Wish You Were Here/In Hot Pursuit Comparison

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Wish You Were Here/In Hot Pursuit Comparison

Post by King Butter Turtle »

So, recently I've noticed a whole bunch of similarities between Bernard and Eugene's trip to California in Wish You Were Here and Joanne and Connie's trip to Washington in In Hot Pursuit. I don't know if these were very intentional and I'm just now picking up on them or if they're newly though-of connections.
  • two very different characters take a trip together
  • they go to a coast (west in Wish You Were Here and east in In Hot Pursuit)
  • the trip is six episodes long
  • all the episode titles are connected (numbers in Wish You Were Here and colors in In Hot Pursuit)
  • the characters don't plan to take a trip together but, in a large coincidence, they happen to be headed to the same city for different reasons so, they decide to travel together
  • one character is only taking the trip to do some business; the other's motive has much larger life and character development implications
  • the album number minus one is divisible by 20 O:)
  • the first episode occurs in and around Odyssey as they decide to take their trip together
  • in the second episode they are forced to make a stop in a little town in the middle of nowhere, where they meet a child who's been having difficulty getting along with their parents/guardians and they teach the child a lesson
  • the third episode is exciting and includes a run in with the law
  • once they arrive at their destination, they find themselves in the middle of a family's issues
  • the last two episodes of the trip are a two parter occurring in the destination city and including the aforementioned family
  • immediately after the six episodes of the trip, there is a very sad two parter (or virtual two parter) that reminds us of the good 'ol days of Odyssey and discuss change; these two parters aren't actually part of the trip but occur directly after it (in Wish You Were Here it happens upon their arrival back in Odyssey; in In Hot Pursuit it happens after Joanne returns to Odyssey and Connie stays in Washington a little while longer)
  • a very big change in the series and in the lives of the involved characters occurs immediately following the trip
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

I think that Eugene and Bernard make a much better and funnier foil that Connie and Joanne, as the latter have rather similar personalities (Joanne is Connie minus the crazy). On the other hand, most people greatly dislike Connie and Mitch's relationship, so to see them finally end it was a good and much-needed closure for Connie.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Wow, that's quite the detailed list! :D I have always thought that they were purposely doing a parallel-style thing with those sets of episodes, but I never thought it through in as much detail. I have to agree that I enjoyed Eugene and Bernard's trip more, simply because of how hilarious they are together, but unlike Leonard, I like Mitch, so the ending wasn't the cause of great rejoicing for me. :( I didn't really want them to get married yet, but I miss Mitch. :sniff: But anyway, that isn't really the topic here. ;) Yes, I think the similarities between the two sets of adventures was on purpose, and they're both nice mini-arcs. :D
Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

King Butter Turtle wrote:So, recently I've noticed a whole bunch of similarities between Bernard and Eugene's trip to California in Wish You Were Here and Joanne and Connie's trip to Washington in In Hot Pursuit. I don't know if these were very intentional and I'm just now picking up on them or if they're newly though-of connections.
  • two very different characters take a trip together
  • they go to a coast (west in Wish You Were Here and east in In Hot Pursuit)
  • the trip is six episodes long
  • all the episode titles are connected (numbers in Wish You Were Here and colors in In Hot Pursuit)
  • the characters don't plan to take a trip together but, in a large coincidence, they happen to be headed to the same city for different reasons so, they decide to travel together
  • one character is only taking the trip to do some business; the other's motive has much larger life and character development implications
  • the album number minus one is divisible by 20 O:)
  • the first episode occurs in and around Odyssey as they decide to take their trip together
  • in the second episode they are forced to make a stop in a little town in the middle of nowhere, where they meet a child who's been having difficulty getting along with their parents/guardians and they teach the child a lesson
  • the third episode is exciting and includes a run in with the law
  • once they arrive at their destination, they find themselves in the middle of a family's issues
  • the last two episodes of the trip are a two parter occurring in the destination city and including the aforementioned family
  • immediately after the six episodes of the trip, there is a very sad two parter (or virtual two parter) that reminds us of the good 'ol days of Odyssey and discuss change; these two parters aren't actually part of the trip but occur directly after it (in Wish You Were Here it happens upon their arrival back in Odyssey; in In Hot Pursuit it happens after Joanne returns to Odyssey and Connie stays in Washington a little while longer)
  • a very big change in the series and in the lives of the involved characters occurs immediately following the trip
Wow, that is so perceptive of you. Didn't realize it till you brought it up!
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

Catspaw wrote:...unlike Leonard, I like Mitch, so the ending wasn't the cause of great rejoicing for me. :(
Leonard didn't say that he disliked Mitch, just that the fanbase as a whole disliked Connie and Mitch's relationship. I loved Mitch. I thought he was a terrific character and an excellent addition to the show, but whenever he and Connie were in a scene together, I reached for the nearest bucket. I'd be happy to even see him to return to the show, so long as Odyssey passes a bylaw keeping them at opposite ends of the city.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

Well we haven't seen much of Spencer Hicks as a mayor yet, so who knows? Maybe he'd make that law a glorious reality, unlike Margaret would've...
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Wish You Were Here because in that album we are not exposed to the absolute horror and stupidity of Connie dating.
Last edited by Laurie on Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Wow, I'd never thought of it like that...good job at picking that out, even down to the titles of the episodes! I wouldn't say Connie and Joanne are really super different though...but I'd use the similarity of a young character going with an older and wiser character who learn life lessons together.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Boswell wrote:
Catspaw wrote:...unlike Leonard, I like Mitch, so the ending wasn't the cause of great rejoicing for me. :(
Leonard didn't say that he disliked Mitch, just that the fanbase as a whole disliked Connie and Mitch's relationship. I loved Mitch. I thought he was a terrific character and an excellent addition to the show, but whenever he and Connie were in a scene together, I reached for the nearest bucket. I'd be happy to even see him to return to the show, so long as Odyssey passes a bylaw keeping them at opposite ends of the city.
Sorry, my mistake. Some people don't like Mitch just because he's the half of Connie and Mitch who has less seniority ;) so I unfairly grouped Leonard in with those people. I really enjoyed some earlier Connie and Mitch stuff, but towards the end, the writers had to make them less likable when they knew what they were going to do to their relationship, I guess. :( I still like Mitch, though. I would accept the return of Mitch and that bylaw being passed as long as they got a nice chat in first where they acknowledge that they can be friends who rarely see each other.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

Wow. That is a very detailed list, KBT. You really put a lot of effort into it. I love the Eugen and Bernard ones because they are very funny, but Conni and Joanne's are good too. Even though they have a more serious tone to them, they are still great to listen too. :yes:
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis