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

Marisol Delko Caine wrote:Yeah, the episode is alittel creepy, and I'M NEVER LISTENING TO IT AGAIN!!!!! Its freaky to me. I... I get scared. It's like "The Battle". Scary episodes!!!! But the last time I listened t it, I guess it wasn't that bad. I don't remember much though. It's been about 3 years, give or take, since I last listened.

And a little scary that Nathan Carlson plays Len.... he needs to get out more...
You don't like "the battle" from album 5?????
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

Yes, I remember getting freaked out while listening to Castles and Cauldrons when I was little...I still don't enjoy listening to those particular episodes. :anxious:
Prince Caspian
ÇİΛ
ÇİΛ

Post by Prince Caspian »

Dave wrote:"Castles and Cauldrons" is an enjoyable episode, but a little creepy. Definitely one I don't listen to much.
Yeah... Creepy.
In the darkness, Ryan and Angel brighten up the ToO with Duck Juice flavored Linux as the mandatory os.
Vote for Ryan and Angel '08!
actinglove299
Sing in the sunshine

Post by actinglove299 »

I love this episode... I like, listen to it over and over again. Its creepy, but it def. shows the power of those kinds of games.
Sonshinegirl
Shining for the Son
Shining for the Son

Post by Sonshinegirl »

Yeah I agree...It was a very cool episode but not one I would listen to as often as others.
Epic
Undercover
Undercover

Post by Epic »

Yeah i was pretty scary to listen to. The creeoyest ones are:

Castles and Couldrons
Case of the Secret Room parts 1&2
The Mysterious Stranger parts 1&2
and I couple others I can't remember
ObiWan Kenobi Girl
Why so serious?
Why so serious?

Post by ObiWan Kenobi Girl »

actinglove299 wrote:I love this episode... I like, listen to it over and over again. Its creepy, but it def. shows the power of those kinds of games.

I love that one!! i listen to it over and over, too. i never got scared from it bcuz Dungeons and Dragons was kind of a household name at my house. not that we played it, but our friends were kind of weird with it..
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

ILoveRichardMaxwell wrote:
Marisol Delko Caine wrote:Yeah, the episode is alittel creepy, and I'M NEVER LISTENING TO IT AGAIN!!!!! Its freaky to me. I... I get scared. It's like "The Battle". Scary episodes!!!! But the last time I listened t it, I guess it wasn't that bad. I don't remember much though. It's been about 3 years, give or take, since I last listened.

You don't like "the battle" from album 5?????
It's a little scary for me. Especially when Richard Maxwell is in it. There are some episodes I just can't tolerate, and "The Battle" happens to be one of those. I'm... a frady cat at times.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

The only thing is D&D really isn't anything like how they played C&C...
ObiWan Kenobi Girl
Why so serious?
Why so serious?

Post by ObiWan Kenobi Girl »

The Top Crusader wrote:The only thing is D&D really isn't anything like how they played C&C...

I'll say!
Crazy 4 Pugs
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Crazy 4 Pugs »

Castles and Cauldrons freaked me and my brother out when we were little, so we destroyed the tape. In retrospect, I wish we hadn't, because I'd kinda like to listen to it again. Oh well, there's always the library.
Um, I guess this is where I'm supposed to say something funny or interesting.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Crazy 4 Pugs wrote:Castles and Cauldrons freaked me and my brother out when we were little, so we destroyed the tape. In retrospect, I wish we hadn't, because I'd kinda like to listen to it again. Oh well, there's always the library.
Haha. I never had a tape, but I remember cringing next to the radio when Jimmy's finger was about to be cut.
FluteBoy
Gold Member

Post by FluteBoy »

I agree with Top Crusader. Although C&C scared the heck out of me when I was about 8 (that demonic thing coming to the tent with appropriate creepy-style synthesizer music), I have also realized that it was rather silly, at least in idea. I am not a hard-core gamer by any means, but I have since played D&D many times and with a very good dungeon master (believe me, sometimes it is all that can keep you sane on a long concert tour!), and with the rise of the many computer/video RPGs, I think the "scare" about role-playing games causing you to become demon possessed is pretty much over. For those of you that don't play, D&D gamers do not "dress-up" in costumes. They do not get up and run around and fight each other with plastic swords. And they rarely seem to fit the "nerdy" type that seems to be stereotypically assumed (whatever that is). In fact, I applaud the pen and paper D&D and similar games and it was gratifying for me to see some of my younger siblings playing with friends recently. A game that actually encourages using your imagination? Learning how to use statistics, strategy and math skills? How to manage and promote team cooperation? And they are not sitting in front of the tube or playing video games. I rarely see kids just playing together anymore. I also think it is that sort of uninformed "Playing RPGs causes kids to become demon possessed!" that causes Christians to be perceived as so wonky by the world. There are plenty of evil things we can speak out against, but this is not one of them. Certainly anything that gets in the way of your relationship with God is sinful. I believe playing an RPG too much can be sinful, but simply playing on occasion for entertainment and fun is not.

Many blessings,
Zac
"The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It isn't non-denominational – it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost 2000 years ago."
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Post by ajamj »

First, I agree with most of your point, FluteBoy.
FluteBoy wrote: For those of you that don't play, D&D gamers do not "dress-up" in costumes. They do not get up and run around and fight each other with plastic swords.
I did know people in middle and highschool that dressed up and had mock weapons.
FluteBoy wrote:I also think it is that sort of uninformed "Playing RPGs causes kids to become demon possessed!" that causes Christians to be perceived as so wonky by the world. There are plenty of evil things we can speak out against, but this is not one of them. Certainly anything that gets in the way of your relationship with God is sinful.
I think the concern here are the kids that don't have a relationship with God, parents that are not guiding them, and may become obssesed with the games and that that may lead them to other, less positive pursuits.

For the record: My husband played D&D in highschool and so did my daughter.

Everyone should have a happy dance.
FluteBoy
Gold Member

Post by FluteBoy »

I did know people in middle and highschool that dressed up and had mock weapons
Are you sure they were D&D players? The D&D handbooks neither condone or advise "dress-up". I have to assume they weren't particularly clear on the rules;) I have personally never seen this happen and all gamers that I know find that sort of thing to be pretty silly and often complain about the gamer culture being perceived in that way.
I think the concern here are the kids that don't have a relationship with God, parents that are not guiding them, and may become obssesed with the games and that that may lead them to other, less positive pursuits.
I certainly agree with the "lesser drugs may lead to harder drugs" idea but that problem lies with the parents as you suggested. It doesn't make the games evil as the episode seems to suggest, any more than watching tv or playing music are evil in themselves. They can be misused obviously. I have just seen enough of the "D&D is from the devil" crowd that I often wonder if these people couldn't be doing actual good railing against something else. It has to do with ignorance on the part of the protesters and being ignorant of all the facts hardly makes a case or wins souls and that is what causes me to shake my head when I see it. That could apply to many things of course, not just RPGs.

Zac
"The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It isn't non-denominational – it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost 2000 years ago."