Star Trek?

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Trillspots
Catspaw Rocks!

Star Trek?

Post by Trillspots »

Am I the only sci-fi fanatic around here?

I love Stargate SG-1, Andromeda, etc...

But my heart will always lie with Trek! ;)

Any other Trekkies? (Other than ole' AIO PSYCHE, who introduced me to Voyager.)

-Trill
Aslan
Smile for the camera

Post by Aslan »

i'v never seen star trek

Life is worth living, so live the best life that you can
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Neither have I
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I don't care for it, but my brother is a fan.
Agentpaw
Eh, whats up doc?

Post by Agentpaw »

I LOVE Star Trek!!! My dad watched it all the time when he was a boy. I am a Trekkie!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

My brother forced me to watch the original and Next Generation quite a bit when I was much younger... I've never been one to watch it on my own ever since, though.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I love Star Trek! Voyager was my all time favorite. I loved all the characters, the story line, the Captain, I shed tears when it ended. Then I was very disappointed with Enterprise because it was all about Johnathan Archer, they didn't develop any of the other characters! And it was like one LONG show instead of shows that could stand on their own but with an underlying theme in each one. [In Voyager, the theme was getting home but every episode was about someone different.]

I have about 12 of the $9 magazines that I bought but they stopped making them since.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
toby_newsboys_pod2
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by toby_newsboys_pod2 »

star wars is a way better sci fi sersis than star trek
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Trillspots wrote:Am I the only sci-fi fanatic around here?

I love Stargate SG-1, Andromeda, etc...

But my heart will always lie with Trek! ;)

Any other Trekkies? (Other than ole' AIO PSYCHE, who introduced me to Voyager.)

-Trill
Oh yeah, Strike!! Another Stargate fan!!!! Yep, I'm excited, i can't find a whole lot it seems, even though i know it is a popular show. Can't wait till the next season. Anyways, yep, i'm a fan of Star Trek as well...I practically grew up on it, i've watched it my whole life i think.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

i am a trekie
Trillspots
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Trillspots »

LovedbyGod wrote:I love Star Trek! Voyager was my all time favorite. I loved all the characters, the story line, the Captain, I shed tears when it ended. Then I was very disappointed with Enterprise because it was all about Johnathan Archer, they didn't develop any of the other characters! And it was like one LONG show instead of shows that could stand on their own but with an underlying theme in each one. [In Voyager, the theme was getting home but every episode was about someone different.]

I have about 12 of the $9 magazines that I bought but they stopped making them since.
Yes, Voyager is one of my favorites, and I really didn't like Enterprise at all. I have about 16 of the "Star Trek: The Magazines" and I was really disappointed when they stopped making them with almost no explanation.
toby_newsboys_pod2 wrote: star wars is a way better sci fi sersis than star trek
You really can't compare the two.

1. Star Wars was a movie saga, not a television series, there are different qualities that make the two good/bad.

2. Star Trek is about exploration and the betterment of mankind in the future of earth, a very "diplomatic" show. Which sometimes goes a bit overboard with being too "politically correct." Star Wars is about a "Galaxy Far, Far, away" in the past, and is more about the warring forces in a troubled culture. While also having diplomatic undertones, frankly Star Wars is about the lightsabers. :-P (Not to say I don't like Star Wars I LOVE Star Wars.)

3. There are different series, and episodes of Star Trek which display different themes in the show. That's why it cannot easily be judged by a few episodes. (Unless carefully chosen by a devoted fan.) Whereas in Star Wars you can pretty much tell if you like it or not by watching one or two movies.

Therefore, in conclusion, the two simply cannot be compared.

Trill, who usually tries to subdue her verbose, geeky side.
Aslan
Smile for the camera

Post by Aslan »

is star trek a comdey

Life is worth living, so live the best life that you can
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

I did this on the TH but I figured it would be great to introduce here.

