I was in a vehicle accident on Sunday night...

which leads me to believe that my van's mother was a hearse.

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

I was in a vehicle accident on Sunday night...

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

So yeah, we (my family and one family friend) were in a rather bad car accident on Sunday night. We were driving home from church and I was eating a Tim Horton's chocolate-dipped donut ( =P~ ) and looking forward to watching the Oscars on TV. \:D/ We were driving through an intersection on a green light, so my Dad was taking it slow. Lo and behold, I see flashing blue and red lights, but no siren. A cop car was going through a red light and didn't slow down at all. Dad hit the brakes, but it was too late. The cop car ended up slamming into the right front corner of our van. :shock: Also, icy roads + fresh snow = not good. We ended up spinning about 200 degrees and then some. Weird thing is, the air bags didn't deploy. :-k

Anyhoo, the first thought that came to my mind was "Oh shoot, not AGAIN!" ](*,) because we had a similar accident in the summer of '07 (again, not our fault). The second thought that came to my mind was "Thank You God for keeping us all safe." :pray: The third thought was "Where's my donut?" :hilarious:

That police officer had the gall to come up to the van and say to my Dad "I had a green light! What were you thinking?!" :evil: Dad counteracted that by pointing out that all of the other cars had stopped, indicating a red light, and then Dad got out of the van and talked to some witnesses who backed up Dad's statement that Dad had the green light. The cop kind of shut up then. :twisted: Ironically I saw a whole bunch of people coming from our church so I was busy waving at people I knew and giving them a big smile to show that we were all ok. :lol:

Around this point the adrenaline wore off and Dad started limping because his knee started to seize up on him. :shock: He had a hard time getting back to the van, and he was in some bad pain when he got back in. By this time the other cops had shown up, so one of them called for an ambulance so we could all get down to the hospital. (Tip: If you are in a car accident, it's always a good idea that everyone who was in the car pay a visit to a hospital just to get checked out.)

Anyhoo, to make a long story short, I got to ride in an ambulance with my parents and the family friend (my sister was lucky in that she had gone over to a friend's house and missed the whole thing), got checked out and founds out that I had, once again, escaped unscathed save for a small bruise on my left shin, and got intervieved by a police officer for the first time (THAT was interesting, to say the least).

:mecry: R.I.P Honda Odyssey HEW JARS, my baby, who may be completely totaled though it saved our lives in the process. Seriously, that van has the skin of a tank, we're pretty sure.

EDIT as of this morning: By golly, the crash was on Mix 103.7 (local radio station) hourly news. :shock: First time that's ever happened to me before. As usual, they got one of the facts wrong (THERE WAS NO SIREN :evil:) but other than that, they stuck with the truth.

Haystack
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

What year was your car's model? Sometimes airbags do not deploy when the force is in a certain direction, especially on older vehicles.

Side airbags tend to be deployed less than frontal airbags anyway. Cars are primarily designed to cushion impact from the front.

Praise God no one was killed!

Only one thing bothers me: where was your donut?
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
JesusIsAlive
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)

Post by JesusIsAlive »

Wow, that's some story. I'm glad everyone was alright! \:D/
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I'm glad to hear you and your family weren't hurt too badly. I wish your dad a speedy recovery!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah, glad to hear everyone was relatively okay... I enjoyed your colorful method of telling the tale. \:D/
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

The Top Crusader wrote:I enjoyed your colorful method of telling the tale. \:D/
As did I! We're glad you're safe and had the bystanders to back up your dad.
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

My van was a 2007 model.

Ha, later on we found my donut. Alas, I was very sad because it had landed in dirty snow. :( RIP my donut. However, the next day I got another one so all was forgiven. \:D/ I should probably insert a cop/donut joke here, but I can't think of any. :lol:

Haystack
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End
It’s my birthday

Post by Evil Chick »

Lol... You crack me up! :lol: Great story! Even if it is not a happy thing... At least you got a good story out of it! :D
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

I would be glad the road was icy. It allowed a little of the force of impact to be diverted toward sliding/spinning the van, rather than crushing it.

