Whit overkill

Maybe this would revive his character.

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Kris Doyle
Still standing tall

Whit overkill

Post by Kris Doyle »

I like Eugene and Tom story arcs (especially Eugene), but many people have said Whit's lost his personality. I think if they made him the star of a whole story arc, this might force his character to shine thru, cuz sometimes (like in the ep about PLEASE/Hand up) he still seems (IMHO) to shine like he used to. Part of the prob could be because he's had so many absences from the show and sometimes so little 2 do when he was on.

Maybe he could go on another (shorter than b4) missions trip, but the story could follow him instead of staying in Odyssey. Or maybe he could do more work for the Dept of Def or Natnl Security Agency. Or (like in The Search For Whit) they could combine the ideas. Or...who knows?
God bless you, in Jesus' name!!!! :D
"Then Peter said unto them, 'Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.'" (Acts 2:38)
Visit the website of my home church: http://www.freshanointingupc.org
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

Whit will never be the same Whit without Hal Smith behind the mic. I am convinced that nothing the AIO writers or Paul Herlinger can do will ever "revive his character"

:(
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

I dont think Whit will be on as much. He too was in a LOT during Novacom. Paul H lives in Washington. Plus all the good old men are getting old. He will never be as good as Hal to a lot of us. But we are thankful he has been Whit.
Thats why I dont think AIO should end if he dies. He isnt the central focus a lot anymore.
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

I would love to hear more about whit's past.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

poWerbOy wrote:I would love to hear more about whit's past.
Me too!!
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

He used to laugh. Now he doesn't.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Another problem, that is. I've heard some say it wouldn't have the same effect, but I disagree. Some of Paul's first eps had him laughing, and it wasn't as good, but still, well...you know what I'm trying to say
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

Agreed, Whit is still ever as wise as he used to be but he lacks joy. Hal's Whit was joyful, he loved helping people. Paul's Whit just seems a bit slow and less excited about life.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
map
Found

Post by map »

I think he needs to find a new purpose or a new way to reach the kids. He is such a main person, but they need to find a new story to involve him in. Maybe he should help Eugene search to see if he father is still alive?
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Kris wrote:I like Eugene and Tom story arcs (especially Eugene), but many people have said Whit's lost his personality. I think if they made him the star of a whole story arc, this might force his character to shine thru, cuz sometimes (like in the ep about PLEASE/Hand up) he still seems (IMHO) to shine like he used to. Part of the prob could be because he's had so many absences from the show and sometimes so little 2 do when he was on.

Maybe he could go on another (shorter than b4) missions trip, but the story could follow him instead of staying in Odyssey. Or maybe he could do more work for the Dept of Def or Natnl Security Agency. Or (like in The Search For Whit) they could combine the ideas. Or...who knows?
How about "No Way In" and "No Way Out"? Did Whit shine in those episodes? :-k
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

DanP740 wrote:He used to laugh. Now he doesn't.
yeah you're right. whit needs some more joy in his life.
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

Chandler wrote: How about "No Way In" and "No Way Out"? Did Whit shine in those episodes? :-k
I've never had a problem with Paul's action sequences. He seems to handel suspense oriented episodes pretty well, but he simply lacks joy, as has been stated previously.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Kris Doyle
Still standing tall

Post by Kris Doyle »

How about "No Way In" and "No Way Out"? Did Whit shine in those episodes?
Yes, and I think Whit does still shine sometimes. In fact, I wrote about "reviving his character" b4 hearing "All Star Witness." In this and several other recent episodes (like "Back to Abnormal"), his character has consistently been better than usual in a long time. More the loving, advice-giving type of guy he used to be. Although he still doesn't seem to laugh nearly as much as when Hal Smith played him. Many of the writers didn't work with AIO back when HS was alive, and I think Whit's character has strayed from what he was back then--partly because HS probably ad libbed some of those laughs, but also because HS isn't around to remind them (by his own personality) what Whit is supposed to be like. But in shows like "Odyssey sings" (somewhat) and the 3 "Eugene Returns" eps, + several other shows (just not often enough, IMO) Whit's done above his average.
"Then Peter said unto them, 'Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.'" (Acts 2:38)
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

What I find funny, is that in "A Search for Whit", Whit was very much the old Whit.

Anyone remember the first line said in 'Whit-Fashion'?

"Hi Eugene, it's good to see you again!"

Re-listen to that line again if you forget it. That was pretty perfect to the old Whit. I just think that he studied the role so hard in the first few episodes, that he let it go after a while.

Still, I never complain about the New Whit. Just because I'm glad their is one. And so, that finishes my participation in this topic.

BC
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

Kris wrote:But in shows like "Odyssey sings" (somewhat) and the 3 "Eugene Returns" eps, + several other shows (just not often enough, IMO) Whit's done above his average.
I completely disagree; above average for Paul maybe but not Whit. But then, there really isn't that much more to be said...
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Kris Doyle
Still standing tall

Post by Kris Doyle »

STRYPER wrote:
Kris wrote:But in shows like "Odyssey sings" (somewhat) and the 3 "Eugene Returns" eps, + several other shows (just not often enough, IMO) Whit's done above his average.
I completely disagree; above average for Paul maybe but not Whit. But then, there really isn't that much more to be said...
I guess I shoulda been clearer. i meant above Whit's recent average. Not above his alltime avg.
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

i can remember hals laugh
Kris Doyle
Still standing tall

Post by Kris Doyle »

I'd say Whit's character is starting to improve, but he's still a hit-and-miss character. I think Whit overkill would give him more "hit" and (at least temporarily) less "miss." But I got2 go. I'm between classes @ school, and I need to study.
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

The BC wrote:
Still, I never complain about the New Whit. Just because I'm glad their is one. And so, that finishes my participation in this topic.

BC

very good point. that is how i feel about katrina.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

poWerbOy wrote:
The BC wrote:

BC

very good point. that is how i feel about katrina.
Same here.