Depression

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Fenix
The Rich

Depression

Post by Fenix »

We here that this past few years more and more kids have to be on anti depressents the cause we don't know is it right should they live life like they are suppose to with out the aid i mean people having been doing it for years..... i dunno maybe i need some to calm the pain the hurt the anxiety the saddess the depression i look at myself a mess
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Fenix wrote:We here that this past few years more and more kids have to be on anti depressents the cause we don't know is it right should they live life like they are suppose to with out the aid i mean people having been doing it for years..... i dunno maybe i need some to calm the pain the hurt the anxiety the saddess the depression i look at myself a mess
Hmmm, I dunno. I think stuff like anti-depressents can have a place (don't tell Tom Cruise :anxious: )... but I think that most things can be worked through otherwise... of course it's not something I REALLY know anything about.

But I used to be extremely, extremely depressed for probably... I don't know, years or so. And I prayed about it a lot and everything, and really wished things would get better. And it never really seemed like things did, but eventually... and I don't know if it was all of a sudden or a process... I realized that I didn't feel that way anymore...

Now I am pretty much laid back and easy going about more or less everything. I just don't worry, or care too much about anything. Err... not that I don't care about anything. But I mean in a way that would be depressing. But even though at times it didn't feel like it I am sure that praying and talking to God was a big, huge help, and now looking back I can see how my trials have made me a better person.
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Post by Eugene Blackgaard »

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you, what is most likley the most meaningful post Top has ever written. ;)

I agree with Top. I honestly believe that Jesus is the answer, not anti-depressants. Cast all your cares upon him, and lay all of your burdens down at his feet.
ToO Comic - #1|#2|#3|#4|#5|#6|Filler#1|Filler#2|#7|#8|#9

In the darkness the Motherhood silently bakes cake and knits sweaters with love in every stitch.
Call me Sergeant Pepper.
Country Girl
Classic

Post by Country Girl »

Top.. that WAS an awesome post... *wipes eyes* ... okay.. not THAT touching.. but yeah ;)
And EB.. I agree :)
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Yeah, as a general rule, I say forget the meds. They are an excuese. Not that I'd know from personal experience. All IMO. Wow. Disjointed post. I'm really tired.
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

About a year ago, I was so depressed I really didn't care about anything anymore, but I never thought about meds or anything. I just read my Bible and prayed a lot, and got through it that way. It actually helped me mature a lot, and now I'm grateful that I had to go through it. God says we'll go through those hard times, but He will always be there to bring us out.
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

Medication can be very useful in cases like this, but first priority should be on God and prayer...
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
mr. mellow
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by mr. mellow »

I can get depressed for maybe like a night but then things ussaly work out the next morning.
Image [img]
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

Not all medications are just excuses. There are some people who truly need to take medications daily to handle certain mental health\health issues, and unfortunately, some people just don't take what they need to get better.
Last edited by Baragon on Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Post by Eugene Blackgaard »

Continental Admiral wrote:Not all medications are just excuses. There are some people who truly need to take medications daily to handle certain mental health\health issues, and unfortunately, some people just don't take what they need to get better.
True, I agree in full. Another side of the coin is, some people get sad because maybe they're going through a hard time, and assume they need meds when they don't. And I'm in no way referring to you, Fenix, I don't know your situation. But It's just another side to things.
Last edited by Eugene Blackgaard on Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ToO Comic - #1|#2|#3|#4|#5|#6|Filler#1|Filler#2|#7|#8|#9

In the darkness the Motherhood silently bakes cake and knits sweaters with love in every stitch.
Call me Sergeant Pepper.
pianokitty
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by pianokitty »

i had a friend that at one point had really bad depression [before i met her..so i dont know much bout this..] and it got so bad that the doctors said she should take anti-deppresants. her mom and her agreed that that just wasnt the answer and they worked on it together as a family..and it worked out and she is one of the most confident and cheerful people i know. shes awesome. :D
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Eugene Blackgaard wrote:Another side of the coin is, some people get sad because maybe they're going through a hard time, and assume they need meds when they don't.
That's what I meant to say.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

