Are intelligent computers possible?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Guess Who!
I'm memorable

Are intelligent computers possible?

Post by Guess Who! »

So does anyone here believe that there is anything preventing computers from becoming conscious in the future?

Not saying any computer can actually understand anything like we can now, but this is a hypothetical, what-might-happen in the future question.
Kenric
If posts were pigs...

Post by Kenric »

Guess Who! wrote:So does anyone here believe that there is anything preventing computers from becoming conscious in the future?

Not saying any computer can actually understand anything like we can now, but this is a hypothetical, what-might-happen in the future question.
I am officially a fan of your name!! Welcome to the site, btw!!
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

Guess Who! wrote:So does anyone here believe that there is anything preventing computers from becoming conscious in the future?

Those already exist in the kingdom of evil robot monkeys... next week the monsters below will be unleashed to the above world...
Trillspots
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Trillspots »

I love these kinds of questions...I will have a theory developed for you by the end of the week. Someone keep this thread bumped please! :pray:

-Trill
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

i think its possible and dangerouse .STOP IT FROM HAPPENING!
Kenric
If posts were pigs...

Post by Kenric »

To answer your question, no. I don't think they can have a "conscious". Human beings can not fathom how to create a robot like that because God Himself created us and created our brain. It's so intricate. Many scientists have dedicated lifetimes to exploring the brain, but it's so complex. For them to be able to create something like that would be impossible.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Welcome to the ToO!

And to answer your question, absolutely not. That is tantamount to creating life itself, which the rather mortal computer programmers are incapable of. It is possible for the 'computer age' to get out of hand (personally I think it has already), but not to that extent.
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

Definitely not.

Consciousness cannot come from just physical matter--not even a brain. Science cannot explain it. Secular humanist materialists cannot explain the mystery of consciousness. There has to be an immaterial soul or spirit in order for there to be consciousness--just like the Bible teaches.

Jeremy
Mr Sarcastic Cow Man
I'm memorable

Post by Mr Sarcastic Cow Man »

Uh... No? :anxious:
Bare feet pwn. ~ Lucy
Fenix
The Rich

Post by Fenix »

Computers becoming conscious? NO

But simulating conscisouness on a level close to a human being? YES, one day.
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

^Ditto.
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

I don't know, but it sure makes for good movies. \:D/

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Don't think so. Humans are smart but I truely believe we will never be able to replicate true life from nothing.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Guess Who!
I'm memorable

Post by Guess Who! »

Insight wrote:

I am officially a fan of your name!! Welcome to the site, btw!!
Thanks! I like the name myself... (that's why I picked it :) )

I think perhaps most of you who have answered "no" may just be unhappy with my use of the word "conscious," and so objecting on theological grounds. While I'm not sure I disagree with that, I was hoping to keep the topic somewhat off the "soul" side of the discussion, as it might just confuse the issue. So I'll reword the question to something a little more concrete.

Do you think it would be possible for a computer program to imitate a human in understanding so much so that in an instant message conversation with it, or on an internet forum, you would not be able to tell whether you were dealing with a human or machine?

I think the answer to this question may be yes. Whether or not this would constitute "true" consciousness, I do not know. That would depend on how one defined "consciousness."

Edit - please try to avoid double posts! Thanks! - Catspaw
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Post by NatetheGreat »

Guess Who! wrote:I think perhaps most of you who have answered "no" may just be unhappy with my use of the word "conscious," and so objecting on theological grounds. While I'm not sure I disagree with that, I was hoping to keep the topic somewhat off the "soul" side of the discussion, as it might just confuse the issue. So I'll reword the question to something a little more concrete.

Do you think it would be possible for a computer program to imitate a human in understanding so much so that in an instant message conversation with it, or on an internet forum, you would not be able to tell whether you were dealing with a human or machine?

