Where do you work?

...and how did you come to work there?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Trillspots
Catspaw Rocks!

Where do you work?

Post by Trillspots »

So, I know that not everyone on the forum works... (although, I definitely consider "student" as a job title.) but for those of you who do, did you go through an application process or get a job through a friend, or family member? What have your experiences been with job interviews, resumes, etc?

I always worked for friends of the family before I moved here two years ago, where I didn't know anyone. I did book-binding/shipping, techie stuff for Quiznos, sales and inventory for Homeschool conventions, etc. But moving here a couple of years ago, and going through the process of getting a job the conventional way was actually really enjoyable for me. Even though I work because I do need the money, I enjoy working - and would probably work even if I had everything handed to me on a silver platter. I worked for Target for a while as a sales floor associate, and now I'm working as a second tier sales associate/consultant for Le Creuset -- as well as doing freelance photography.

When I applied for the job with "Le Creuset" I had never heard of the company before, and actually didn't know where the store was even located. I sent my resume in response to a craigslist ad requesting people with sales and PR experience. I went into the interview knowing I was the 15th person to be interviewed for the job - and they made me go through a "personality test" as well as a lot of other rigorous screening. (That is, after I walked around the area and went into different stores asking if I had a job interview there. :P )

My manager, who I've become good friends with now, waited a long time to call me back - and I was so afraid that I'd not gotten the job. I really wanted it, because I was feeling really taken advantage of at Target, they kept instating me as "active team lead" without giving me a Team Lead salary - and asking me to work overtime. Needless to say, I was very excited when I got the call offering me the job - and have moved up in the ranks just in the four months I've been with this job.

Anyway - enough about me, I'd love to know where everyone else works, if you enjoy your job, and how you're pursuing a more permanent career?

(Oh, I did search to see if this thread already existed and I couldn't find it...hopefully I'm not duplicating!)
JesusIsAlive
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)

Post by JesusIsAlive »

Well, on my last birthday, I went in to Dairy Queen to fill out an application. 3 of my older siblings have worked at DQ, and I figured it wouldn't be too bad of a job. I walked in and asked for an application from the manager, who knew me because my sister was working there are the time. She handed me an application and said, "Oh, you don't have to fill it all out. Just put down the times you can work and how many hours you want each week and sign it." \:D/ So, I walked in and was hired immediately. It was pretty shweet. :p I still work there, but I hope to get an internship at a radio station this summer if at all possible. :yes:
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

My primary job (both jobs are Speech-Language Pathologist positions, require a master's degree and clinical experience), I filled an online application, completed a test and then interviewed with a team of 5 people. My secondary job (at a hospital) I filled an online application and then interviewed with the director of that department (who is now my supervisor). I did attach a resume for both jobs and brought them to the interview.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I work at Zaxby's chicken wings \:D/

I got the job through a series of events which involved me filling out an application and them calling me. :-$
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I work at Zaxby's too, with Tyler, he introduced me to the ToO! \:D/

We have grease fights sometimes its pretty cool but it burns a little and can sting your eyes.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

The Top stealing Whit's ham Crusader wrote:I work at Zaxby's too, with Tyler, he introduced me to the ToO! \:D/

We have grease fights sometimes its pretty cool but it burns a little and can sting your eyes.
Man up! A little hot grease to the face never hurt anyone!
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

You should see the grease stains on the wall in the kitchen. *shakes head*
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

My job... crazy secretary at a law office... cleans, sometimes answers phone, and scans like crazy... I've gone through more paper than a recycling center has!!!!!!!!!!!! (And then shipped it off to clients).

I got the job because my Uncle offered it to me. My parents MADE me come up here for two summers in a row and work, then I moved in with my employer, and go to school, and work after school everyday because my Uncle's parents went to New Zealand, and his mom did the mail. Now I do it till they come back at the end of the week.

SO, pretty much, I didn't have to do ANYTHING to get a job.. blah. No one is fun anymore with me....
Guess Who!
I'm memorable

Post by Guess Who! »

I applied to grad schools in physics last week, I plan to eventually work researching particle or nuclear physics when I'm finished with my degree. I might get a masters in math too, not sure if I'll have time for that. I'm hoping to get a math internship this summer, to fill the time until I start grad school. (Here's hoping I get in somewhere)
Trillspots
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Trillspots »

That's awesome Guess Who!

Sounds like everyone has awesome stories!

It must be exciting to work in a law office...always something interesting going on.