I love Star Trek but really only the Next Generation. I never really got into any of the others. What about you?

*thread merged*

* Post originally contained the poll "Are you a Trekkie"
Results:
Die Hard Trekkie, I go to Conventions and everything (3 votes)
I love Star Trek TNG (5 votes)
It's alright I guess, I watch it occasionally (2 votes)
I HATE all things Star Trek (no votes)
Kirk, not Picard, Original all the way (1 vote)
No no no, Star WARS brother, Star WARS (6 votes)
I really don't care (2 votes)
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Let's see, I've never gone to a convention. But I have tons of magazines, we rent the DVDs of past seasons...I have had posters, etc. I can say certain sayings in Klingon, or I used to be able to.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I hate Star Trek. Don't know why, I just do. I've seen plenty of it, because my grandpa's a total Trekkie, but I just can't stand it.

Star WARS, brother. Star WARS. ;)
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

I've seen every episode of Voyager, but I don't consider myself a trekkie. I have seen TNG, DS-9, some of the original and most of Enterprise.

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I used to like TNG fairly well back when it was new, but I haven't bothered to watch a rerun in ages... just doesn't appeal to me anymore. Never got into any of the others really, except the original a little bit.

But, yeah... Star Wars is cool. \:D/
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Post by AIO Psyche »

IMO, DS9 was the most indepth, best written, and best acted of ALL the series. It delt with politics, war, religion, everything. You could find many things in the show to apply to your life. It was a real show. The characters were possibly the best ever created in Trek history. It was most definaintly the darkest of the series, and it just felt more down to earth and real. And if you watch it now a days, with the war and everything that is happening in our society, you can really relate to DS9 more than any other Trek series.

Plus Section 31 rocks. :wink:

However, Voyager was and will always be, my favorite. I'm not sure what it was, but somethign about the series always grabbed me and pulled me in. I guess that the characters were so wonderful.

Seven was my favorite. :inlove:

TNG had alot of great epeisodes, and I do like it very much. However, it doesn't have the same attraction that DS9 or Voyager does.

The original series, to be quite honest, stinks. It is boring. Over acted. horribly written. Kirk is a jerk.

I have NEVER like TOS, and I most likely never will. I can't STAND William Shatner, and he is basicly what this series was about.

But Spock and Bones were cool. :D

And the newest and most controversial series among fans, Enterprise, holds many mixed feelings for me. On one hand, it is a Trek series, and I am sort of required to like it (as a Trekkie). The premise was VERY fascinating, and I think that if the series had been handled by the right person or persons, then it would have been one of the best Trek series of all time. But Rick Berman and Brannon Braga ruined the series, and it didn't turn into a highly addictive and extremely entertaining show until the forth and last season, when a new writing team took over the show.

The series finale was revolting, and although it was a bit cool, it wasn't about the NX-01 crew. It was about Riker and Troi.

Ok, there is my two cents. :D
WindowWasher
I've been here a bit

Post by WindowWasher »

Kirk was my childhood hero. I love TOS. Granted some of the episodes seemed silly but alot were cool. Unforunately, TOS didn't have the budget and special effects technology that the recent series had. But if it wasn't for the popularity of TOS there never would have been TNG,DS9 etc..

Kirk, Bones, Spock, Scotty, Sulu... they will always be my favorite. Paramount really ticked me off by killing Kirk. As a result I haven't bought any of the dvd's (except for ST I-VI, and TOS). I really enjoyed reading the Shatnerverse novels.
Trillspots
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Trillspots »

I LOVE Star Trek, which becomes very obvious when you go back to the origins of my screenname.

I have watched all of them, excepting Enterprise. I almost every season of every series on DVD, I have a boxful of Star Trek: The magazines, teddy bears, figurines, etc. I'm a diehard fan. Next August, you will find me in Las Vegas for the annual national Star Trek convention.

Yup, but that's really not my only hobby. Believe it or not.

-Trill