I think the answer to this question may be yes. Whether or not this would constitute "true" consciousness, I do not know. That would depend on how one defined "consciousness."
I believe yes. It would just take an extremely huge database. As for the consciousness bit, I think that it's imposable to give a machine consciousness. I define consciousness as knowing you exist. I know I exist. I know I am thinking. I know I am here. I do not think my computer does or ever will.
Guess Who!
I'm memorable

Post by Guess Who! »

NatetheGreat wrote:
Guess Who! wrote:I think perhaps most of you who have answered "no" may just be unhappy with my use of the word "conscious," and so objecting on theological grounds. While I'm not sure I disagree with that, I was hoping to keep the topic somewhat off the "soul" side of the discussion, as it might just confuse the issue. So I'll reword the question to something a little more concrete.

I believe yes. It would just take an extremely huge database. As for the consciousness bit, I think that it's imposable to give a machine consciousness. I define consciousness as knowing you exist. I know I exist. I know I am thinking. I know I am here. I do not think my computer does or ever will.
You think a computer program can fool you into thinking it is another person while it doesn't even know it exists? I DON'T think so. I think you are harder to fool then that. If a program convinces someone that it can understand a conversation, than it must have at least a very limited idea of self-- and would know of it's own existence.

Incidentally, HOW do you know you exist? HOW do you know you are thinking? How sure are you, anyway?
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Post by NatetheGreat »

Guess Who! wrote:
NatetheGreat wrote:

You think a computer program can fool you into thinking it is another person while it doesn't even know it exists? I DON'T think so. I think you are harder to fool then that. If a program convinces someone that it can understand a conversation, than it must have at least a very limited idea of self-- and would know of it's own existence.

Incidentally, HOW do you know you exist? HOW do you know you are thinking? How sure are you, anyway?
With a very complex computer program I believe it could to some extant carry on a convo. As to how I know I exist, I actualy dont. But I know I am thinking because I'm thinking about thinking and alot of other stuff. And I'm sure I am me because I'm me even if only my thoughts are existant and nothing else.
Guess Who!
I'm memorable

Post by Guess Who! »

With a very complex computer program I believe it could to some extant carry on a convo. As to how I know I exist, I actualy dont. But I know I am thinking because I'm thinking about thinking and alot of other stuff. And I'm sure I am me because I'm me even if only my thoughts are existant and nothing else.

So you define "I" and "me" as "the one who is doing the thinking." But are you correct then in assuming that who you THINK you are is really the one thinking? Think about "people" in your dreams. Do they ever ask themselves if they exist? How would they answer that question?

A program that could REALLY fool someone into thinking it's a person would have to have at least a limited concept of self, and understand what thinking about thinking was as well. Otherwise, it wouldn't be complicated enough to mimic a person's thought.
Mr Sarcastic Cow Man
I'm memorable

Post by Mr Sarcastic Cow Man »

I think this would be relevant: http://www.alicebot.org/ (click on the "chat with A.L.I.C.E." link on the left)
Bare feet pwn. ~ Lucy
Kris Doyle
Still standing tall

Post by Kris Doyle »

Jeremy wrote:Definitely not.

Consciousness cannot come from just physical matter--not even a brain. Science cannot explain it. Secular humanist materialists cannot explain the mystery of consciousness. There has to be an immaterial soul or spirit in order for there to be consciousness--just like the Bible teaches.

Jeremy
Amen! O:) Some scientists claim they've created "life" in a test tube, but it wasn't really life. I think I read that they actually made some kind of amino acids or something present in all life forms.
BTW, I once saw a hilarious comic of a scientist with a test tube who was saying, "As soon as I create life in this tube I will have discredited the myth that it took an intelligent being to create it in the first place!"

LOL :lol:

God bless--
from Kris (in JESUS' name!)
God bless you, in Jesus' name!!!! :D
"Then Peter said unto them, 'Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.'" (Acts 2:38)
Visit the website of my home church: http://www.freshanointingupc.org