...grease fights sound a little dangerous though.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I work at the Univeristy Press at the school I attend as a proofreader. A friend of mine works there, and she put me in contact with her boss. I had to go in and take a test so they could verify that I was actually going to proofread correctly, but it wasn't hard. :D
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Trillspots
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Trillspots »

Wow, I'm totally not observant enough for something like that. :P
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

I work as a freelance graphic designer (web & print). With school becoming busier, I have stopped doing it full-time and am only working on a part-time basis for generating some passive income. I started in the design field probably because my mom is an oil painter. Initially, I started only doing web work, but a Christian ministry asked me to work on a few book covers, flyers, and other print work so I started down that track as well. In the future, I also want to dive into the industrial design field (as opposed to two-dimensional projects). I am currently revamping my portfolio site with some wordpress 2.7 niceties. :)
Last edited by Samwise on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I clean once a week for my mom's friend.

It all started when the saw each other in wal-mart, for the first time in years, and talked about how the lady I worked for had problems with her back. Then the called each other a few times and I was offered a job. So then I worked there for a while and still work there now.
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

I currently work at Macys and do a bit of photography on the side... I came to work at Macys by filling out an application after a friend said they were hiring. I've been there for nearly 2 years - before that, I worked for my dad's business. As for the photography... Well, it started through word of mouth and people seeing my work. ;) After seeing my work they realized it was horrible and decided to tell everyone they knew about it! \:D/
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Evil Chick wrote:I work at the Univeristy Press at the school I attend as a proofreader. A friend of mine works there, and she put me in contact with her boss. I had to go in and take a test so they could verify that I was actually going to proofread correctly, but it wasn't hard. :D
That sounds like a good job for me. I'm really good at grammar and my family always asks me to proofread stuff for them. It seems like it could get pretty boring, though.

I've never had a job and don't plan on getting one for a while. Note - For the Fun of it. O:)
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Felicity Blackgaard
I'm not Gabe

Post by Felicity Blackgaard »

This sounds fun!

I work for DaVita Healthcare. We're a dialysis company and I work at one of our corporate offices in Irvine, California. My title is team file clerk. I make sure our team is supplied and make sure they get their paper work on time and filed too. I do many other things for my bosses and I do help other teammates with the workload if it's too much to handle for them.

I got the job by word of mouth. Somebody told me and I applied, Sure enough, I got the job. I didn't attend college, but I took many courses in medical billing and have extensive experience with dialysis patients and medicare and other fun stuff like that.

Wooh, that was fun. :)
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Currently I work as a lawyer, but its pretty dull so I'll tell you about my other (somewhat) recent jobs ;)

In college a group of my friends and I started our own computer repair "business" basically through word-of-mouth and subsequently went about undercutting the prices of the on-campus services. We had to split the pay three ways, but the economy in the area was awful so the money went a long way. After that, I went to work for Walgreens over the summer, which was an all-around awful experience culminating in my quitting after two months of endless shelf-stocking. After that I picked up a side job at Jamba Juice which was a bit more fun but I had to convince them I didn't want to make a career out of it!

My first summer in law school I worked as a law clerk intern which is basically code for an unpaid law firm slave. The next summer they paid me (which was nice) and the third summer I worked at a cat shelter in Rome. Shockingly, the pay wasn't all that dissimilar. ;) After I graduated and got my license, I worked for myself, basically pseudo-employed writing wills for people at church as well as other odds an ends. After that, a friend's father asked if I'd work part-time helping his fledgling corporation with all the legal flotsam they had to wade through and that lasted about 2 months. Currently, (the boring part) I work in the legal department of a bank doing...law. Its really exciting.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

King Butter Turtle wrote:
Evil Chick wrote:I work at the Univeristy Press at the school I attend as a proofreader. A friend of mine works there, and she put me in contact with her boss. I had to go in and take a test so they could verify that I was actually going to proofread correctly, but it wasn't hard. :D
That sounds like a good job for me. I'm really good at grammar and my family always asks me to proofread stuff for them. It seems like it could get pretty boring, though.
Actually, it's generally not. It's really fun! Mostly we proofread textbooks, and it's very educational. I've learned a lot reading 3rd grade science. :D Physics and Chemistry tend to be somewhat more on the boring side, espeically since I don't know a lot of the terms. But it's still fun. \:D/ Once we had to compare two editions of a Literature book word for word and punctuation for punctuation. That was actually really fun, believe it or not. Maybe I just get too much of a kick out of finding people's mistakes. I don't know. ;)
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.