BTW, I think that cop should be demoted. How could he forget to put his siren on??
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

This reminded me of Arwen's accident last month; I'm glad everyone's okay this time too! It can get scary out there. ...and definitely not the typical car accident story - loved the smileys! :D
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

the_newfie_haystack wrote:Seriously, that van has the skin of a tank, we're pretty sure.
Meh, I'd only say that if you could hit it with a wrecking ball, and set it on top of some 25 story apartment buildings being destroyed by controlled demolition and then driving off in it. ;)

Btw, you could be my business' first customer if your family wants help deciding on a new car. ;)
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Felicity Blackgaard
I'm not Gabe

Post by Felicity Blackgaard »

You poor thing! I'm certainly glad you're all safe. And that cop had a lot of nerve. They seem to get off so easily. At least the witness' are backing your family up.

Woo hoo, see, you're famous! Back in '07 I was in a severe traffic accident and was pinned inside my car. I was on the news too. XD

Seriously, I'm glad you're alright and now you can laugh it off. I can't do that with mine. I suppose because mine was simply too tramatic. I was rushed to a trauma unit and the pain was unbelievable. >_<
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

DanP740 wrote:
the_newfie_haystack wrote:Seriously, that van has the skin of a tank, we're pretty sure.
Meh, I'd only say that if you could hit it with a wrecking ball, and set it on top of some 25 story apartment buildings being destroyed by controlled demolition and then driving off in it. ;)
You forgot to add: Make it to the Magnetic North Pole and back, set on fire, have a caravan dropped on it, and drive across the English channel!
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

Ah, definitely glad everyone was OK. So it's definitely been proven that it wasn't your fault? I'd hate to get into an accident with a cop. I wouldn't expect to get away with it. The tricky thing with this is that the cop DID have the right of way (he doesn't have to stop for the red light), but there's no way you could have known that at the time. Hope everything works out car-wise (BTW, I didn't get any insurance money until like two weeks ago!).
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Arwen wrote:Ah, definitely glad everyone was OK. So it's definitely been proven that it wasn't your fault? I'd hate to get into an accident with a cop. I wouldn't expect to get away with it. The tricky thing with this is that the cop DID have the right of way (he doesn't have to stop for the red light), but there's no way you could have known that at the time.
Now you see, that's the problem. I don't know wht the law states down in the US, but up in Canada the law states that it doesn't matter if the cop has lights on or full sirens blazing. He has to make a full stop at any red lights before proceeding. It's the law, and the police force are in no way above the law. One of the witnesses, who is a firefighter, told us that. One of our other friends is an EMS medic and he told us the same thing. The cop was in the wrong because he didn't even bother to slow down. He just sped on through.

Haystack
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

So what are the full legal results of the situation for both parties?
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

^ No idea. The police said that it would take a total of six to eight weeks to process everything. Six to eight weeks my fanny :explode: . I bet if Dad was in the wrong they'd have everything 'processed' within a day and would have hauled my Dad into court by now. :roll: 'Tis ridiculous, but oh well, what can you do? :shrugs:

Anyway, heads up to everyone, Dad's knee is better and he's back to work today. \:D/ Yay! :D

Haystack
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Samwise wrote:
DanP740 wrote:
You forgot to add: Make it to the Magnetic North Pole and back, set on fire, have a caravan dropped on it, and drive across the English channel!
I don't recall them driving to the north pole, and they didn't drive across the English channel, it just almost went into it. Unless you're talking about a different show than Top Gear...
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

What an interesting story! I can't believe the cop would lie about that and try to blame your dad! I'm sure glad your okay. And it's cool that your story got told on the radio!
I do what I do.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

GlennAdams wrote:What an interesting story! I can't believe the cop would lie about that and try to blame your dad! I'm sure glad your okay. And it's cool that your story got told on the radio!
Just about any person would try to get out of the blame. People are inherently bad, not good.