I think God can sometimes work through doctors and medicine, but not all the time. I know what it's like to be depressed, but for me it's always been a season. IMO, chronic depression is an illness. Like any illness, God may choose to heal that person instantly and miraculously, or He may use doctors. It's up to us to pray and ask God what He wants us to do.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Ah depression...something I know pretty well both from personal experience. For me I headed in partly because I hit a valley in my relationship with God..neither of us moved, but the emotional high was no longer there. I couldn't feel his presence any more. However, I stuck with it and God was faithful. Through counciling and prayer and a lot of time in God's Word, I am slowly coming up.
I do not believe that anti depressants are bad. However, they are not for everyone, nor do they cure anything. They simply "make the large bumps a little smoother" to quote my dad.
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

I think the meds have their place, but my main worry when I see people start taking anti-depressants is that they'll feel better on the meds, and not want to stop the meds for fear that they'll get depressed again. Then the meds that are suppose to be helpful turn into an addiction just the same as street drugs.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

gimp80995 wrote:I think the meds have their place, but my main worry when I see people start taking anti-depressants is that they'll feel better on the meds, and not want to stop the meds for fear that they'll get depressed again. Then the meds that are suppose to be helpful turn into an addiction just the same as street drugs.

Peace Out

-Gimp
First: Excuse the double post, but it has been 7 months.....

Second: *is in shock that she wrote an entire post without the "......" trademark she's developed over the years.

Third: We've discussed meds and what not, but how do you guys feel about counseling? Is it just a waste of money to talk to a therapist about stuff when you could write it in a journal, talk to a close friend, or pray about it?

IMO, counseling can be beneficial. You have a set time to talk to a person who isn't going to get preocupied with other things on their agenda. That one hour a week is YOUR time to talk about anything you want to talk about. However, many counselors cost $60 or more per hour. I know many people who probably need counseling don't have insurance and most definately don't have $60 a week to pay for counseling.

This is something my dad and I disagree on. He strongly believes counseling is the only way (or at least the best way) to work through problems in a person's life. I feel that if the person has the time and insurance (or cash), then fine. But if they don't have the time (ie, they'll miss work), or don't have insurance or enough cash to pay for it, then it's doubtful that breaking their budget so that they can affoard counseling is going to be helpful, it'll just give them more to need counseling for.

And while insurance may be cheap, many still don't have it. I personally don't have health insurance simply because I'd pay more to have the health insurance than I do to just pay cash in the rare times I need to go to the hospital or doctor for something (I average seeing a doctor / hospital one to three times a year, usually the bill is in the area of $200 to $300 for each visit).

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

I don't know... I remember that counseling was very helpful to me during some rough times I had as far as feeling guilty and apprehensive went, but now that my problem is more physical than emotional, I don't think it would help me much. Sometimes a good, mature, Christian friends is all you really need, and other times it's better to see a counselor. Some pastors counsel for free, so that's an option in some churches.
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Post by ajamj »

First, to go back to the older part of the thread, it has been my experience that a lot of people (doctors, teachers) think that meds are the first and best answer to problems.
I do not believe this is so. Some people need meds, some for a short time, some forever. There are a lot of biases about mental health issues. There are the people who think it is an excuse, that you should “just get over it”, etc. Then there are others who want to throw medication and counseling at everything. Each person and situation is different. Prayer and careful consideration are needed to determine what is right in a particular case. If someone needs meds there should be no shame in taking something for an illness. Just my 2 cents.
xiao
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by xiao »

First rely on prayer. Medication is helpful; yes, but not nearly as helpful as prayer. Trust me on this. I used to have depression and I still have it a little bit. Prayer takes care of it. I've never used medication.
kellyj
Fourscore and seven

Post by kellyj »

There is this lady I know that is a very good family friend of ours. She's been suffering from derpression for about 6 years. It started after a miscarriage. She's been a Christian all her life, and her husband is a teacher at a Christian Secondary School. Although she had lots of Christian infulence it was decided to put her on medication. Which has really helpt her deal with the stress of having 2 young kids at home and medical probelms. I think that while prayer is a very powerful too in some cases I think that medication can be a GREAT HELP.