Potty Training

Stories within respectability!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Anne
OK

Potty Training

Post by Anne »

I am currently living with my young cousins, and a three year old who is still in the process of potty training. For the longest time he simply refused to use the toilet and was in diapers till he was over 3 and a half, and then finally he decided he would be a "big boy". He's actually had very few accidents, but I have had to clean up two or three of them (one of which was today), and its been quite an experience, as I really don't like "gross" things. Anyone else had the joy of helping a child potty train, whether a sibling, cousin, child, friend, etc.?
My aunt keeps telling me I'm being prepared for parenthood, but some things I would just as soon learn then. :)
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

I had one of those little potty trainer-thingies. It had Superman on the side. :anxious:

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Alas, it is a game I cannot beat. :(
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

COWBOY OF TEXAS wrote:I had one of those little potty trainer-thingies. It had Superman on the side. :anxious:
Thanks for sharing, dear! ;-)
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Bulk wrote:Alas, it is a game I cannot beat. :(
I hope that's a good thing. ;)

-Cowboy
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
Aelwyn
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Aelwyn »

I've had times where the kid's still in diapers and she wants to use the bathrrom, not have her diaper changed. So I ended up changing her diaper in the bathroom.
I have not yet had the experience of helping potty train a kid. Yet. :anxious:
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Monday wrote:
COWBOY OF TEXAS wrote:I had one of those little potty trainer-thingies. It had Superman on the side. :anxious:
Thanks for sharing, dear! ;-)
Your turn. ;)

-Cowboy

Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

I've had lots of happy potty-training expiriences...and am quite fond of the marathon sessions where you sit with the child in the bathroom until they go... :D

And I never got to wear any of those toilet training pants...*feels deprived*...we had cloth diapers. :sad: *will never ever use cloth diapers on her children* :noway:
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Frank wrote: And I never got to wear any of those toilet training pants...*feels deprived*...we had cloth diapers. :sad: *will never ever use cloth diapers on her children* :noway:
My older brothers used those, then synthetic (or whatever you call them) diapers came out...

... Now we use them as towls. ;)

-Cowboy

hubcap
new and improved danny
new and improved danny

Post by hubcap »

COWBOY OF TEXAS wrote:
Frank wrote: And I never got to wear any of those toilet training pants...*feels deprived*...we had cloth diapers. :sad: *will never ever use cloth diapers on her children* :noway:
My older brothers used those, then synthetic (or whatever you call them) diapers came out...

-Cowboy
Excuse me...Mister "Let me fix your grammar and spelling errors" towel is spelled TOWEL...not towl. lol
Do you believe in the couch?
Carrie Ingalls
An original

Post by Carrie Ingalls »

Danny wrote:
COWBOY OF TEXAS wrote:

Excuse me...Mister "Let me fix your grammar and spelling errors" towel is spelled TOWEL...not towl. lol
No actually towl is the term for a piece of cloth that at one point was used as a diaper. ;)

I don't remember my siblings being potty trained, but I do remember cloth diapers, and never getting to use pull-ups because they cost too much. :(

About a year ago I was baby-sitting a little boy who was being potty trained. Oh my, that was an experience! The parents had decided it was time he used the potty. So the just put him in underwear, and I had to clean up the messes. One time I was taking the dirty ones off and the kid was having a tantrum...he stepped in it continued his tantrum (jumping around the bathroom and screaming). Needless to say he really made a mess. I got him in the tub and started cleaning up and the mother got home.... :roll:

~OrigamiKid

btw I still work for that family and they just had another kid a few days ago.
In the darkness, my thugs silently protect the girls from sketchy Bostonians
Thirteen is a prime number. I hate prime numbers. ~Trent DeWhite
OrigamiKid= Is seen working with square pieces of imported paper. ~Sarai
Aelwyn

Post by Aelwyn »

Me and my friend (Barely Is) were watching a couple little girls once, and we had problems with one little girl who wouldn't tell us when she needed to use the bathroom. Needless to say, we went through a couple accidents. Then Barely Is or I would take her in there whether she needed to or not! (Poor girl!) I don't think the girl was traumatized or anything, though. :anxious:
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Danny wrote:
COWBOY OF TEXAS wrote:

-Cowboy
I can't spell as well at 3:00 o'clock in the morning, sorry. ;)

And I even got on gmail to see how to spell it. :(

-Cowboy

Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I "got to" help potty train my little brothers and sister. Not the most exciting experiences ever, imo.... But, hey, it beats changing diapers any day!
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Country Girl
Classic

Post by Country Girl »

No siblings here :P
but I do have cousins.... but I haven't really helped potty train them (though I have kinda sorta some, maybe) I'm better at getting them to stop crying, and getting them to go to sleep
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

Evil Chick wrote:I "got to" help potty train my little brothers and sister. Not the most exciting experiences ever, imo.... But, hey, it beats changing diapers any day!
I had to help my older sis change my little bro and sis´ diapers when I was like 5 or 6 years old (she was about 8) because my parents were sick with hepitites (if that´s how you spell it) and we were on our own basicly, but they were cloth diapers!! how I hated cleaning them.... :sick:

Lucy
don't forget the rain.
Aelwyn

Post by Aelwyn »

I don't mind changing diapers so much, but then I've never changed a cloth diaper. However, I can see why that would be nasty. :anxious:
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Post by ajamj »

I have kids.

1. Cloth diapers are nasty. My daughter reacted to disposables so I had to use them with her. I didn't re-use them as towel. My dad used them as gun rags.

2. If the child is not ready to be trained, they won't be.

3. Constant reminders
"Do you have to go potty? Let's just try" Often they will say they don't have to go but when you take them to "try" they go!

The best way to help make potty training easier, besides the constant reminders, starts at birth. Changing the diaper as soon as it is damp or messy keeps the child from becoming used to that feeling. You may go through an insane amount of diapers (infants "go" like 17 times a day!)but the benefits are worth it, no rashes, etc.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I've never really had any experience with potty training myself, but here's a little incident that happened fairly recently.
I was helping out in the nursery at church, and there was this little 4 year old boy. (He is such a cutie.) The other girl in the nursery and I noticed that he got really quiet and started crossing his legs and stuff. It was the funniest thing to watch!
We kept asking him if he needed to go, but he insisted he didn't. Finally, the other girl said we needed to take him anyway, or we'd have an accident on our hands. She had to carry him kicking and crying into the bathroom, but he went and was much happier afterwards! :D
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
jasodia
I'm not Gabe

Post by jasodia »

The two-year-old I babysit on Wednesdays always says, "I don't need to go," but then when you sit her down she definitely needed to go! My sister was potty trained at barely two because she wanted big girl panties. Shes never had an accident since (she's 18 :D )

my best friend is pink jeans!
"I don't pretend to be Captain Weird. I just am."
-Johnny Depp