Bulk PM's

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
No way I broke the window

Bulk PM's

Post by 31899 »

Please stop sending block pms. If you have something to say to many people please just start a topic, I don't care if you want it to be secretive or not, I just don't want my inbox spammed.

Thank You :)

P.S. I'm pretty sure there is some rule against them, (although I am not entirely sure).
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

Here are the rules of Bulk PM's:
Town Rules wrote:2.3 - Private Messaging
Please do not PM multiple people on the board with the same message to promote yourself, gain attention, or attract supporters. The private message system allows two people to have a private discussion – it is not a way to promote one's ToO shop, ToO thread, ToO political campaign, or to serve as a personal message board by PMing everybody who is online at the moment, or everyone on the board. If you feel you need to communicate with a large number of members, please use the message board itself... a thread will get more attention and save you from alienating those who feel they have just received ToO Junk Mail.
Unless a lot of different people have been PMing you, it may be more effective to just privately ask an individual to stop. This is just a recommendation, as I don't know all the details about your specific dilemma.

Post by 31899 »

I've received three (I think, at least two) over the past term, that is why I am bringing this up. :-k

Last edited by 31899 on Sun May 29, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

Okay, so the above rules definitely apply to whomever has sent the messages.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Please do not PM multiple people on the board with the same message to promote yourself, gain attention, or attract supporters.
I'd just like to note the conditions of that rule. ;) There are some legitimate reasons to PM a number of people that would not fall under this rule. Such as messages from the admins to a group, etc. :-

I think the main problem is that anyone who replies to those messages has to realize they are the ones responsible for privately replying to the sender if they want to - do NOT send the reply to everyone on the list. That is what fills up inboxes, not the beginning announcement/message. :)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Yes, it's mostly the replies.

If someone sends you and several others a pm, please ONLY reply directly to the person who sent it. This will prevent a lot of chaos. :)

SnC Forever. Miss you still.

Post by 31899 »

Laura Ingalls wrote:
Please do not PM multiple people on the board with the same message to promote yourself, gain attention, or attract supporters.
I'd just like to note the conditions of that rule. ;) There are some legitimate reasons to PM a number of people that would not fall under this rule. Such as messages from the admins to a group, etc. :-

I think the main problem is that anyone who replies to those messages has to realize they are the ones responsible for privately replying to the sender if they want to - do NOT send the reply to everyone on the list. That is what fills up inboxes, not the beginning announcement/message. :)
I don't mean to disagree/argue, but it does go on to say,
....or to serve as a personal message board....

Last edited by 31899 on Sun May 29, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

31899 wrote:
Laura Ingalls wrote:

I don't mean to disagree/argue, but it does go on to say,
....or to serve as a personal message board....

There are a few times when it just wouldn't work out to do anything but pm..if you catch my drift. :-

But maybe it would work you well in those instances ^ to send the message to all the people as bccs. Then it will be more person and no 'reply all's :yes:

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

...or one could just ignore the bulk PMs and enjoy life. \:D/ I mean, yeah, we should try to teach everyone to reply directly to the sender, but new people will always fail, so there's no reason to get all worked up over it. ;)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

*bulk PMs everyone telling them to deal with it*
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

*deletes PMs*

It's not that hard to select and delete, you know. :-

\:D/
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Ew
Last edited by Knight Fisher on Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Knight Fisher wrote:
American Eagle wrote:...or one could just ignore the bulk PMs and enjoy life. \:D/ I mean, yeah, we should try to teach everyone to reply directly to the sender, but new people will always fail, so there's no reason to get all worked up over it. ;)
Always? always? :( Thanks for the vote of confidence. ;) *Will not be bulk pming, seeing as he read the rules.*
Hey, a new person who has read the rules! ;) I look forward to you proving me wrong, Knight Fisher.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Murphy's Law, AE, Murphy's Law ;)
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer